5.0 out of 5 stars A Book With a Moral
My seven year old daughter and I loved this book. It had humor, valor, and a good moral throughout.There is a theme throughout about not being mislead by appearances. At this point in my childs education I am endeavoring to build a good moral foundation so I appreciate a good story that reinforces values!
Published on January 23, 2008 by S. Thomassie

1.0 out of 5 stars There are many better renditions than this!
Published on May 31, 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars There are many better renditions than this!, May 31, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Knights of the Round Table (A Stepping Stone Book) (Paperback)
This is an overly simplistic and poorly written introduction to the Arthur legend. If there weren't many better presentations of these tales for young readers, there might be an excuse for such a substandard rendering. Unless you want your kids to think that writing sentence fragments is preferable to constructing clear complex sentences, you might want to stay away from the entire "Bullseye Step Into Classic" series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful writing, terrible grammar, bad for children, October 1, 2003
By A Customer
In addition to the ham-handed telling of the story, the writing in these Bullseye books is just terrible. Half-sentences. Written like this. Or this. Part of the value of such books is that young readers will learn to read "chapter books." But the English and grammar in these books is so abysmal as to render them useless for this task. I was very disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Textbook example of how NOT to write sentences, August 19, 2002
sbrenning (Granbury, TX) - See all my reviews
It is hard to believe a book this poorly written could make past the editors! There were so many run-on and incomplete sentences I had trouble reading it to my daughter. I can only imagine what my second grade daughter went through reading on her own. We will keep this book if only to serve as an example of how NOT to construct sentences. There is a year's worth of grammar exercises in this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for reading to a younger child, February 2, 2003
By A Customer
I agree that this is not the finest book written on King Arthur, but it is one that can be read aloud, and easily enhanced by a grandmother anxious to read these legends to a second grader---- finding something appropriate for a young listener has not been easy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Example of Grammar, June 8, 2009
L. Pendleton "Book Fiend" (coastal North Carolina, United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book as a recommended resource for our homeschooling history program. I am STUNNED that such a book was suggested. The re-telling of the legends may be okay, but I couldn't get past the horrid grammar, incorrect punctuation, and sentence fragments to find out. One example is this: "There were loaves of bread. Steaming roasts. Goblets of wine. Fruits and honey cakes." If my child turned in anything written like this it would immediately be handed back to be written properly. There must be other adaptations appropriate for children written well. I strongly suggest searching them out and leaving this book alone. It is not worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book With a Moral, January 23, 2008

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good example of writing for my students, October 3, 2011
This book's grammar is terrible! I don't know how it became a published work. The stories are good and they entertain kids, but I was reading it with my students and was quickly horrified by the grammar. I hope none of them picked up on it.

Here's a direct sample from the book, "For seven days King Arthur and Sir Gawain rode through the land. They asked the riddle of every woman they met. Young maidens with flowers in their hair. Mothers carrying their babies. Poor women tending sheep by the road. Rich ladies covered with jewels. Some said that women wanted beauty. Some said love. Or wisdom. Or children. Or riches. Or Adventure. Or truth."

I'm pretty sure my second graders could write a story like this and get published with no problems.

1.0 out of 5 stars grammatical errors, November 30, 2011
I purchased this book for my 7 year old daughter to read, but after paging through it I ended up reading it out loud, editing as I read. Throughout the entire book there are grammatical errors, to include, mainly, incomplete sentences, and poor punctuation. I am trying to teach my children how to read and write properly. I certainly do not want them reading something like this and thinking this is correct! Here is an example from the text, pg. 10. "To fight with a sword and spear and dagger." Our children need a better example of proper writing than this! I wonder if it was ever proofed before being published?

3.0 out of 5 stars the knights, November 5, 2010
Lea C.W. "Lea" (Lea: Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I gave this book to one of my granddaughters & she says she is enjoying it..thank you....I purchased it through Amazon.com at a good price.

4.0 out of 5 stars King Arthur Stories for Children, February 21, 2011
Knights of the Round Table is a collection of stories based on the old Arthurian legends. The first chapter traces the lineage of Arthur and tells the story of the sword in the stone. Other stories feature Merlin, Lancelot, Morgan Le Fay, Sir Gawain, Lady Ragnell, and Sir Mordred. While this is a good adaptation of Arthurian literature, the occasional sentence fragments make the narrative choppy at times. Also, there are no stories about Galahad or the Holy Grail. Nevertheless, Gwen Gross has done a good job of relating these magical and adventurous stories of courage and unselfishness. Though designed for children, adults will find this book a good rendition of the King Arthur stories. Despite a few flaws, Knights of the Round Table is a decent book for anyone (parents of young readers in particular) looking for an adequate introduction to Arthurian literature.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Knights of the Round Table (A Stepping Stone Book)
Knights of the Round Table (A Stepping Stone Book) by Gwen Gross (Paperback - October 12, 1985)
$3.99