5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fandoms inspired great projects
Published on February 26, 2012 by Shala Kerrigan

2.0 out of 5 stars Not nerdy enough!
Published on March 3, 2012 by kurichan

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fandoms inspired great projects, February 26, 2012
This collection of fandom inspired knits is just fantastic. Toni Carr got contributions from other designers and put lots of her own patterns in the book. There is a good range of skill levels as well, so beginners will have patterns they can use, and more advanced knitters will also find some lovely lace items. The patterns are written out clearly with fun photos of finished items modeled by roller derby girls at Neil Gaiman's house.

As a long time geek, I was thrilled with the books and movies covered.

The Lord of the Rings inspired Toni Carr's pair of hobbit slippers and Ashley Fay's Light of Eärendil Shrug, a lacy ethereal shrug patterned with leaves.

Neil Gaiman's Death and Mr. Nancy both make an appearance in felted knit hats. A tiny top hat for Death and a bright green fedora for Mr. Nancy.

Firefly makes a strong showing with the Aim to Misbehave Brown Jacket, cunning socks and a cunning scarf.

Star Trek is covered with a Next Generation sweater, an original series mini dress and tribbles.

Also covered are Doctor Horrible, Real Genius, The Big Bang Theory, Temeraire, Harry Potter, Wicked Lovely, Star Wars, and Doctor Who in a variety of projects like fingerless gloves, stuffies, sweaters, shawls and bags.

For the male geek, there is a unisex Harry Potter inspired book bag, a sweater that looks like a Star Trek- The Next Generation Uniform, a wonderful cabled sweater vest and Mr. Nancy's Hat.

The end of the book includes a key to commonly used knitting abbreviations, and an overview of how to knit with photographs.

My daughter, who is a proud nerd and fan, and who loves to knit snatched this up as soon as we got it, and took it for 3 hours. She chortled and giggled and got very enthused. Her favorite patterns are the above mentioned green fedora, the cape pictured on the cover, and Aim to Misbehave jacket, which is a lovely longer jacket for Browncoat fans and the Big Bang Theory Raj inspired cabled sweater vest.

My favorite projects are the shrug mentioned above, the Super Awesome Fantastic Mega Super Cute Manga Leg Warmers which are flared to look just like illustrated chibi style legs, the colorful Tank Girl socks (I love Tank Girl!), and the adorable, quick to knit, button eyed Creepy Filler Bunny.

[I received a complimentary copy of the book to review on my craft blog- Don't Eat the Paste. My reviews are always my honest opinion]

5.0 out of 5 stars Nerds Do It For Themselves, January 28, 2013
If you're reading this, it's because you respect what i have to say and you are wise because of it. Now, hear me when i say that i don't care whether you are a nerd, a geek, a dork, a turd burglar, a booger eater, a freak or a super-market employee: YOU NEED TO MAKE YOURSELF SOME HOBBIT FEET!!! Joan of Dark shows you how. If you don't know how to knit, stop picking your nose and get on it, bro.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not nerdy enough!, March 3, 2012
kurichan (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I waited eagerly for my copy of this and just got it. I am VERY disappointed. With a very few exceptions, most of the patterns are generic and any connection to the source is forced and tenuous. At best they are merely "inspired by" some work, such as the "Cunning socks", which are merely striped socks and have no relationship to Firefly other than the author's notes. A basic cabled sweater vest is just a cabled vest, despite the author's "inspiration" from Raj in The Big Bang Theory. A pair of plain yellow gloves is nerdy? Not. The Cat Woman Hat is cute but I've seen many similar patterns. Her choice of the silly legwarmers which are supposed to be manga-inspired is uninspired and a bit insulting to manga readers. The Time Traveller Scarf is not nearly as good as the multitude of patterns already out there for the Doctor's scarf. If you saw these patterns elsewhere, without the author's notes, you would not consider them nerdy/scifi/etc. Most of them are fairly generic patterns labelled as "nerdy". I don't understand why people are squeeing when they just aren't that special.

I will say that two of the patterns ARE special: The Summer Queen Shawl and the Light of Earendil Shrug. BUT: the author notes that Galadriel gave the Light to Sam, when of course she gave it to FRODO. Epic fail. I also really love the beaded bag (who wouldn't want this magical item?!), but again, if I'd seen that pattern elsewhere there would be no association to HP.

Bottom line: Since I got this from the library, I'm not out any money, just a bit of time looking through the book. I gave it 2 stars because it has a couple of good patterns but I would caution any real fan of any of the source material to not waste your money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Made of Win!, March 20, 2013
Eve-Marie Hughes (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knits for Nerds: 30 Projects: Science Fiction, Comic Books, Fantasy (Kindle Edition)
I'll admit, I bought this JUST for the Horrible Gloves pattern... then I started flipping through pages and fell in love with The Cunning Scarf, Cunning Socks, Aim to Misbehave Jacket, Next Generation Sweater.... well, you get the idea. The patterns are well-written, the yarn recommendations are for reasonably priced yarns and include yardage to make yarn substitution easier. There's a fair blend of easy, intermediate, and advanced patterns - I am somewhere between novice and intermediate and there are plenty of projects to improve my skills with.

If you're a knitter, buy this - you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful!, August 10, 2012
I eagerly awaited the release of this book and I wasn't disappointed. Although I am a beginning knitter myself, there was plenty to engage me in Toni's book. I was able to knit several pieces without trouble, the instructions are good. I was so proud of myself when I finished the Firefly scarf! :-D

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute knitting book!, May 1, 2012
I loved Toni Carr's first book Knockdown Knits: 30 Projects from the Roller Derby Track, so I was super excited to find out about her second book, Knits for Nerds.

Most of the patterns in the book are fairly simple. The designs are inspired by the books and shows they reference, so the majority of the patterns are ordinary designs altered (either by color or a small addition) to fit the nerdy theme. The patterns, therefore, are useful for both regular and nerdy use. Two patterns in particular- Creepy Filler Bunny and Robot of the Future- would make adorable kids' toys.

Not every pattern in the book appeals to me, but there are several that I absolutely love. I'm giving the book five stars because I plan to make these patterns multiple times. Also, there is nothing at all wrong with the other patterns. I'm just not a huge fan of Lord of the Rings, and I've never seen an episode of Dr. Who.

The striped Dr. Horrible Gloves are my absolute favorite. They're long, fingerless gloves which button all the way down the side. I'm also planning to make the Baby Elf Beanie and the Top Hat Fascinator (a tiny top hat!). Future projects include the Light of Earendl Shrug (a gorgeous, long-sleeved lacy shrug), Dragon Rider Gloves (patterned fingertipless gloves), Summer Queen Shawl (a pretty lace shawl), and Aim to Misbehave (a long cardigan with lacy edges). There are also two awesome sock patterns inspired by Tank Girl and Firefly, cute vests, Star Trek outfits, and Star Wars princess hats. The patterns in this book will appeal to a wide variety of knitters, not just the nerdy ones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crafts for Geeks!, July 12, 2014
A fun guide to celebrate your fandom without violating any copyrights. I haven't tried any of these projects but I have a couple in mind to do.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for Beginners, March 17, 2014
I respect her work and the designs are perfect for beginners, but as an experienced knitter I would have liked more complex patterns. But I don't regret my purchase. If you're a nerd and a knitting noob this book is totes perfect 4 u!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nerdy knits, September 24, 2013
There's not a lot to say. It's full of knits for nerds. You gotta want to knit this stuff but if you do, this is good stuff to knit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Knits for Nerds, May 9, 2013
battatter "carola46" (Frankfort, IN United States) - See all my reviews
Though there are several knits that fit the title, there are some that didn't interest me. But still a cool book to have.