5.0 out of 5 stars What a Bargain!
Published on November 18, 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars It's pretty good
Published on December 31, 2007 by N. Polzin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Bargain!, November 18, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Knit Christmas Stockings!: 19 Patterns for Stockings and Ornaments (Hardcover)
I have had a blast knitting Christmas stockings for the whole family with this book. The great thing is, with one book, you have almost unlimited patterns available (much cheaper than buying a kit or a pattern for each stocking!), and yet everyone can choose a pattern that expresses his or her individuality. My husband chose the simple "Rustic Lodge" stocking, while I wanted the more challenging "Lace Brocade." And with the mix-and-match stocking, you really could have endless possibilities. The instructions were clear, although even when you use the exact yarn and needles described, check your gauge (you can't be off when you're knitting on a circular needle!).
One bonus about this book: almost every pattern has a slightly different way to turn a heel (and none of them are done with seams -- they're all knit in the round like real socks). If you have ambitions about being a sock knitter, this is an excellent place to start, since you can practice the techniques without the sock ever having to be comfortable enough to wear!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stocking Patterns, October 9, 2003
Kathy M (Cumberland, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
I loved this book much like it's counter parts, Knit Mittens and Knit Hats. I have made 6 stockings so far and intend to knit more. The patterns are explicit enough for the novice knitter. However there are patterns for the experienced knitter as well. I enjoy the shape of these books (they take me back to my childhood). I highly recommend this book. The "elves" have done well with this one. Merry Christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, January 5, 2007
Great book for all levels. The directions are clear and easy to follow with great pictures and graphics. The book also looks adorable hanging around on the coffee table

4.0 out of 5 stars clear enough for a novice, September 6, 2008
Someone made a handknit stocking for me when I was a baby, then when I got married, my mom made a matching stocking for my husband. When each of our children was born, my mom also made stockings for them. Well, this past Christmas as my son was expecting his first child, he asked me to make a matching stocking for the new baby for this coming year. I am a complete novice at knitting (the only thing I had made was scarves!), so I purchased this book hoping it would help me get through learning how to "turn a heel", and all those other complicated instructions! I'm very happy to say that I was able to make a beautiful stocking using this book as a basic guide ... the instructions and photos were very detailed and helpful, even to a novice like me!! There are some patterns in the book which are more complicated, so I think the book could be for more experienced knitters as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's pretty good, December 31, 2007
N. Polzin "grumpella" (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
I'm not nuts about the selection of patterns, but the patterns that are there are well-written and definitely meant to hold the less-experienced knitter's (moi) hand. Patterns in the knitting and crocheting world are usually written with just the stitches, leaving the knitter to guess what the outcome should look like. Not this little book, though their method succeeds to varying degrees. That said, pictures, in addition to the written hand-holding, for each stage of creation sure would be nice. Still, it's a good, basic book for getting started with making stockings. I don't regret the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars First time knitter and knit a stocking, October 7, 2010
I got this book because I wanted to have knit stocking for Christmas. The thing is that I had NEVER knitted before. Never. The directions in this book were so good that I completed my first knitting project and it turned out terrific. It was really fun to learn to knit in the round and the directions were easy to follow even for me, an absolute beginner. I would def recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage-like Christmas stockings, August 27, 2011
My grandmother knit Christmas stockings for all her grandkids. The stockings had Christmas designs knitted into them along with each child's name. When my firt grandchild was born, I knew I had to keep this tradition going. I looked EVERYWHERE for a similar pattern and finally found it in this book. Somehow, between my second and third grandchild, I misplaced the book! I was delighted to find it at a bargain price on Amazon.com. And I know exactly where it is to knit my fourth stocking this year!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Stockings Were Hung By The Chimney With Care . . ., December 7, 2013
One of my most treasured collections is the collection of Christmas ornaments and decorations that I've collected over the years, many of them items that my children or I have made. Nothing says Merry Christmas more to me than stockings hung by the chimney and some of the most beautiful are hand-knit, but trust me - patterns can be hard to find! I looked for years to find enough for my children to each have a knit stocking!

Author Gwen Steege has gathered together patterns for 11 different "full size" stockings as well as mini-socks, felted heart, star and tree ornaments, miniature felted mittens and socks and some cute-as-a-button ski sweater ornaments in Knit Christmas Stockings, 2nd Edition: 19 Patterns for Stockings & Ornaments - and it isn't too late to produce a few of these attractive projects for this year's celebration!

If you're new to sock knitting, have no fear. Gwen's also included a wealth of tips and instructions about every aspect of knitting that you need to know to turn out these projects, everything from choosing the correct yarn for a felting project and knitting a gauge swatch, to various stitches, abbreviations, how to turn a heel, changing yarns, following a knitting chart and much much more!

There are two problems specifically with the Kindle version of Knit Christmas Stockings, 2nd Edition: 19 Patterns for Stockings & Ornaments, for which I have subtracted a star.

● References to various charts given in the directions are highlighted in red, but they are for page numbers that do not apply to the Kindle version and are not interactive. You will have to hunt.

● There is no Index, so while there is a wealth of tips, techniques and other information, it is scattered throughout the volume, not easy to find when required

Grandmas $0.02 - These gorgeous stockings and ornaments will keep your needles flying on their way to becoming family treasures! There's still plenty of time to turn out a sock or two!

Highly Recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Such a Charming Book!, August 22, 2013
First Impressions: It is my favorite Christmas stocking book but updated! I own the first edition of this book, and I love it so much. I try to knit a Christmas stocking every year. Ooooh! The patterns have all been reknit with new yarns! Oooooh! The book looks so much more grownup too!

The Details: This book contains 19 patterns. Storey Publishing has updated the yarns for the new release and has reknit the stockings with the new yarns. I really love that the publishing company updated the yarns with the new editions. This shows that the publishing company cares about the product and isn't just looking for a quick dollar. All of the patterns are the same from the first edition of the book except for one. The Furry Felts stocking has been replaced with the sleeker Reindeer and Bells stocking.

The book itself looks much sleeker than the original book. Now the book is in the shape of a rectangle instead of a stocking. Also, the patterns are not in colorful boxes anymore. This knitting book blends in with your other knitting books. In short, it looks more grownup. The book retains its opening chapter on how to knit stockings and the anatomy of socks.

Final Impressions: I love this book. There is a ton of variety of Christmas stockings in this book. You will not get bored knitting the stockings in this book. I am super happy that the yarns were updated and that the patterns look less busy (no super colorful boxes breaking up the patterns).

I received this item for free in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, fun...Merry Christmas stockings!, December 4, 2012
Diana Newman (Lancaster, CA United States) - See all my reviews
From the shape of the book itself (like a children's Christmas story book) to the very clear and easily followed instructions, this book has a lovely variety of Christmas stockings in it. It's great for beginner sock knitters, and experienced knitters can take the basics and run with them.

It looks great in my knitting basket, too.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Knit Christmas Stockings!: 19 Patterns for Stockings and Ornaments
Knit Christmas Stockings!: 19 Patterns for Stockings and Ornaments by Gwen W. Steege (Hardcover - September 4, 2003)
Used & New from: $0.47