Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

knits at home by Ruth Cross has a cornucopia of knits for the home. It contains, pillows, quilts, blankets. table runners, cable throws, patchwork blankets, lacy panels to cover windows, cable footstools, cushions for chairs, and anything you can think of for home knitting. Most of the colors and textures are in earth tones and are lovely.

There is a list of suppliers at the ends and this is a wonderful supplementary book for anyone who wants to upgrade their home and make it more special. I highly recommend it.
22 comments24 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2013
I wanted a book with ideas to help me warm up some of the areas in our home with handmade items and this book has them. I just received it and have not knitted any of the patterns yet, but it the photos are great, the reading easy, patterns easy to follow, and the ideas super. I can't wait to begin clicking away.
on May 6, 2014
I purchased this book for my wife as a birthday gift. She saw a few photos of the patterns online, but was mostly taken by the throw and pillow on the front cover. She was very much looking forward to making these two patterns in particular. She was surprised to find that the pillow prominently displayed on the cover (and on a page within the book) would not have the pattern/instructions in the book. There is a very basic cable given, nothing close to a pattern. My wife is an advanced cable knitter and she said she may be able to figure it out, but we were both very disappointed and felt that was a bit deceiving. We purchased this knitting book, in part, based on the photo of a knitted pillow on the front (and displayed within) without the pattern given. She said she has never seen a pattern shown, but not provided. Kind of made the gift a bit disappointing. Not cool. I would have given 5 stars if all the patterns shown had been provided .
22 comments6 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2013
The designs in this book are cozy and well executed. Patterns are easy to follow especially for a kniting newbie like me. I have purchased several items from her store and have not been dissapointed. This book is in the same wheel house.
on June 19, 2013
Thank You Ruth for this beautiful book and designs.

The minute I saw the book I had to learn how to knit. Oh what project to do first. Started out doing some samples of various stitches, then a sample of the geometric throw, the bolster pillow and a full size of the apple-pie pillow. This looks stunning when done. It did not take long to make even for a beginner. It will make a lovely gift.

Patterns are easy to follow and when I did require guidance Ruth was very gracious in helping me understand knitting vocabulary.

Great bold and exciting items to knit for your home with lovely photographs.

Gabrielle Herrmann
North Adams, MA
on March 19, 2014
Home knits are tough; how much variety can you put into pillows and throws? That said, Ms. Cross has designed a book that is a stepping stone for creative use of her designs for the intermediate and beyond knitter. Photos are great and the ideas are marvelous. One I will use again and again, and I am experienced knitter with a very large library.
on August 6, 2015
I LOVE this book but first wanted to let other knitters know about one quirk I discovered by accident (and luckily before I started any of the patterns) - the author's version of the "Knit Stitch" is actually "Knit Through The Back Loop". She does make it clear that this may be different from the way other knitters do it and describes it in the back of the book where the basic instructions are (how to knit, purl, etc...) but unless you specifically read these instructions (or stumble across this as I did), your patterns may be turning out differently than the picture in the book. I just wanted to mention this for knitters like myself that don't usually look at this section as we already know, or in this case "think" we know, how to do these basics. I think most patterns wouldn't necessarily be affected but there are definitely some that would so just FYI.

That being said, I do love this book. :) There are two main reasons why:

1. No matter your taste in home decor. there are at least a few patterns that would fit beautifully into your home. This is not something I can say about the other 4 or so "home knit" books that I own. Knits for the home is a tricky subject because peoples' tastes are so varied but, in my opinion, this book nailed it. Also, no matter your skill level, you'll find at least a few patterns that you are able to knit (and many that will keep the experienced knitter interested as well).

2. The author gives so many design tips and ways to tweak the patterns so you end up with something that is utterly "you". I really want to design my own patterns without them failing miserably like they have so far, and books like this are invaluable to help me with the design process. Right now, I'm working on a version of her "Patchwork Blanket" (p.74) which gives you so much freedom and is a fabulous stash buster. The pattern gives me space to check out some new stitch patterns I've been dying to try while using up that one ball of yarn that I love that I picked up at that fabulous yarn store and now the yarn reminds me of that yarn store but alas I don't have enough of it to really do anything with (a sad, yet common predicament for knitters/crocheters/etc.....) - now it's going to be front and center, looking gorgeous in my new patchwork blanket. Fabulous!!

And so, yes, I absolutely recommend this book to all knitters out there who want to showcase their knitting in their homes. Fabulous and fun and Happy Knitting to All!!

P.S. As one of the other comments said, the pattern for the lovely cable pillow on the front of the book is actually not in the book. The author very helpfully replied that there was a bit of a SNAFU there but the instructions are on her blog - here is the web address:
on June 19, 2013
Wonderfully sophisticated designs. Not the usual "crafty" twaddle found in most books. Just the type lovely items you'd find in a high-end shop!
on January 2, 2014
This is a GREAT knitting book.

Personally, anytime I've tried to create something for my house since I started knitting six years ago, it has always looked like something my nana made (no offense intended - she was certainly talented, but all of her gifts came with a certain 70's flare).

This book was the answer to all of my wishes - and more!

Everything in this book is designed to compliment the entire collection - I've added about six finished pieces to my home, and there's an amazing continuation of a certain vein of style throughout the whole house. Everyone who comes over can't stop talking about it, and is so impressed with what I've created.

If you're looking for a modern pattern book with a rustic or down-to-earth twist, this is the book for you.
on April 29, 2013
Love the patterns in this book. The clean lines, with a little bit of texture. The techniques may be a little tricky at first, but once they are mastered, you can not wait to move on to the next project.Can't wait for the next book. Each project moves along very quickly also. Excited to have prsonally talked with Ruth Cross about her book and techniques. Hurry with another book Ruth !!!.