Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation

on May 31, 2008
I really love this book. It's beautiful, and the projects are amazingly diverse for a single topic book. I've completed four different projects. The patterns read well, and the end products are exactly what I hoped they'd be. The size of the book is perfect for fitting into a knitting bag. My only improvement for the next edition would be somewhat larger type.
on May 31, 2008
I love this book. The variety of mittens, gloves, and wristlets is amazing. The designs are really different --- its not just the same patterns over and over with minor changes. There are patterns with cables, with fair isle knitting, with lace patterns and with beading, plus some basics and basics with a twist.
on September 5, 2008
This is really a very beautiful book. The pages are matte, and thick, the cover is gorgeous, the designs are wonderful and her descriptions of the items and the names she has given each pair of gloves are inspirational. I love to see a designers thought-processes and she explains in detail how she thought up each pair and the symbolic meanings behind the types of knitting she has done on them. Yes, the writing is in about a 9 pt font, but it is nothing that is unreadable. Directions are explained in detail for each pair of mittens and fingerless gloves and I am ecstatic that I bought this book. I sense a winter full of beautiful gloves coming my way....
on July 3, 2008
I bought the book because of Grumperina's comments and am glad I did. I have finished one pair of gloves for my Mum and will CO for the next pair this weekend. There is something interesting for everyone whatever your style is. The patterns are very creative but practical at the same time. But yes the print could be a bit larger for those darker nights to come .......
on December 23, 2008
I am so pleased with this purchase. I am an avid knitter and crocheter, and have a huge collection of pattern books - and a huge pile of them are on their way to charity shops because they're disappointing! This isn't. There are so many pairs of mittens and gloves I want to make from the book... and to think I bought it on an impulse, which basically went - hey! Good idea! Small amount of yarn, fast and useful projects - check it out!

I have earmarked a bunch of projects and have already made a couple. Instructions are clear and easy to follow, and I like that she has a list of the yarns used in the projects at the back of the books where they are sorted by weight - why don't more knitting books do this? There are tons of helpful hints, and copious illustrations. Gorgeous. There are a variety of fingerless gloves, gloves with short fingers, gloves, mittens, gauntlets... there's lacework, intarsia, beadwork, cabling, motifs - very original and very tempting. I am even tempted to try some of the full fingered gloves even though I know they will be fiddly....

Recommended. Highly!
on March 24, 2009
I was kicking myself for ordering this book (new!) because I need another knitting book like a hole in the head and I never knit mittens and gloves, too fiddley.
But when I got this book - WOW! The patterns are sooo varied, and so cool! Practical, too. There are long mittens, short mittens, a fluffy mitten put inside another open work mitten (way cool), gloves that can be layered, mittens with a finger cover that buttons on (I'm going to make this one first!), fingerless, gauntlets, cuffs, lacey cuffs, mittens that look like driving gloves, traditional colorwork, cables, you name it.
I'm eager to go knit several of these!
If you have this book you won't need another, it has so many clever and different designs.
The only reason I gave this 4 stars instead of 5 is that I haven't actually knitted anything yet, so I can't honestly give it full marks yet. But I was so excited by this book I wanted to recommend it right away.
Pictures are very clear.
on July 16, 2008
What a wonderful book! Each design is unique & gorgeous, while also being completely accessible & wearable. There is plenty of room for yarn subtitutions as well. The only problem with this book is deciding which project to start with, and sticking with it without casting on several more!
on November 6, 2012
This is a truly beautiful book, worthy of having on any knitter's coffee table. One could almost look forward to winter when you see the attractive and warm mittens, gloves, and fingerless gloves in the photos. For ideas on how to layer the gloves, beading techniques, and a variety of unusual designs, this book is worth having. I have now had it for almost a year though and never actually made anything from it. I have tried to choose something to knit several times, but each time I abandoned the plan, because I find the instructions quite daunting. My conclusion is that this is a book mainly for advanced knitters.

I am certainly not a beginner at knitting. I've been at it for many years, have followed instructions easily in the past, and made all sorts of things from hats and scarves to long-sleeved sweaters. I've followed charts, made cables, and done a variety of stitches, but for this book I don't feel well-prepared at all. There are a great many abbreviations that are uncommon, such as Wrp-t, wyib, wyif, M1R and M1L. If you are familiar with these, then you would probably do fine with this book. I tried to follow the simplest pattern in the book, and the abbreviations were still quite daunting. I think if I actually do make anything from it, I will write out the directions without the abbreviations (using the key that is provided at the end of the book) in order to manage more easily.

But on the good side: the variety of gloves, mittens, and fingerless gloves is superb. There are designs here that I have never seen before, and they're very cute and warm too. They would make great gifts, and many have directions for children's sizes as well as several different adult sizes (including for men). I love the idea of layering the fingerless gloves over regular ones.
on December 29, 2015
I have the print book and the kindle version for ease of use. I bought the print book when it first was released. I have just recently purchased the kindle version. It's a little weird to navigate chapters for patterns or really any book where you may want to jump around and see where you are,such as a cookbook or knitting/sewing pattern books using a kindle app.

The kindle version isn't my favorite,but that doesn't reflect badly on the book itself. I just wanted a digital copy to take to knitting group etc with my iPad instead of carrying books with me. Most PDF patterns for Ravelry I can download to my iPad through KnitCompanion app via the Apple App Store. But this book is only offered in print or kindle,not through Ravelry as a PDF ebook. I'm not sorry I bought the kindle version. I knit patterns from this book a lot for mittens and gloves and I really like being able to just grab my iPad and throw it into my bag. So, print book 5 stars. Kindle version 4 stars. It's still easy enough to use and much more convenient when carrying multiple projects.
on November 13, 2013
What a nice variety of designs. I think a skilled beginner could really increase their skills just with this book. I'm looking forward to giving lots of gifts of gloves this year and many will come from this book. I have only one criticism: I bought the kindle version for my new iPad Air. Most of the images are incredible. But the photo of the stitch glossary for the Gothic mitten is unreadable. I suspect it's not that great in the print version either. It really should have embarrassed the author into an addendum page.