5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic vibes for a retro gamer
Published 10 months ago by Lung Mei

3.0 out of 5 stars So far, it's pretty underrated.
I don't understand all the hate that seems to be going around for this game. It's not going to change the gaming landscape, or be anyone's all-time favorite game.. But for what it is worth, it's a pretty and fun launch game for the newest Playstation. I have played a few hours into it, but I doubt that my opinion will change much from now until I complete it...
Published 10 months ago by Matthew C. Last

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic vibes for a retro gamer, November 19, 2013
This review is from: Knack (PlayStation 4) (Video Game)
This is a great game. I started gaming during the playstation one era. I feel a disconnect with today's modern games like call of duty and battlefield. New games are overwhelming with their mechanics. Basically I'm an old geezer that that doesn't like to go through lengthy tutorials just to start a game. Knack has the nostalgic feel of games that I grew up playing such as Spyro and Crash Bandicoot. The battle system while simplistic is really rewarding when you figure out how to not die. You start with the same moves that you end with so skill and learning enemy patterns is very important. Overall, this is a great game. It is a plus that the kids love it. There are not enough family friendly games these days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than many professional reviewers would have you think., November 17, 2013
This review is from: Knack (PlayStation 4) (Video Game)
I bought this game as part of a Launch Day bundle, and while waiting for launch I grew worried because many of the online reviews for the game were negative. Most of those negative reviews cited difficulty and repetitiveness.

I have to say however that I love this game. It is a throwback to the Crash Bandicoot style of gameplay. So yes, it can be difficult if you are not careful; but this isn't a game for mere smashing and grabbing. Once the simple mechanics of fighting are mastered, the game becomes very easy to play while at the same time remaining challenging. I'll explain. Most battles require tactical consideration, a careful approach. If you go into an engagement thinking that you are just going to smash some buttons, hop around, and storm through your opponents--you are mistaken. It's easy to be 1-shot or 2-shot by many of the opponents, and when you are facing 2, 3, 4, or more opponents like this...yes, you might die a lot. Until you learn the flow of the fighting and what Knack is capable of doing AND to approach each engagement with a plan. Once you get in the habit of doing these things, the combat is often quite easy as long as you stay focused on what you are doing. (I'm playing on Normal difficulty.)

As for repetitiveness...well, I'm about halfway through, after playing all weekend after launch. And it's not exactly repetitive. The maps are quite linear; you keep running into sets of opponents most steps from A to Z; and, yes, you have to kill them. Like many games. However, there is great variety in your opponents, and each has a particular way of fighting against you. So although the combat and mapping might make the game seem repetitive, it's actually not tediously repetitive because maps and opponents keep changing.

The graphics are quite nice. The voice acting is great (including the scripted dialogue). For me, there is no lag in the controls; everything works smoothly....EXCEPT the rare cases where Knack has to climb a building or wall: The climbing is really horrible. But he doesn't often have to climb; it's a rarity.

If I had to single out one possible fault, it might be in the story. I'm only halfway through, but already it's easy to see that the story hops about, with Knack and his friends getting whisked here and there, totally upsetting the flow of the story. Environments are very interesting, but it's weird seeing them whisked back and forth between different overarching goals.

There are hidden rooms throughout the game, and you really need to pay attention to the graphics, the environment, because its sharp detail will reveal sometimes minute changes (and sometimes obvious changes) to the prevailing architecture which signal a hidden room. Inside that hidden room, you'll find, besides power-ups, parts to devices that you can assemble once you've collected enough parts. Halfway through the game, I've only assembled three but I am close to having a couple more finished. These devices help gameplay, but not all evenly. (One seems quite marginal, since it's a detector for what is usually pretty easy to spot without a detector; but gaining for instance the ability to have stronger hits after so many punches have been landed -- a type of combo meter -- helps in gameplay. Some of the more rare devices are in theory even stronger for gameplay, but I don't have those yet.)

All-in-all, I would have to say the many reviews online are wrong about Knack. It is a fun, addicting game. Even if it is hard at first, you have an infinite number of lives and MOST of the time the automatic saves/checkpoints are not spread out very far.

I haven't had a chance nor the desire to test out co-op play, so I can say nothing about that.

3.0 out of 5 stars So far, it's pretty underrated., November 15, 2013
This review is from: Knack (PlayStation 4) (Video Game)

The game controls well, looks great, and actually provides a challenge (which is everyone's most surprising aspect). Enemies can take you out in just a couple hits if you don't watch yourself, so the dodge function is an ABSOLUTE must. Your size and power grows as you obtain relics throughout the stages, and this also serves as your health. The bigger knack gets, the larger his health bar becomes. Although that doesn't really seem to matter much since when you get bigger, so do the enemies. Then those larger foes are able to once again take you down in one to two hits.

Like I said, I doubt that this game will change the world. It may go down in history as being a Heavenly Sword level success as far as acclaim and memory is concerned. it's worth playing, if only to tide you over until more substantial games are released.

Keep in mind that if I could give it 3.5 stars, I would. I don't care for review scores, but that sounds about right as far as where I would place it.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad I picked this up!, November 15, 2013
This review is from: Knack (PlayStation 4) (Video Game)
I don't know why this game received all of the bad reviews from critics but let me say this game is pretty awesome. Beautiful graphics and simple gameplay that you can get addicted to within a matter of seconds. If you like the Ratchet and Clank or Jak and Daxter games, you will definitely like this game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Launch title for the PS4, November 11, 2013
ceLeon (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Knack (PlayStation 4) (Video Game)
UPDATE:
I beat the game over the weekend and without spoiling anything I think it turned out to be a great, sometimes frustrating, experience. In some places I felt like I was cheated being killed with one hit and that's where co-op game will help you a lot while playing it. If the second player dies, you don't have to go back to a previous checkpoint. When I was playing on my own I died so many, many times and when I found out how much I had to play again I wasn't happy because I had already used my power ups.

Another thing you should do is get the mobile app (I got it for iPhone) so it can help you get some of the pieces for gadgets to use during the game, it's your typical 'Bejeweled'- style game but if it helps get those gadgets faster, sounds good to me.

Yes, the story is predictable and the script is VERY cheesy, but I would not rate this game as bad, on the contrary I stand by my first review that it's a 'Great Launch title for the PS4'

ORIGINAL:
I wasn't really impressed when they first announced this game a few months ago. I definitely changed my mind!
As it has already been showed in several presentations before, the game style is very similar to what you would expect from games like Crash Bandicoot and maybe it's just me but I got a feeling it was also similar to Banjo Kazzoie, bringing a lot of really fun memories from a while ago.
My friend and I spent a couple of hours dedicated to the co-op mode only. It was fun, challenging while easy to get into it too. There are a few games that include a good co-op mode in the same screen lately. Most new titles focus more on the online experience but forget that some games were meant to be played with a friend, in the same room. I'm not sure if Knack will be considered one of the greatest Sony exclusives ever but it is definitely worth the money (especially with that deal they had "Buy 2 get 1 free") and time. Since Watch Dogs was delayed (I know it wasn't an exclusive but it was my go-to launch title). This and Killzone will have to make up for it for a few weeks at least.
Also, it's really cool seeing the character grow from a very small one to a HUGE powerful one!
I agree with one comment I read about the game somewhere that the levels are sometimes as amazing and epic as the ones you can find in God of War games
Summary:
-Graphics. The cartoonish style looks so real (You'll understand when you see it). Definitely an improvement from the previous gen but nothing crazy impressive. It will probably be outperformed by titles later in this generation. But for the time being, it looks great!
-Co-op mode is a blast. Probably the best reason to get a second controller right away
-Fun
-Engaging story
-Good variety of things to do

4.0 out of 5 stars Knack Is Your Standard Brawler Platformer, November 15, 2013
This review is from: Knack (PlayStation 4) (Video Game)
Knack is your standard beat-em-up brawling platformer. It feels a little like Crash Bandicoot, but falls short of its potential greatness. I feel that the main character has a low likability, and the game developers could had picked a better voice actor. Another flaw with this game is that once you break something, the particles just disappear. Over all the game play is fun, but lacks a replay value.

5.0 out of 5 stars The missing platformer riddle solved!, November 18, 2013
This review is from: Knack (PlayStation 4) (Video Game)
Simply put, Knack is awesome. I had my reservations before ordering it online, namely due to two factors: 1) It appeared to be a 'kids' game, and 2) Most of the major gaming publications, by and large, gave it mediocre reviews. After a little more research and checking out previews of the game I was sold. I'm proud to say it was the first game I've ever put in my new PS4. The best part about this game: It's such a fun break from all of the major release titles (COD, BF4, Killzone) that we've grown to love through the years. Knack is something new, fresh, and oh by the way, you don't have to turn it off in the presence of your little ones. The creative aspect of this game is amazing. Knack is sorta this secret weapon, he starts out as this little cute character that can transform once you progress in a given level to a giant sized don't mess with me type monster. I also enjoy finding the secret passageways scattered throughout each level to collect parts which enhance Knacks abilities. Knack is what it is, a fun, engaging, dearly missed platformer game on arguably the best next gen system. I implore you to grab this title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game for anyone, November 15, 2013
This review is from: Knack (PlayStation 4) (Video Game)
Great game really fun playing it with my little brother. I don't understand all the bad reviews for this it looks great almost like a Pixar movie and it is really fun and on normal it was some what difficult and it even rewards you for playing the game over again getting different knack forms. Great game would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knack is much much better than the game reviews are saying!!, November 17, 2013
Larry (Peru, IN, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knack (PlayStation 4) (Video Game)
First off I'm a Platformer from the beginning of Platformers! I had to write a review for Knack because I feel it has been getting a terrible rap from all of the game reviewers. So, on with the short review.

Knack is a fun character that has traits of Ratchet & Clank but combined as one character. I really enjoy the look of Knack. I play a lot of first person shooters so it is nice sometimes to step back into the cartoon type games.

The game play is smooth and the camera control is very well done. I would have liked to be able to rotate the camera myself rather than the game controlling it but they did a very good job of it.

The controls are easy and straight forward. If you play platform games you will have no problem adapting at all. There is no lag what so ever anywhere in the game.

So, now for my take on everyone complaining about dying to much and that Knack is to easily killed. That is BS! Sure if you just run straight for the enemy and start swinging away you are going to die. You must be more defensive and wait for the proper opening to attack. Each enemy has a weak spot and once you know it you'll be zipping right through the game. I'm playing on Normal mode right now and I'm not having any trouble what so ever. Sure I die sometimes but what fun would it be if you didn't.

I think Knack is one of the best PS4 games out right now!

If you like playing platform type games then do yourself a favor and pick Knack up.

5.0 out of 5 stars TRUST THE REVIEWERS SAYING UNDERRATED!, November 16, 2013
This review is from: Knack (PlayStation 4) (Video Game)
This is my first Amazon review ever. I know people say that a lot, but I'm doing it because I want to level out some of the mixed reviews it's receiving. I'll admit after reading some of the initial reviews, I was hesitant to even open my copy. I decided to take the plunge, especially with all the buy 2 get 1 free deals. At least I hadn't paid full price.

GAMEPLAY: I'm now a few hours in on Knack and I really can't support the sub-par reviews. The gameplay is excellent and that is what this game is about! It's sort of like Crash Bandicoot meets God of War. What's even more reason to get it is the local coop. It's perfect if you want to play with family, friends, or a girlfriend/boyfriend who don't normally play video games. The controls are simple, just a few basic moves like jump, attack, special attack, and dodge. I will say the the game has it's challenging moments. Playing on easy, maybe normal, the first time through is advised.

STORY: The storyline is your basic tale and seems pretty linear. It's enough to be interesting, but it's not it's driving factor. I'm not far enough into the game to say much more on this.

GRAPHICS: The game is very pretty, even if it is cartoon-like. Both the character and environment details are crisp and clear and you can tell it's a next-gen title. Knack has so many moving parts and I've found myself pausing to admire it more than once.

CONS: The reviews I've read take issue with the story, the cinematic sequences, and the fact that Knack's abilities are restrictive. I'd like to comment on those. No, don't play this game for the story. It doesn't make the game and that's ok. The important thing is it's not a deal breaker. Yes, the cinematic sequences do begin somewhat unexpectedly and are seemingly things that the player could have done themselves. Here again, it doesn't affect the game enough to be harmful. Knack's size and his power-ups are determined by the games design. So yes, the game does limit Knack on how big he can be, and what special abilities he has to take on the baddies. I think the game should have allowed a bit more freedom and let the player choose how they want to approach certain situations.

OVERALL: Sony was up front in saying this is a second purchase kind of game, and I think that's the best way to put it. It's also the reason you should buy a second controller. This game is exponentially more fun with a friend! Either way, the gameplay is worth the purchase, especially if you bought two games and need a third option for free. My biggest (but not big) complaint with the game is the fact that it limits Knacks size and abilities based on the area. I'd like a little more leeway on how I play the game. For that reason, I would give it 4.5 out of 5, but I can't so I rounded up.

Knack (PlayStation 4)
Knack (PlayStation 4) by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 4)
$59.99 $27.92