5.0 out of 5 stars Beginner's help to know all about knitting
Knitspeak definition: "A combination of words, abbreviations, numbers, and punctuation that is unintelligible to the average human and - unfortunately - to the new knitter." - from Knitspeak

Published on October 29, 2007 by Armchair Interviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Knitting for Novices
This is a really nice little book but unless you are a rank amateur do not bother to buy it. I ended up returning it. I thought it would be a handy book to carry in my knitting bag(based on a review from Vogue Knitting) but, as nice a book as it is, anyone who has knit for any length of time simply won't need this book.
Published on August 31, 2008 by Marion S. Wilhelm

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginner's help to know all about knitting, October 29, 2007

Like any group, culture or trade, knitting possesses its own languagee, one which can be is incomprehensible to the uninitiated. New knitters are often prohibited from stretching their knitting muscles by a pattern which makes as much sense as ancient Greek.

Andrea Berman Price rides to the rescue with her book Knitspeak: an A to Z guide to the language of knitting patterns, a handy volume which translates the symbols, abbreviations, and terms while explaining the logic and structure in which knitting patterns are written.

The first section of Knitspeak provides an overview "of how knitting patterns are organized and how to read them effectively." The second section is organized alphabetically beginning first with symbols. This section, which comprises most of the volume, is much more than just a dictionary. Scattered throughout are detailed illustrations, helpful tips such as choosing the correct decrease method, and longer entries on topics like measuring gauge or choosing a needle size.

The appendix is chock full of helpful information: fixing mistakes, estimating yardage requirements and an "abbreviations at a glance" table. Rounding out this handy volume are three worksheets which Price suggests photocopying and using to track knitting projects; for times so that when you put your knitting down, you have a record. A sound idea - especially for knitters like myself who have double digit UFOs (unfinished objects) that may, or may not, be stored with the required instructions.

Knitspeak's compact size means it easily fits into your knitting bag. The next time your pattern calls for LLI, grab knitspeak for a translation (LLI = left-lifted increase). As Price suggests: "Never stop knitting again because you don't understand your instructions!"

Armchair Interview says: Wonderful book for a beginner knitter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great on-the-go guide, September 29, 2008
Totoro (New York, New York) - See all my reviews
I had a terrible time trying to decide between this and the Knitter's Companion (KC). I needed a handy little reference guide that would fit into my purse whenever I took my knitting somewhere. I'm not very familiar with reading patterns, but I'm also not new to knitting so all I really needed was a quick reference to remind me what "ssk" or "yo" means, or which cast on to use, etc., and keep me moving. My only other reference was Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Handbook, and that wasn't going to fit in my purse. I ended up buying both copies to bring home and compare carefully. Both the KC and Knitspeak were designed to be a pocket reference and both covered similar topics. The KC had the added advantate of spiral binding, but the paper did not slide easily along the rings and I could see the pages quickly becoming weak and bent, and eventually falling off. They also squeaked unpleasantly. In the end, I returned the KC and kept Knitspeak because I found the illustrations clearer and preferred the organization, but it was a close call. Both are great products.

4.0 out of 5 stars Knitting translations, September 27, 2007
Fr Mae "portable soaps" (Mount Vernon, New York , USA) - See all my reviews
Great for when you are in the middle of a pattern and suddenly don't know what an abbreviation means.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great knitting language book, September 27, 2007
This book is easy to understand, easy to use, and has valuable illustrations. It's the perfect size and book to have on hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars I take it everywhere..., August 20, 2008
This book is permanently in my knitting bag, and I've probably opened it for every project I've knitted. I have a horrible memory for remembering even basic stitches (like kitcheners) and the illustrations are super clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars A knitting mentor in a book!, June 14, 2010
Andrea Berman Price coined the term "Knitspeak" for the language of knitters, a language comprised of knitting terms and the mysterious (to beginners) abbreviations used in knitting patterns. As Price herself remarks, knitters who have learned the basics of cast-on, knit, and purl are often baffled when they try to knit something more complicated than, say, a scarf. What does k1f&b mean? Or M1R? How do you read a pattern chart? And what's a provisional cast-on?

Realizing that knitting books are usually aimed either at rank beginners or at experienced knitters, but rarely at the knitter-in-between, Price set out to remedy this lack. Knitspeak: An A to Z Guide to the Language of Knitting Patterns is exactly what its title implies, and more. The introductory section discusses how to read a pattern (including conventions such as directions for different sizes, and common assumptions), tips on how to keep track of where you are, and even copyright rules as applied to knitting patterns. The main portion of the book is an alphabetical glossary/dictionary of common knitting terms, symbols, and abbreviations. In this section you will find explanations, instructions, and diagrams for everything from pattern abbreviations (k1f&b) to cast-on methods to a variety of knitting tools. The appendix includes helpful information about yarn (substitution guidelines, reading labels, estimating how much you need), tips on dealing with mistakes (picking up dropped stitches, ripping back), charts for needle sizes and metric/imperial conversions, and some useful sample worksheets.

As an intermediate knitter who is firmly in the target audience, I love this book, and only wish I had discovered it sooner. It would have saved me a great deal of frustration! In short, it's like having a knitting tutor or mentor you can stash in your project bag and take wherever you go. I highly recommend Knitspeak to all knitters of advanced-beginner to advanced-intermediate experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for all knitters!, October 26, 2009
This the most clearly written book on the subject of knitting that I've ever read, and with 20+ years of knitting experience under my belt, that's a lot of knitting-related reading! Knitspeak explains what to do, why to do it, and when to do it, clearly, concisely, and elegantly.

Knitspeak is organized in such a way that you can find any stitch or instruction quickly and easily. Perhaps because of my 20+ years with knitting needles, I can't always remember some of the more esoteric abbreviations. Having this little book in my knitting bag keeps me from having to run to Google.

The illustrations are clear and easy to follow.

All of my knitting friends ooh and ahh over my copy, and rush off to buy a copy of their own. Mine lives in my knitting bag!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm the author., July 5, 2009
Commentator (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
Amazon keeps writing to me, asking me to review this. So instead, since I wrote it and think it's the next best thing to indoor plumbing, I'll just ask YOU if you ever find yourself needing a simple, clear explanation for a word you find in a pattern. If so, this is handy book to have around. Also, it has a nifty ruler on the back and a picture that shows you where a GUSSET is. Isn't that worth the cost of the book??

5.0 out of 5 stars Drop it in your project bag, August 9, 2009
Like many of the other reviews mention, this is a great book for beginners. I have my (overdue) copy from my local library, but I plan on buying it soon.

The best thing about this book is that it's laid out dictionary-style: forget how to do a cable cast-on? Don't know what LLI means? You don't have to look to the index, or even the table-o-contents, just look it up alphabetically!

It's a great reference book, and small enough to fit in with your project.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, April 24, 2009
Smiley "Knitinmom" (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews
I am a beginner knitter. I taught myself about a year ago. This book has helped me with numerous knitting projects!! I keep it in my knitting bag and probably use it with almost every new pattern, since I love to try new things all the time. It is easy to find information since it in an alphabet format. I recommend this book to all new knitters.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›