5.0 out of 5 stars Buy the book

3.0 out of 5 stars Fully Fashioned Patterns
Published 23 months ago by paisleyapron

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Fully Fashioned Patterns, August 19, 2012
This review is from: Knitting the Perfect Fit: Essential Fully Fashioned Shaping Techniques for Designer Results (Paperback)
Knitting the Perfect Fit covers basic information related to full-fashioned increases and decreases in knitting patterns. "Fully fashioned" means the shaping is not done at the edge of the knitting, but worked in a few stitches from the edge. The book includes 19 knitting patterns categorized according to how they would flatter a certain body type (strangely, most of them supposedly flatter all the types.) Interspersed among the patterns are "Designer Workshop" sections:

Chapter 1 explains how a "fully fashioned" garment is knit, gives illustrated instructions of simple decreases and increases, explains directional slants, how to read knitting charts, and makes garment suggestions related to body types.

Chapter 2 includes color photos of multiple examples of increases and decreases.

Chapter 3 gives full instructions on how to add decorative stitches in the fully fashioned increase/decrease.

Chapter 4 details ways that cleverly placed increases and decreases can flatter the figure. Also included is a shell/camisole pattern with detailed instructions on adapting the pattern for bust size. General knitting, finishing, and sweater construction techniques are illustrated at the end of the chapter.

Pros: the information provided is solid and informative, especially for those knitters who are unfamiliar with how full-fashioned increases and decreases are worked and applied. It is assumed that the reader is familiar with gauge measurement. The patterns are well-written, clearly illustrated, and the charts are easy to read. The information on shaping and illusion for figure flattery is excellent.

Cons: The title, premise, and descriptions of the book are misleading. After repeatedly being told in the text that, "You, too, can be a designer!" the reader would find that this book does not help accomplish this. Nowhere in the book is a shaping formula provided. If I wanted to find out how to apply the increases and decreases to my own design, this book informs me how to knit them, but not how to determine my rate of decreases over rows from bust to waist or increases from waist to hip. More importantly, aside from the one shell pattern in Chapter 4, there is no information about customizing and adjusting the patterns included to particular body measurements, and therefore no way to help the knitter make the patterns fit like the book declares.

To fill in this huge gap, the reader would have to search out other sources: Amy Herzog's Fit to Flatter series at [...] would be very useful or perhaps the books Knitwear Design Workshop by Shirley Paden or Sweater Design by Maggie Righetti. If knitting top-down and seamlessly, both Custom Knits by Wendy Bernard and Fitted Knits by Stefanie Japel have sections on customizing patterns.

Overall, if you like the patterns included in the book and don't have information on increases and decreases elsewhere, this book will be useful to you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it for competent knitters, August 17, 2012
This book has nothing new in it. The tips are just rehash, the patterns are boring and not very well executed. What surplice top should pull up on the empire waist like the "Marilyn"? The body shapes information sounds like it will be useful...and then most patterns are marked that they are good for all body shapes? Why would an allover patterned tunic look good on every body shape? This might be good for a total beginner, but not for a competent knitter. I wish I could have seen inside the book before purchasing-- I would have avoided it entirely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy the book, November 8, 2012
First off, I need to confess - - I love Melissa Leapman as an author and teacher. I took my first "real" knitting class from her about 7 (or was it 8) years ago when I had been knitting for less than 1 year. My LYS had sponsored the classess and it was a weekend affair with 4 classess. The only one I didn't take (at that time) was the fully fashioned one. I didn't take it because I didn't understand the implications of what it would be teaching. Since that time, I have taken Melissa's class on fully fashioned techniques (and enjoyed it) and almost didn't buy the book because I had taken the class, but I DID buy the book and am very happy I did so...So maybe to help others in the dilemna about whether to buy the book here are my thoughts:

IF you appreciate helpful tips and well written instructions on basic knitting techniques all in one place - - BUY THE BOOK!
If you have a tendency to forget what you may have learned in class and want examples of the other techniques discussed in class - - BUY THE BOOK!
If you like two or more of the patterns in the book and want to knit them - - BUY THE BOOK!
If you want someone to hold your hand and tell you row by row how to design a sweater so you can say you did it yourself - - DON'T BUY THE BOOK!
If you want to be inspired by how different increases and decreases can enhance a shapeless pattern and make is something special - - BUY THE BOOK!
If you want a volume of Melissa's insights all in one place (or as I like to refer to it as My-Mini-Melissa) - - BUY THE BOOK!
If you like (or need) to "tweak" patterns to address fit or fashion issues and need some reminders of different ways it can be done - - BUY THE BOOK!
If you are straped for cash and aren't sure - - Check the book out from the library and then save your pennies and BUY THE BOOK (or ask for it for Christmas or birthday gift)

When I took Melissa's first class, I thought of myself as a "beginner" because I hadn't been knitting for all that long. A very accomplished knitter scoffed at my self-assessment and said "you look at patterns as suggestions and then tweak and change and adjust - - that is not beginner behavior". I now self-assess my skills as probably advanced intermediate to advanced and found that this book may not "teach" me anything new, but it does "remind" me of the possibilities.

Thanks Melissa!

5.0 out of 5 stars Knitting The Perfect Fit, September 5, 2012
clk (Northbrook, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This is another great reference book for knitters! Melissa Leapman is a master of techniques, and this book does not disappoint. She gives us all the techniques we need to make a sweater fit, and look beautiful at the same time. The patterns in this book are gorgeous! But the best part of this book is the text --- the information on fit and shaping is invaluable and can be used again and again on any knitted garment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You Melissa Leapman!, November 20, 2012
knitdr (Rochester, Mn) - See all my reviews
Melissa Leapman is one of my favorite knitting designers and authors. Knitting the Perfect Fit is an easy to follow, practical yet innovative book. It incorporates many useful techniques into one reference and holds a prime spot on my knitting book shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It!!, August 7, 2012
This book contains a lot of valuable tips and info, and all presented in a very readable and understandable way. I love the step by step photo illustrations of each technique.

I would describe myself as an intermediate knitter, so some things I knew already, but there is enough new stuff to make me really excited about this book! I just got it today, and I have already leafed through cover to cover, and look forward to expanding my knitting experience. I will definitely knit some of the patterns, and will use the figure-flattering tips that are suggested.

Definitely a five star recommendation from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Resource for Fitting Your Garments Perfectly, April 12, 2013
I took a class from Melissa Leapman at Stitches South and was very impressed with her knowledge and ability to communicate. This book demonstrates her abilities at teaching knitters how to better fit their projects to the sizes they want.

The topics covered are the basics - decreases and increases; utilizing charts; the language of knitting; ways to make stockinette garments look extraordinary; designer details, and ways to flatter your figure.

There are several patterns I like. My favorites are Marie which is a pullover figure flatterer in a nice shade of periwinkle using worsted weight yarn. I also like Marilyn's Crossover Top. Some of the other patterns also call out to me.

What is special about this book, however, is not the patterns. Buy it for a resource. You will be taught so many things about how to fit your garments that you never knew before. Thank you Melissa for this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it!!!, March 3, 2013
Amazon Customer (kibutz hama'apil, Israel) - See all my reviews
amazing clothes. simple, yet unique and neat.
The instructions are simple and clear. if you know how to knit and read patterns - you're ready to go.
Perfect knitting with a perfect book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait to get more wool!, February 5, 2013
What beautiful projects there are in this book. They can be challenging, but not insurmountably so. They don't all suit me but I'll find someone to give them to - once I get them done!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really like the book, January 11, 2013
The book has some really nice examples of swatches to knit to learn different techniques.
It talks about how to find your body type and which sweaters look good on each body type.
Then there are a series of patterns geared toward each body type. It is not exactly what I expected.
I thought there would be more on altering patterns within each pattern type to give the reader practice
making those changes, but it it a good book with some nice patterns.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›