Published on October 19, 2012 by Mary G

1.0 out of 5 stars Checked it out from the library...
Glad I didn't waste my money. There is nothing new or revolutionary contained in this book. There's better information about using "magic loop" and much more facile cast-on techniques on YouTube. Methinks the author's marketing technique is that he's a male knitter who took up knitting as a college kid at Oberlin in an attempt to "subvert the dominant...
Published 7 months ago by Nigel Corran

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is destined to be a classic for thinking knitters everywhere, October 19, 2012
Mary G "Mary G" (Locust Grove, VA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knitting from the Center Out: An Introduction to Revolutionary Knitting with 28 Modern Projects (Hardcover)
I literally received this book yesterday from my friendly UPS man ... started it this morning and finished the text about two hours later. It was like eating chips -- I couldn't stop reading and thinking and now my creative juices are revving. Why? It seems Yuhas has written a book akin to the rule-shattering books of Elizabeth Zimmermann. He takes the idea of starting from the center out and explores the many ways to design garments and home-accessories. He has some projects in the book that include the standard in-the round items: blankets, shawls and caps. But these all have a unique twist, such as the spiral baby-blanket or the dahlia blanket. He then expands on the center-out way to make shapes and includes "heel-up socks", a hoodie that starts at the top and works down, a seamless teddy bear, and mittens that knit from the thumb out.

As a hand-knits designer, the great value of the book is the creative inspiration -- he has the math facts in here so that I can expand my design horizons. This is really a book for those who want to go beyond repeating a designer's idea ... and come up with their own. This hardcover volume, with it's 28 projects and detailed instructions and clear photographs and drawings is definitely worth the cover price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Love Love This Book, January 12, 2013
Received this fabulous book as a Christmas Gift. I was at my daughters house for the day, and after flicking through just a few pages just wanted to run home and cast on.
So......I waited until Boxing Day and started the Centre Out Bear. So unusual to start a Softie from the centre of his right foot, but that is exactly how you start. Got a little confusing around the shoulders, but thank goodness for some very handy diagrams.
NEXT to the centre out SOCK......THE BEST AND MOST INTERESTING SOCK I HAVE EVER EVER KNIT. I hate shaping heels and picking up stitches. This pattern makes is so much easier. Also some very helpful diagrams to help you through the unusual construction.
I have my sights set on at least two, maybe three more projects within the next few weeks.
Congratulations on such a wonderful book. Anyone who said knitting was boring, well just get your hands on this book. The tutorials in the back of the book are very helpful. I am a great fan of Elizabeth Zimmerman, and this book just adds to the many and varied things you can create with yarn and a couple of sticks..!!!......Gee....my creative juices are flowing big time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something New in Knitting, November 27, 2012
Love, LOVE this book. I haven't knit anything from it yet, so can't vouch for the particulars like tech editing and proofreading, but the designs have a lot to offer, with some great twists on the usual. Love the "use any yarn, any gauge" hats and the whole explanation of "sometimes, you just want to cast on the shiny new yarn, not swatch." What knitter doesn't know that feeling? The stuffed octopi are adorable and there are some great blankets in here too. I think I will learn a lot from this book, and after 40+ years of knitting, that's saying something.

5.0 out of 5 stars Technically Advanced, Attractive, "Tour de Force" Patterns for Directional Knitting, January 3, 2013
Nothing about knitting is truly "revolutionary"--a few centuries' worth of dedicated knitters have discovered (or independently rediscovered) everything there is to know about knitting. In this book, "revolutionary" knitting simply means "knitting in rounds" or "circular knitting"--although in these patterns designer Daniel Yuhas often adds a highly creative "spin" on established, well-known techniques. (For example, he creates an i-cord necklace with dangling tubular flowers that is knitted in one piece!)

Patterns that I particularly love in this unusual collection are (1) the tall "conehead" hats that stand up by themselves (tight gauge and the method of increasing are the secret); (2) the one-piece, half-moon "flummox" mittens (start with a tube, convert it to an octagon, add some short rows, and use decreases to seam the whole thing up); (3) the heel-up socks (start at the center of the bottom of the heel of the foot, knit an octagon, and work parts of the octagon separately, until it's time for everything to "come together in an origami moment"); (4) the net-like over-the-knee "swoosh" socks (a tube is knit in stockinette, then every third stitch is dropped to form long ladders from hip to toe); and (5) the ripple baby blanket (knitted as an Archimedean spiral).

Yuhas' book also includes some less-adventurously-knit patterns for several pretty shawls (e.g., the Feather and Fan Shawl, the gossamer Isosceles Shawl), blankets (e.g., the Dahlia Blanket, the Star Play Mat), and sweaters (e.g., the Leaf-Yoke Sweater, the Hood-Down Hoodie). The amazing thing about Yuhas' patterns, is how good the directionally-knit garments look when they're worn by real people.

This is a book that belongs in every technical knitter's collection, because of the highly creative ideas for directional knitting. The book also has interesting explanations of some mathematical concepts (e.g., the Fibonacci series, the Archimedean spiral), as well as good photographic tutorials on a variety of different circular cast-on techniques. KNITTING FROM THE CENTER OUT is probably a book for advanced knitters, although the instructions (which include excellent schematic drawings) are so clear that adventurous intermediate knitters should be able to knit the patterns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let the creativity just flow!, December 17, 2012
This is an amazing book. It has fabulous patterns that are different from the usual drivel. If it only had patterns, I would give it a four, but Yuhas goes into detail about how to knit at various rates of increase/decrease to help the knitter make original patterns. This is for knitters who like to go past the flat to the three-dimensional for a little tangled adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, but advanced, February 20, 2013
I was incredibly impressed with this book, and it takes a lot to do that with knitting books. The techniques are amazing and innovative and the patters are beautiful. The only pattern I've made so far is the teddy bear (which I love) and I must admit to having some trouble understanding the instructions to make the shoulder. They were not very clear. However, it turned out well once I figured out what I was doing and I'm making another. I will say, though, that this isn't really a book for beginners. If you know what you're doing, you'll love this book. But I'd say it's intermediate, at the least.

5.0 out of 5 stars Already knitted my first item, October 2, 2013
while not a lot of patterns, the ones there are interesting. well written and good visuals. Would recommend it to all knitters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden gem, September 19, 2013
Simple idea of working in the round, and originally I didn't think I'd really go for some of the patterns, but I'm finding Daniel's style to be addictive and I've already worked more than I thought I would from the book. It's a great reference for other project ideas as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars New approach to an old art, July 16, 2013
Interesting approaches to the old hats, mittens, shawls, socks, etc. I also liked the Octopus toys, which can be made in differing sizes by changing the yoar.

5.0 out of 5 stars great ideas, July 3, 2013
Drags (Sandy, UT, USA) - See all my reviews
I love the baby blankets in this book. I can't wait to be a grandma, so I can make these blankets. I would like a big dahlia for myself. Daniel created some beautiful works of art.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›