5.0 out of 5 stars Knits Everyone Wants
I admit that I have yet to make an actual sweater. I've made numerous hats, cowls, socks, mittens, etc. Something about dealing with gauge and spending hours and hours on a sweater that might come out the wrong size is slightly nerve wracking.

Published on April 6, 2010 by Toasted Toads

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad, bad pattern design! Don't buy,
Published on January 29, 2012 by Martin Vick

5.0 out of 5 stars Knits Everyone Wants, April 6, 2010

I've spent at least 4 months trying to figure out what my first sweater is going to be. Do I want cables? Lace? Cardigan? Pullover? Wool? etc and so forth. I'm a girl, the sweater needs to be flattering, and in the perfect color, and less boring than plain stockinette. The biggest problem for me is that I'm not a tiny person, so anything I make (once I do the gauge swatching and such) still needs to be altered with short rows for the bust and waist shaping. After 4 months of indecision I decided instead to make my first sweater for my brother, who is one of the only men in my life I believe would appreciate it.

I brought "Knits Men Want" to dinner last night so he could pick out what he wanted. I would've thought he'd want the henley (it's my favorite), but he prefers the cardigan (although he's still undecided on buttons vs. zipper). My favorite part about this whole process is that I can pick a yarn that I want to work with (and that he likes) and figure out which gauge suits the yarn so that I get a fabric I like (not too holey and not too stiff) and all the math for the pattern is already done for me. Assuming I end up making sweaters for more men in my life during my life (I'm only 25...I have plenty of knitting time left), there are a lot of shapes and sizes to clothe, and that's accounted for in this book.

I also love the bit of humor that is included in the book. I think it might help me get through the cursing and frogging that I'm sure will happen at some point in this process, and it's good to have the reassurance that I am learning from other people's sweater "mistakes." (And the unfortunate incident of wiping up cat puke with a cashmere hat, that was funny and sad. Rule #5 "Not All Men Are Worthy Of Cashmere.")

It's a good book. It covers the basics, which is really all a guy's gonna wear anyway (except for some funky colored socks...maybe) and will be a part of my knitting arsenal for a while.

P.S. An aside on socks...most sock patterns are written for a woman, at the largest we're looking at a 9" circumference...this book goes up to 11".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guy Projects, March 25, 2010
If you are looking for a project to knit for the man (or men) in your life, this may be the perfect book. All the patterns are appealing and they are provided in various charted sized from 40" to 60". The patterns are given in different gauges and they all list the amount of yarn needed for completion. All of them are practical and attractive. The patterns are easy to follow and I especially like the feature of varied gauges for each project.

The book starts out with a comparison of what men want vs. what women want. For instance, men like to blend in while women may want to stand out in a crowd. A women will dress up for any occasion but a man will dress up for his wedding and a funeral. Women will skip lunch to afford a new outfit. Men will wear an old outfit to take a woman to lunch. Sound familiar?!

My favorite patterns are The Basic Pullover and Vest, The Raglan-Sleeved Henley, The Thick and Warm Socks, and the Watch Cap. All of these patterns are 'guy patterns'.

I find this book a great resource. It has projects that I want to make and the instructions are easy to follow. I give it 5 stars.

Bonnie Brody 3/25/2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Want!!!, April 15, 2010
Being a knitter, and being a man, and being a man of a size that even the modest offering of male knitting patterns do not fit it is amazing and nigh unto a miracle to find a book that makes me want to make not one or two but /every/ pattern inside it! I cannot wait to own this book and the moment the fiscal opportunity arises, I'll do so ;) Just the fact that I want to knit them is enough for me, discounting everything else.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad, bad pattern design! Don't buy,, January 29, 2012
I bought this book because I really liked that the different yarn gauges were given. The pattern I followed from this book ended up giving me armholes that were about four inches too big for the sleeve. My knitted pieces were correct in their measurements that were given in the diagrams showing the finished sizes. Then I did the math comparing the sleeve top length with the armhole opening and it was obvious that this was a bad, bad pattern. The sleeve type is a drop shoulder with an unshaped sleeve top, The lines were all straight so it was easy to measure. Also the shoulders were pretty narrow to be a drop shoulder. I wish I had caught this earlier as I am now ripping this sweater apart and revamping the design. I read the other reviews and other knitters whom have actually knitted an item from this book have complaints that are similar. Great idea to list the different gauges but who quality checked these patterns? CJP

2.0 out of 5 stars knits men want, December 19, 2011
Kerry Edwards (Sydney Australia) - See all my reviews
I knit for several men, and some of them fit the model the author describes. I liked the tables of figues to suit each gauge. However, when I made the sweater that features on the cover, something was seriously wrong. I am experienced knitter and followed the instructions carefully and ended up with a garment with the strangest rectangular neckline, and it looked like it was on backwards. And when we put it on backwards, it looked worse. I have to rip it back to the armholes and redo it using a different pattern.

Another complaint, after the purchase I started receiving tweets from the author. Isn't passing personal information to third parties illegal?

3.0 out of 5 stars Just don't read the narration?, August 24, 2012
I'm pretty torn on this book. I bought it because my husband wants one of the sweaters, but I cringe every time I read any of the "funny" parts. I mean, are you kidding me? This is one of the most sexist, clueless books I have opened in a long time. I'm sure it's funny if you buy into stereotypes so crisp a sitcom would drool with envy? The comparisons between men and women are pretty insulting to everyone involved.

On the other hand the patterns are awesome, if a bit tricky to follow. This is not a book for a beginner.

So. Three stars. And I just won't read any of the book parts, I'll stick to the patterns.

1.0 out of 5 stars Knits Men Want Kindle version for PC, November 8, 2012
This review is from: Knits Men Want: The 10 Rules Every Woman Should Know Before Knitting for a Man~Plus the Only 10 Patterns She'll Ever (Kindle Edition)
I am giving this book only one star because the charts are low-resolution images, not type. Therefore they are not affected by type size manipulation and cannot be copied for printing. Although the book is fun to read, with an entertaining perspective, it is also a pattern book. I am using the Kindle PC version to read it and find that the resolution is so low that it is hard to read the charts. The charts are multi-sized. It would be nice to be able to print them so that they could be marked up to assist with a specific project. I have many digital magazines with crisp images and type, and I can zoom and print page content as needed. I expected the same from this book and I am very disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you can't take the heat....., May 27, 2010
I have been looking for a book that shows sizing and simple men's knits since learning to knit. The cardigan looks awesome and I can't wait to dive into the project. It's also refreshing to see no patterns for beer cozys, rags for washing your motorcycles or the dreaded 'heavily patterned sweaters'.

However, as a male knitter, I almost didn't buy this book for the fact that it is geared towards women. Frankly, it is a turn off. But then, it is so over the top when it comes to the 'Rules', I had to laugh at most of them. Men as babies (who doesn't want comfortable, soft clothes) and trying things on (I HATE IT!) make the book entertaining. From the other reviews, yes, there probably are other books out there that shows how to adjust sizes, etc - but do they make it this easy?

It's a quick ready, easy to understand patterns and holds a few lesson to learn.

4.0 out of 5 stars Patterns Fabulous, Heterocentrism Not so Much, January 31, 2011
First: I love this book as a knitting book. You get an incredibly wide range of sizes and gauge options for every single pattern and every single pattern is something that I think I would make or make for someone. You could buy just this book and be good as far as knitting for most men would go. The patterns are solid, well written and attractive.

However, I was really disappointed in the heterocentric viewpoint of the author. It is assumed that the reader is a female, knitting for a male. Probably her significant other. While it is true that, in general, most men dislike fussy or elaborate patterns, the author simply assumes that all of these gender biases exist because that's just the way men and women are. I feel like I got a 21st century knitting book with 1950s gender roles stuck in the middle for no good reason. Honestly, if I were a male knitter who bought this book, I would feel completely slighted. As a woman, I personally feel insulted at the condescending tone and sexist assumptions of the author.

A+ for the patterns
F for the tone and attitudes

3.0 out of 5 stars eBook needs hi-res charts, October 13, 2012
Just received my printed copy last week. Love it! When I saw the eBook I purchased to view on my iPad as well. The photos and text are clear and sharp. The measurement and stitch charts however, seem to be low resolution scans. Very noticeable, especially when they are tapped to enlarge. That's the only disappointing feature of this ebook.