Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on August 4, 2005
Anyone hesitating if Nicky Epstein's second book on knitting borders is worthwhile - worry no more. As her personal intro says, "...completely new...", it is a wonderfully fresh, new addition to her first collection. And, there are many of these new edgings - this is not a skinny, part 2 type of follow up book.

The format of the book is the same - clear concise swatch photos, wonderful use of yarns to highlight stitches, and a larger section on color knitting. You will be able to customize your knitting w. ease since the edging patterns details are clear and concise. The author gives a wonderful intro on texture and size as a jump start point for you. The edgings are organized in logical style categories w. a fresh idea of one, "Noveau" added - it stays true to its title.

As in the first book, patterns highlighting her new edgings are included. The patterns are like palettes for her fantastc new collection of edgings. This one is a keeper, for sure!
0Comment| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2005
I would give this book 10 stars if I could, it's just that great!

The popular author of Knitting on the Edge now offers a new book for knitters: Knitting over the Edge. The subject of both books is, predictably, creative edges for knitwear. In this valuable reference, you'll find more than 350 decorative borders for knitted garments of all types.

The lush American Beauty Capelet featured on the cover is just a hint of the treasures you'll find within. Honestly, you could spend a lifetime exploring the exotic ribs, cords, appliqués, and patterns offered by this extraordinarily creative and talented knitter and author.

Beautiful as this book is, however, you'll also find lots of meat inside: plenty of diagrams, concise instructions, close-up photos of knitted edges, and gorgeous, irresistible designs.

Highly recommended for knitters of all skill levels.

-Sharilyn Miller, author of Bead on a Wire
on November 7, 2005
I have three books by Nicky Epstein. All have errors in them, but are easily corrected by a search. I went to Vogue Knitting and found corrections for her "Edge" books, and for Knitted embelishments, I went to Interweave press. All the books are great, despite the flaws. They give me tons of ideas to add to my designs. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the books.
on October 14, 2005
I loved Knitting on the Edge and couldn't wait to start on projects from Knitting over the Edge. Unfortunately, when I opened up to the cabbage roses to try one, the instructions weren't exactly right. I was able to fake my way through the flower, but when I got to the part where it said "Leaf", there were no more instructions. I looked at the other leaf instructions provided but they were not the ones pictured with the cabbage roses. Now I am hoping and looking everywhere for the corrections so I can continue "playing" with my new toy.(book)
on December 17, 2005
I have long been a fan of Nicky Epstein and found her first book on the subject of edgings to have useful and ingenious ideas and techniques. Was there really any call for a second book on the topic? I think not, because all this book really does is show you, over and over, that you can make an edging out of most any pattern by knitting a small band of it. As for the enticing knitted rose edging on the cover, Nicky Epstein has a whole book on knitted flowers. I returned this book.
on February 18, 2006
I have almost finished an afghan from Debbie Abrahams book and so thought I would like a nice border. I was initially thinking of buying knitting on the edge but this one was cheaper and hard covered and the cover illustration oh so gorgeous. Well the whole book is oh so gorgeous and she has nicely included the patterns for the divine items that are used at the beginning of each chapter so I want that shawl and my daughter wants the scarf with doughnut shaped things hanging off the edges and there are hundreds of borders divided into chapters such as rib, applique, and colour (no lace unfortunately) but the majority will definitely be very complicated and I will have to take it along to my Wednesday knitting class and have my guru show me how to manage them. The instructions are perfectly clear - you just need a lot of experience with complicated procedures to carry them out. I will treasure this book and certainly use it - I am *going* to wear that shawl to my 20 year school reunion! - but I think I will buy the other one now and and see what it has to offer as well. Nicky Epstein is an enviably talented knitter.
I first got this book from a library, it was so good that I purchased a copy of my own as I know it will become a reference book for many of my projects. This is my first book by this Nicky Epstein, but when I was in the library I looked through both "Knitting over the edge" and "Knitting on the edge" and "Knitted flowers" and found that "Knitting over the edge" had more projects that looked interesting to me. It also had a nice variety of over the edge, applique, ribs and cords projects where the other two books were more "specialized".

I love making unique looking projects, and technique of knitting over the edge really helps me achieve this goal. The patterns may look complex, but they are not difficult and really enhance the look of my knitted pieces.

The goal of the book it to show different ways of finishing and decorating the edge of the garment: ribs, fringes, loops, tussles, and more. My favorite are cords. I've never seen the unique approach the author demonstrates of decorating the edge with loops and circles made with knitted cords! I also liked the knitted applique which you see in the cover image.

The book is illustrated with wonderful photos, they really make the projects and ideas in your head come alive. The book has 160 pages, and over 350 edging ideas.

I really appreciated that the author showed how different techniques look when done in different yarns, it really changes the look and it is helpful to see the outcome on the pages of the book before you try it yourself.

My only complaint about this beautiful book that some pages are printed in white font on pink background, and for my presbyopic eyes the contrast is too low to see well. This book is 190 pages and only 5 or 6 pages have a pink background, but unfortunately the table of content is one of them, so I have to strain when I refer to it.

Most knitting books contain mistakes, and so does Knitting Over the Edge.
You can find correction this way:
1. Go to sixthandspringbooks web site (I located it from Vogue Knitting)
2. On the bottom left you will see a link for "corrections" (just above "customer service" link)
3. When you click on the link it will bring up a page which will allow you to select a book by title/author
4. Then you can select "Knitting over the edge"
5. I am including the content of the current errata at the end of this review

So far I completed two projects from this book and looking forward to many more!

Ali Julia review

--------------------------------------------------------
The current errata includes:
--------------------------------------------------------
Cabbage Rose
page 97

Row 7 Knit into front and back of st; rep from * to end--80 sts.
Row 8 Purl.

Bind off.
LEAVES
See Garter Stitch Leaf in American Beauty Rose Capelet pattern, page 186.

Open Tubes
page 168

Row 2 K3, *p5, k3; rep from * to end.

American Beauty Rose Capelet
photo on page 88, instructions on page 185

LEFT FRONT

Cast on 39 (43, 47) sts. Work same as back...AT THE SAME TIME, when piece measures 10 (10.75, 11.50)"/25.5 (27, 29)cm from beg, end with a RS row and work as foll:

Neck shaping

Next row (WS) Bind off
----------------------------------------------------
review image
on October 11, 2005
Being an intermediate knitter, I found this book to be very informative. Excellent follow-up to her first book. I have many requests for my afghans and scarves and this opens up a whole new world for me. The finishing techniques can change the look of the whole project. I am on my second afghan already. Already have a request from the cheerleaders of our local high school to make the whole squad matching scarves using her patterns will be just perfect. Would have paid double the price for this one! (I never thought she could outdo her first book,"knitting on the edge".
on February 23, 2006
I make and sell children's clothing. I love the sections on appliques and cording. In fact, the cording section is useful even if you can't knit. You can use a $20 cording knitter machine and make that, then use it for the designs in this book. I checked this book out of the library--tried to renew it to keep it a while longer but there are multiple holds on it so it has to go back. I am ordering this one!
on October 6, 2005
This book may not be for everyone, but I think the title tells it all. A lot of the patterns are fun, a little out there - edgy - if you will. It's great to see ideas presented in a straightforward, understandable way. I think of it as a way to learn something new to liven up my sweaters, etc. Even if I only use two of three of the patterns, it's worth it.