5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read
Kinley Macgregor has written an entertaining, warm, romantic story. I loved it and I am glad to see her return to the roots of her best writing.

Varian is a dark, brooding, intensely attractive male. He is half dark and half light due to his heritage. Lancelot is his father and Narishka, one of Morgan's allies is his mother. Because of his mother he has never...
Published on November 7, 2006 by Elaine C McTyer

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, the best thing about the book was its cover.
Published on December 13, 2006 by D. Shaffer

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, the best thing about the book was its cover., December 13, 2006
D. Shaffer (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I usually enjoy Kinley MacGregor books but after reading the second book in her Avalon Series, I have decided not to buy anymore Lords of Avalon. The first one was okay, but it did not inspire me to buy the second installment. However, after seeing the cover and reading the description of the second book I thought it might be better than the first book--it was worse. I agree with other reviewers about the Monty Python and Spamalot references, there were just too many. I have had limited exposure to Monty Python for a reason--I do not find it funny. Thus I found the book not funny.

Also, there were too many characters and alternate realms (it sometimes got confusing) introduced that the hero and heroine got lost and I had to force myself to finish the book. The storyline got repetitive about how unfairly and horrible everyone in the hero's life treated him--I kept thinking okay already, I get it, the hero's life sucked. Why is he even living in that realm and not living it up as a Hollywood hunk? Why is he even helping the "Good Guys" which I found hard to like and felt they were worst than the "Bad Guys" since the Bad Guys are supposed to be bad. Why not live in current earth time away from them and leave saving the world to the ungrateful jerks? I could have forgiven MacGregor if the book was more comedic than romantic. But the story was NOT romantic, NOT funny, NOT sexy and NOT interesting. Maybe if the setting took place in the present it might have been better since there were so many pop culture references.

I use to find MacGregor's books refreshing, but lately the heros of her stories are all beginning to seem the same--whether she's writing under MacGregor or Kenyon. The hero died a horrific death, the hero has a horrific life, the hero was treated horrifically......yada yada yada. I hope her Dream Hunter series proves to be better than the Lord of Ava-yarn I am almost reluctant to buy the book when it comes out in 2007.

1.0 out of 5 stars Spare yourself the Disappointment, March 24, 2007
I get the feeling that this is the branch of the Sherrilyn Kenyon/Kinley MacGregor franchise that is supposed to be a simple read - simpler than the Dark Hunter Novels, for example. The font was even larger in the Kinley MacGregor book than in Sherrilyn Kenyon books. I found the characters lacking depth, and the story - though littered with references to Camelot & all the paraphenilia, to be lacking in the development of these aspects of the story. It was as if you were supposed to know what all the stuff meant, and if you didn't there was a glossary in back to help you. In my mind that makes for a not well-written story. Sherrily Kenyon can do much better.

So this is the last Kinley MacGregor book I'll pick up.

I particularly found it annoying that the herione, Merewyn, was so invested in her own beauty. She won't allow anyone to get close to her when she becomes 'ugly,' and that is actually an ugly turn of events. I lost a lot of sympathy for her. Another annoying part was when a new hero showed up out of the blue near the end of the book to help Varion. It smacked of Deus es Machina to me - or at least a writer who likes to crank out new stories based upon the fascinating characters she manages to introduce. Merlin was not a sympathetic character - at one point he shows up pissed because of an event taking place. I didn' see enough of him in the story to be able to relate to a pissed-off Merlin.

There are lots of well-written Camelot stories out there. This is not one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL AS USUAL, November 29, 2006
P. Taylor (Fort Hood, TX) - See all my reviews
Kinley Macgregor does not disappoint with this novel. I loved Sword of Darkness and I loved Knight of Darkness. Fast paced novel that you do not want to end.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, November 3, 2006
I really wanted to get into this Lords of Avalon series, but after this latest installment, I will sadly have to give any future LOA books a pass. I thought the first LOA book was not strong, and this one is even worse.

The main characters are not convincing as romantic leads, and there is too much effort made by the author to score laughs instead of focusing on the character development. The constant Spamalot and Monty Python references get old, and the modern slang used by the characters seems silly.

There seemed to be little romance in the book, and the scene where the hero and heroine first kissed was kind of gross considering the heroine had been sick just moments before. Yuck. I could have done without that.

Overall, I'm disappointed with this series, and I'm an avid fan of some of the author's other work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could have been stronger, November 3, 2006
I did enjoy this book, but something was missing. It seemed a little uneven. The way that pop culture reference took over at times ( like the Monty Python references) was distracting.

Overall, it was a good escapism novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, April 2, 2014
Great read, I love how the old ugly one wins the heart of the hot guy. And most of all it shows how good always wins over bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars love, January 31, 2014
love love love. I own the whole series. I love all her books. she is a great author. One of my favs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be ready, August 23, 2013
Louise Norgaar (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I love Kinley MacGregor and her alter (but real) ego, Sherrilyn Kenyon. These books are completely different from her Dark Hunter Series, but all the better for that. When I see a new book by Kinley MacGregor I get it for my library, because each time I read it (and I do re-read them) I see something I missed the previous time I read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent author, March 23, 2013
I've read the dark hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon so I thought I'd give some of her other series' a try. I loved the Lords of Avalon series. It continues in the same writing style but with a medieval setting. (I ordered all of the others in this series too)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, February 3, 2013
I could not stop reading one I opened the novel. She is an amazing author. I will buy all her books.

Knight of Darkness
Knight of Darkness by Kinley MacGregor (Hardcover - 2006)
Used & New from: $2.22