Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 365 Knitting Stitches a Year: Perpetual Calendar
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Calendar|Change

on June 2, 2006
First, I want to comment on the errors that were in the early releases (I believe editions 1 and 2) of this calendar/book. Martingale will REPLACE your copy FREE OF CHARGE if it happens to be one of the early editions that did have errors. I have no affiliation with Martingale, or this book - just a happy customer. You can contact them thru e-mail, snail mail, or telephone. On the FIRST inside page of the book is their web address and snail mail address. This page also contains all the info you need to give them in order for them to know if your book has problems. Although I never encountered a problem, I checked with them, and my book was one that had errors. I am still at the beginner/novice stage, and had used about 6 to 12 of their stitch patterns without any problem, so I was surprised that my copy was one with errors. And, I know of several others who have this book/calendar and never encountered a problem, but did have an edition that was known to have errors, and they had them replaced as well. Martingale acted quickly, and I received my new copy in less than 10 days, during holiday season. AND they do NOT ask you to return the old book, or charge any shipping/handling.

OK, now about the book/calendar. I LOVE it. It's a perpetual calendar so you will be able to use it year after year. Even though I have had this book/calendar for more than a year, it is still a pleasure each morning to flip to the next day and see the beautiful, clear, crisp, close-up photo of beautifully knitted stitches. There is 1 page for every day of the year. And each page contains a different pattern - complete with the pattern and its name, a photo and the number of stitches to work the pattern (i.e. Multiple of 2 +1). These patterns can be used for clothing, accessories - your imagination (and ability) is the limit. This is great for all knitters - from the very beginner to the advanced.

And, if you do buy this calendar/book, here's a tip: You'll want to start a notebook (or file) on which to write the date and pattern name (and perhaps what you have in mind for this pattern). I say this because there are so many you will want to use. On my original copy, I started putting sticky note tabs on the dates that had patterns I wanted to use (not realizing how many I would love)... well, I ran out of sticky note tabs, and it looked plain 'ol tacky with those silly things hanging off the edge :-) (I did say I was a beginner, so I learned a lot since I first purchased this book - about knitting, and about keeping track of patterns.)

I have many knitting books, but this is THE one I see/use every day.
22 comments|104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is a nice idea--365 stitches, laid out in a stand-up easel spiral bound desk calendar. It could inspire you to swatch out a new stitch every day, or provoke ideas for new knitting designs.
It might make a great gift for a knitting friend. But do you need it? If you have volumes upon volumes of knitting stitch libraries, this might be superfluous. But if you are new to the wide variety of knitting stitches that can be created by knitting, purling, crossing and cabling, you might really enjoy having this pretty calendar on your desk.
on September 21, 2002
This is a great little book of interesting stitches beautifully photographed with instructions written in English--no charts. HOWEVER, be careful to watch for errors. I tried the first two (January 1 and 2) and found both had errors. The photos made it easy to figure out what was wrong with the instructions--maybe you need to be an experienced knitter to do this, though. In January 1, omit the "wyif" from row 3. In January 2, omit "wyif" from rows 1 and 3.
on November 4, 2004
I have a friend who loves this book, so i was surprised to see the problems with errors other reviewers mentioned. I ordered it anyway--with plans to get a copy of the errata page to keep with the book. There is a link on the publishers web site to email for errata info, and when i did, they got back to me quickly letting me know they would replace my book. I called their 800 number to provide my address and double check that this was necessary and found out that my new book is the 6th edition, which apparently has no erratas (so far, i guess) so the replacement was unnecessary. anyway, i think this is a great little book and i've had no problems so far...
on July 20, 2003
I refer to this book to pick next pattern for afghan, baby blanket, sweater or just to find inspiration for the next design. since it is small and handy, i pick up my needles and start creating a swatch and if it does not fit my design, i go on to the next pattern. it is very convenient and handy. other books are heavy and take time to search for, which make me use them less now. this one is close at hand and i can find the patterns i have in mind quickly which help me pick up the needle more offen than before.
on January 8, 2004
I don't have this book (yet!) but someone in a knitting community that I'm part of posted this link <[...]> to an errata page for the first and second editions. Apparently there are quite a few mistakes in the patterns for serveral of the days, so if you have the first or second edition, you may want to check the link out.
VINE VOICEon June 18, 2007
. . . . and needed a book with a bunch of patterns and this is what they hand me. I was in a big knitting shop in Austin - they have TONS of samples knitted up with the yarns that they sell. I inquired about several scarves they had hanging and all of them came from this collection of patterns. Perfect for adding a pattern to a scarf, sock, or otherwise plain sweater.

Purely a wealth of wonderful patterns. Great book if all you need are stitch patterns. Beware: this is not for those folks who do not have other instructional books and/or not willing to experiment with the patterns. Because there are not specific projects in mind, the patterns sometimes have to be "tried" to get needle sizing and finished project dimensions worked out. This is not the guide to show you how to knit, purl, ssk, k2tog - or any techniques. But that's ok - - sometimes you just need the pattern (I think some books waste a bunch of space on the "how to" aspect).

As far as I can tell, there is no sequence to the pattern order - but it's very easy to flip through - - - and if the pattern you are looking for has a name, you can look them up that way, too. The color photos are clear. And the actual size of the book is perfect - easy to slip into a knitting bag. Plus the spiral binding is nice- you don't have to worry about the pages flipping over.
on July 11, 2004
Half of all the patterns I've tried in this book have errors. Some are obvious, and you can easily see that the pattern won't work. Some are not, and you spend time ripping out and trying again only to finally realize it's not you, it's the book. One reviewer says there is an errata page. I've got to find it. Love the idea of the book, because I like to do little samples to pass the time rather than invest major commitment to a big project. But this book is so frustrating with all its errors, that it's ruining my fun.
on July 23, 2002
Beautiful, useful, well put together. The color photography is exceptional, and the instructions are very clear. I would recommend this as a gift for ANYONE who knits. Kudos to Martingale--if you liked their 365 Quilt Blocks a Year calendar you'll love this too.
on August 22, 2007
I love the idea of this calendar and the content. The pictures make me want to pick up my needles and start creating. I've used countless patterns from it.

The only reason I gave it such a low rating is because I've owned two and both have fallen apart. The way the wire rings (more of a C shape really)are designed you have to balance it just right so pages don't start falling off the wire. And then the next day when you turn the page you do it all over again - pages fall off, you finagle them back on and then try to get it to stand up without losing more pages. If the company could make a better ring design I'd give it 5 stars.