5.0 out of 5 stars Surpised how good this book is
The patterns are written in a very clear row by row manner including shaping and color changes. There is no charting for the color work.

These would be a challenging project for a beginner but there are some plain cats which would be easier. If someone has basic increase decrease knit and purl skills these patterns are doable

The cats are knitted...
Published on February 7, 2012 by Claire Davies

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Sequel to KNIT YOUR OWN DOG
I love dogs and cats (especially cats), and wanted to love this book as much as Knit Your Own Dog: Easy-to-Follow Patterns for 25 Pedigree Pooches by the same talented authors. But I can't, because most of the cats don't look like cats. Some have pointy snouts (more like rats); some have overlarge ears; many have heads too small for their bodies.

Like the...
Published on February 9, 2012 by Lynne E.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surpised how good this book is, February 7, 2012
Claire Davies (New York, NY, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knit Your Own Cat: Easy-to-Follow Patterns for 16 Frisky Felines (Paperback)

The cats are knitted flat and seamed up so no dpns or circular needles required.

The patterns are mainly written for 4ply yarn using US 2 needles but there is no reason why you could not use a heavier yarn with bigger needles to make a bigger cat. Using the recommended materials the standing cats are about 5 inches tall so they are quite quick to make.

The finished products are surprisingly cute.

There are a couple of small typos in the book documented on the authors web site here

[...]

There is a ravelry group devoted to this book

[...]

You can find comments and photos of peoples projects from the book there

4.0 out of 5 stars Knit Your Own Cat, February 8, 2012
"Knit Your Own Cat" has a striped feline on the cover who looks a bit like my cat, so I was captured from the get-go. The book only has 16 patterns, but the cats are in different poses, so not every cat is standing. Every pattern has an unfortunate dorsal seam, but you can avoid it with the kitchener stitch.

My one disappointment about this book was that not all the cat faces are winners . Some of the faces are too pointed for my taste. The standing black-and-white cat looks like his face has been smashed in, while the face on his sitting brother looks quite good. The prowling black cat looks like he's pouncing on a mouse, but the Siamese cat's face seems off, to me, and I didn't like the Persian's tiny face at all.

That being said, you probably can substitute the construction of one of the good faces for the ones that are off. It shouldn't be that hard. This book should make a lot of cat lovers very happy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Sequel to KNIT YOUR OWN DOG, February 9, 2012

Like the small figures in Dog, the cat figures represent many different breeds: Persian, Ragdoll, Maine Coon, Turkish Van, British Shorthair, Devon Rex, Abyssinian, Burmese, Siamese, and Housecat (orange, black and white, tabby, black, and tortoiseshell). There are also some kittens, curled up cats, and a Bengal tiger. Some of the cats are sitting, some standing.

But unlike the figures in Dog, I cannot identify the cats' individual breeds by simply looking at the figures. The Persian's loopy mohair coat doesn't resemble fur (and the figure reminds me of a Pekingese). The Turkish Van's loopy mohair tail doesn't look like a cat's big, fluffy tail. The short-haired Siamese is white with brown face, ears, paws, and tail, but somehow the figure doesn't evoke the exotic appearance of a Siamese.

For me, the most successful figure is the stripey Orange Cat (a seated cat). However, if I were to make it, I would change the colors and try to blend the stripes to make the coat look more realistic. Perhaps the small scale of the figures makes it impossible to represent the individual characteristics of the various cat breeds in fabric knitted from fine yarn on US 2 needles.

Like the dog figures, the cat figures have many parts and are somewhat complicated to knit and assemble. I rate this book at 3 stars ("it's okay" on the Amazon scale), because none of the cats appeal to me enough to make me want to knit them, especially given the complicated construction.

2.0 out of 5 stars Moderately easy to knit, not to finish, April 30, 2012
Geomancer (Northern USA) - See all my reviews
The knitting instructions in the book are mostly clear and, in general, easy to follow. However, the finishing instructions are not sufficient and a bit of guesswork is needed. The finished results are cute if not quite lifelike. Pipecleaners are not 100% necessary to make the standing cats stand up, but necessary if you want to be able to pose the cat. The heads/faces of the cats are also off. The Siamese had a face more like a rat - very narrow and pointed. Overall, a intermediate experienced knitter would be fine in terms of the actual knitting, but would most likely run into problems with the construction and finishing. Be prepared for a certain level of frustration.

4.0 out of 5 stars Knit Your Own Cat, February 8, 2012
If you are a cat person who knows how to knit, this book is for you. The patterns looked intimidating but the Burmese I made was super simple. It was knit flat on straight needles and fit together beautifully. Filled with stuffing and a few pipe cleaners, it is surprisingly like-like. The results are definitely worth the effort. I would recommend this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, March 1, 2012
I found this book very dissapointing. I wish I hadn't preordered it and waited to decide after seeing a few of the pattern pictures. The cats all look very similar (unlike the dogs in the first book -- 'Knit your own dog'). Also, the faces of the cats don't look like cats. I have not yet knit any of the cats, so I can't make an experienced review of how the patterns actually knit up. However, given how the finished cats look in the pictures in the book, I am very unlikely to ever knit one. Even though I personally have cats, not dogs.

1.0 out of 5 stars THESE DO NOT LOOK LIKE CATS, July 4, 2012
I just got this book and am SO disappointed. I have not gotten to the directions but the faces sure do not look like the cover. They are weirdly shaped and I cannot recommend this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Odd Looking Cats, July 3, 2013
I purchased this book as a gift but was so disappointed. The 'cat' projects look more like rats than cats. Am returning the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars not my cat, April 10, 2013
Since my cat died last year I've been feeling deprived. My partner hasn't been ready to extend the family and suggested I knit a new companion. Hence the book. I eagerly knit the British shorthair. Imagine my disappointment in the little pygmy with the stubby face. Of course I realized when I read the dimensions I wasn't going to get a very satisfying cat experience, but I didn't realize that when I ordered the book. Worse was the black cat. I got all four legs knitted and started up the right side and realized the pattern did not match the picture. I may have made a mistake, but I'm pretty sure the pattern is wrong (decrease on neck instead of tail end). I'm feeling pretty discouraged. May have to make trip to pound after all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Knit your own cat book., January 28, 2013
I am a reasonably professional knitter for several years, but found the instructions rather complicated in this book. I finally worked them out and the end result is beautiful.

Knit Your Own Cat: Easy-to-Follow Patterns for 16 Frisky Felines
Knit Your Own Cat: Easy-to-Follow Patterns for 16 Frisky Felines by Joanna Osborne (Paperback - February 7, 2012)
$14.95 $10.33