Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 3, 2009
The third installment of The Friday Night Knitting Club, Knit the Season is a feel-good holiday book that celebrates friendships, family, new milestones, and unlimited possibilities for the future.

Knit the Season offers readers the chance to revisit the characters from The Friday Night Knitting Club and Knit Two, following them as they reconnect during a holiday season in New York and abroad. A novel that continues to explore the dynamic of friendship between a group of diverse women, Knit the Season offers readers hope and joy after the long and sometimes painful road they've traveled with Georgia Walker, her daughter, friends, and family.

I, like many others, had a difficult time with the plot twist at the end of TFKNC, but this newest installment helped me see that it served as an impetus for the other characters. Kate Jacobs used the twist as a motivation for all the changes the characters make--they are dynamic--altering their life courses as a result of plot events.

By using memory flashbacks from various characters' perspectives, we get a closer look at how one character can influence the life path of others. The flashbacks in Knit the Season also serve to enhance the characterization of Georgia Walker in her role as mother, sister, daughter, granddaughter, lover, and friend. Like the Christmas tree garland she and her Scottish grandmother knit over the years, the characters are connected to each other by Georgia and form a strong chain that can't be broken by the passage of time, distance, or age.

Fans of TFNKC and Knit Two will really enjoy catching up with the circle of friends, especially when they are each poised to embark on new and wonderful opportunities. Knit the Season, to be fully appreciated, needs to be read after the first two novels. Those books help build the relationships and back story that pave the way for the happiness and closure of Knit the Season.

An enjoyable read, Knit the Season put me in a festive, upbeat mood. Jacobs includes some knitting patterns and delicious recipes at the end of the novel, inspiring me to get in touch with my inner Martha Stewart! If you've yet to read the TFNKC, consider adding it to your holiday wish list.

-Natalie of Book, Line, and Sinker
11.3.09
on November 10, 2009
I actually pre-ordered this book ... that's how much I enjoyed Kate Jacobs' first two installments in the "Friday Night Knitting Club" series, as well as her book "Comfort Food". However, unlike the other readers who have thus far reviewed "Knit the Season" here, I was somewhat disappointed in the end product this time.

Knit the Season is not a *bad* book, but it's also not a terrific one. Some of the plot elements were contrived and overly-predictable, and the author's use of flashback scenes/dialogue (snippets from various points in Georgia's life) was - to me - an irritating, extraneous interruption. For all of the characters' zeal about telling Dakota unvarnished stories about her mother, these flashbacks still paint a picture of Georgia as largely saint-like; the first book did a much better job at fleshing out her character and providing insights into the woman she was. Presumably, since Dakota was not a young child when her mother died, her memories of her mother would have provided her with a much more realistic snapshot of the woman than the vignettes that the flashback segments produce.

If I hadn't read the first two books, I would have pegged the characters here as two-dimensional. Dakota's "passion" for baking and her desire to ultimately pursue a career as a pastry chef - which was quirky, charming, and just one facet of her personality in the previous books - reaches nearly obsessive proportions throughout most of the book. Dakota also tends to stay "in her own head" a great deal. It would have been interesting (and more illuminating) to see her interact with her classmates or her teachers, but her interactions in the book are virtually limited to those that involve her family and the "knitters" although she is purportedly a full-time student. Anita is a spineless simp who allows her son to dictate her life. The spirit and "spark" that characterized her in the previous books is missing here. Catherine waffles back and forth about committing to her long-distance paramour, due to her inability to reconcile retaining her independence with being in a relationship. Professor-and-mom-to-twins Darwin and producer-and-single-mom Lucie - two of the more-interesting characters in the previous books - are, here, reduced to looking on from the periphery as their families share a duplex and each wonders how to let the other know that sometimes there's such a thing as too much togetherness.

You get the idea.

Kudos do go to Jacobs for including a brief but pivotal scene set at a Chanukah party given by Anita and her beau; it was nice to see the holiday included as more than an afterthought. However, I think I'd have preferred a better-conceived plot that wasn't shaped around the holiday season.

In sum, an unremarkable albeit quick read, with predictable outcomes. I wouldn't mind revisiting the Club, but I hope that next time there is a more compelling story to tell. Based upon her other books, Kate Jacobs seems to be a talented author, and this is not a bad book - it's just not a terrific one. I recommend reading the first two books in the series before heading into this one. And I recommend Jacobs' "Comfort Food" as a superior alternative that better showcases her talent.
VINE VOICEon November 3, 2009
This was a great read for the holiday season. I know that a lot of people are like me, and enjoy the break from our normal reads at this time of the year. This book captures the warmth and spirit of the holiday season to share with family and friends. This is the third book in the series and I had to go read the first two books before reading this. It's not necessary, but it gives you more history and background for each of the characters. I love the flashbacks from each of the characters and it helps with the reasons of their choices in life. Every character is different, but they each share a meaning and love of friendship. A truly warm and wonderful read for this time of the year.
on September 25, 2010
I totally enjoyed the first book in this series. . and liked the second. This third book, Knit the Season is really a disappointment. Too much time is spent recapping the events of the first two books, and there are senseless flashbacks to childhood events that have nothing to do with the story. I couldn't even finish it. I think the author needed to turn out a third book - and fast - for her publisher. And this trite and boring read is what we got. Too bad. Save your time and money. But do take a look at the first two books. The first book, especially, is a delight.
on February 21, 2014
This is the last of the Friday Night Knit Club series. Having read the first two books I have grown to feel that these characters have become part of my family as well. Once strangers who have all been drawn together through the venue of the knit shop, this group of people have shared their trials and tribulations, their dreams and aspirations, their innermost desires and fears, even the death of a cherished member, the reader begins to bond with them, even takes up her or his own knitting needles. We can relate to the real life challenges, the relative no one likes, the romance that is fleeting. It was just a nice book to read that was not too sentimental or soppy. It is my Kindle and I will probably read it again... kind of a feel good series.
on November 15, 2009
I really enjoyed TFKNC and I liked Knit Two, but admittedly a little less than the original. The third book seems to be a little more "phoned in." I agree with the reviewer who said that the characters are more two-dimensional here, and have lost some of their spark, particularly Anita. I found the entire plot with her son Nathan - just a plot device to provide conflict -- entirely unbelievable. I thought Jacobs did a better job trying to humanize Nathan (a very little bit) in Knit Two than in this book, where his actions are entirely unbelievable, and Anita's lack of backbone makes no sense. Part of the appeal of TFKNC is that readers can see themselves in some, or even all, of the characters. Of course I know people who had trouble with their parents remarrying, but I know no one who acts like Nathan or has a son like him. It was jarring.

Not trying to give spoilers here, but it's clear from the book description that a component of this novel are "memories" of Georgia. I found them contrived and not very compelling -- personally, I prefer my own memories of the Georgia I "met" in TFKNC over these little over-simplified, slightly schmaltzy vignettes. I also dislike some of the hackneyed narrative techniques she uses in this book and Knit Two, such as characters slipping into reveries (aka our insight into their memories, feelings, etc.) and then being interrupted with the way overused novel line, "Earth to So-and-so! Where were you?" If a character is going to give us info via a daydream, just do it already! You don't need to create a fake conversation around it.

On the positive side, although I didn't exactly believe it, I like the focus Jacobs places on Catherine and the growth of her character through the second and third books.

Overall, it was a light read and a fun, warm holiday catch-up with old friends, but a bit like visiting people you haven't seen in a while, and then you're not exactly sure why you were drawn to them to begin with.
on August 10, 2015
My rule of thumb for any book is that I know who the characters are when they first appear -- even if it's with an adjective such as firefighter or insurance salesman. I've never read any of Kate Jacobs' Knitting Club books, or I might have been familiar with the character Peri. But search as I did in this installment, I couldn't find her importance to main character Dakota within the first 7 pages. Sadly, I put down the book and will not finish it, nor will I give it to the knitting friend I'd planned. I was glad to see other readers weren't as happy with this story, either.
on July 11, 2014
What a fabulous sequel to The Friday Night Knitting Club. The whole gang is back and they continue to grow and have adventures that satisfy our cravings.
Pick it up after you've stopped for a yummy cupcake and enjoy.
on July 10, 2015
I loved Kate Jacob's first two books in this series, and, though I read some so-so reviews, bought this book anyway. It was missing the tension and intrigue of the first two books, but I still enjoyed it.
on September 10, 2014
I've been forcing myself to keep reading this but I'm going to give up. The problem is that the author introduces too many characters at once near the beginning. I would have needed to take notes on who was who but I read for pleasure not like I'm cramming for exams. I didn't get a chance to get to know one person before another and another and another were added. I got them all confused and thought I was reading about a dad when I was reading about his son. I thought the kid was a pervert until I realized he was the dad. Writing is like baking - you can't add all the ingredients at once, you have to add a little and blend it in until it's mixed well then add a little more, etc. Otherwise, you can ruin the whole thing.