5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to this construction toy
My 7-year-old daughter loves this tub of K'nex, and has now foresworn her LEGOs. 400 pieces does not go as far as you might expect, however; you may find yourself shopping for an expansion set soon.

LEGO:

* you can build houses

* simple stacking approach

* upgrade to Technics for 3D building

* those adorable...
Published on January 23, 2007 by William Baker

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many small pieces
We had an old K'nex set and wanted to augment it with a larger set. We thought, with 400 pieces, this would be a great addition. However, upon receiving this, there were too many small parts; a size we've never seen before. Nowhere on the box or in the description is described that this is a mixed-sized set. Nor do they say on the website.

Looking at the K'nex...
Published on August 21, 2011 by Gabriel's Buddy

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to this construction toy, January 23, 2007

LEGO:

* you can build houses

* simple stacking approach

* upgrade to Technics for 3D building

* those adorable little LEGO people

* wider variety of pieces and sets

K'Nex:

* 3-dimensional construction

* more complicated trigonometric approach

* you can build bridges

* everything can rotate

And I saw a K'Nex set that lets you join LEGO and K'Nex ...

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many small pieces, August 21, 2011
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Knex Value Tub 400 pieces (Toy)

Looking at the K'nex sight, there are three sizes:
Standard: The original size, what we were hoping for.
Micro: These are tiny pieces, at least 1/2 the size of the standard.
Kids K'Nex: These are much larger pieces for very young kids.

These different sizes do not necessarily interconnect with the larger size (as Lego does with Duplo/Lego) and it is very frustrating that K'Nex doesn't say how much of each size one is getting in each set. The other sets (350/450) are similarly ambiguous.

Again, with Lego as the standard, I'd like them to list the number of each piece somewhere so one knows what they are getting. You can go to K'nex directly on their website and purchase parts directly instead of sets and it appears that this is the only way to get just the standard size.

We want the standard size becuase it is the right size for our children who like to make large creations but for whom the Kids size is too constraining.

1.0 out of 5 stars very small pieces, July 28, 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Knex Value Tub 400 pieces (Toy)
We have other K'nex sets and enjoy them very much. I purchased this for extra pieces unfortunately the bucket contains all tiny pieces and is not of use. I wish K'nex better labled what size pieces came with the tub.

4.0 out of 5 stars Many hours of fun, April 3, 2008
This review is from: Knex Value Tub 400 pieces (Toy)
I bought this set along with another set. I think it wouldn't be as much fun without more sets together. I bought them for my nephews to play with when they stay with me. My 8 year old nephew really loves them. He would spend all of his time building different contraptions if we let him. He loves to show them off and have us take a picture of him with it. My 11 year old nephew just wants to play video games. With a little encouragement, he did start to build "Cars" and want to take pictures. The hardest part is getting them to take them apart for next time. They always want to save them. There are a lot of different types of pieces and shapes, but often they want more of one type of piece that they used up. I also wouldn't get a set because of what the directions will help them build. My nephews just want to think it up themselves. I would get sets that have the most pieces. There is also a problem with small pieces rolling away and the dog getting a hold of them. I would only get this if you have a good place for them to play with a lot of small pieces that roll easily. They had a lot of fun when they discovered the small motor also.

1.0 out of 5 stars These are MINI-k'nex.., June 9, 2009
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Knex Value Tub 400 pieces (Toy)
Ok, so my son was all excited to get an Amazon.com gift card. He searched for what he wanted and found this 400 ct. box of K'nex. It came in the mail pretty quick but SUPRISE - these are mini-k'nex and won't work with the full size K'nex that he already has. There is nothing in the description that says this. Beware.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crappy- don't buy it., November 15, 2010
This review is from: Knex Value Tub 400 pieces (Toy)
When I was a kid K'nex were great. But this tub was a terrible purchase. For whatever reason they have two different sizes of K'nex pieces in this box that don't all fit together. I bought this for my nephews because they always had a blast playing with the k'nex sets that I had while I was growing up- but when they opened this box on their birthday and saw the small amount of pieces in the box and how they were different sizes I think they were pretty disappointed. I was embarrassed and disappointed too... Don't buy this set- it is totally crap and not worth the money at all! In fact, there are only like two different things that can be built from the pieces that are provided in this set- and definitely not enough total pieces to allow the kids to create their own things. This is a bad buy- stay away!

1.0 out of 5 stars These are not the original size, March 15, 2012
This review is from: Knex Value Tub 400 pieces (Toy)
Only about 15 knex pieces were the original size. All of the rest are really small. If you are looking for normal sized knex do not buy this set.

1.0 out of 5 stars A little pile of tiny pieces - Junk! Zero stars!, January 5, 2012
This review is from: Knex Value Tub 400 pieces (Toy)
Santa brought a very disappointing toy this year.... These K'nex come in a tub almost 2 gallons in size, with two very small bags of little pieces inside (maybe a quart of pieces?). When dumped into the tub, the pieces don't even cover the bottom.... The pieces are very small, the sort of choss the gets lost everywhere, then swept up in the dustpan and tossed.... The pieces are too small for kids' hands, or really even adult hands. In addition, there are two different sizes of K'nex in the tub, which are not compatible with one another. My son said, "Daddy, I like the big K'nex better...."

Anyway, this product is an exceptional ripoff! This product is the 180 degree opposite of a quality toy like Snap Circuits, which are built to last and have the kid in mind.

To Amazon: Please stop distorting ratings -- Please offer a "zero star" option!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great toy, a little misleading imagery, November 13, 2009
This review is from: Knex Value Tub 400 pieces (Toy)
My son got this from the Great Pumpkin in exchange for his Halloween candy. He LOVES it so I have no complaints about that, but these are MINI K'Nex, and that is not clear from the item picture or description. Just keep in mind that they won't fit together with any other sets of regular sized K'Nex, and that the size of the tub is GINORMOUS compared to the amount of pieces you get. One reviewer said it filled 1/4 of the tub... I would say more like 1/10, but who's quibbling?

Having said all that, it really is an excellent toy, GREAT for open ended play, spacial thinking, and imagination. I'm glad we got it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a great gift, January 15, 2007
tania "A some time listener." (Atlanta, GA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knex Value Tub 400 pieces (Toy)
All who have received this from us have been pleased, as our own has been with his. Some of it works well with Lego too.

Knex Value Tub 400 pieces