4.0 out of 5 stars Build you Resume - Rock an interview
Knock 'Em Dead by Martin Yate is the Ultimate Job Search Guide and has recently been updated for 2011. Whether you are unemployed or looking to switch jobs (either now or in the future) this book is a great guide and full of great tips to help you get not only your resume, but also your mind, in shape.
The first part of the book goes over how to make your resume be...
Published on April 10, 2011 by ConcertKatie

3.0 out of 5 stars Knock Em Dead 2011
Knock em Dead 2011

Published on April 21, 2011 by Aleah Helton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Build you Resume - Rock an interview, April 10, 2011
This review is from: Knock 'em Dead 2011: The Ultimate Job Search Guide (Paperback)
The first part of the book goes over how to make your resume be competitive. At the end of each chapter there are activities for the reader to do to help figure out what items need to be added to the resume as well as how to phrase them.
Once you have your resume and cover letters set, the next part is all about the next step in the job hunt - the Interviews! There are examples of questions that might pop up in interviews and how you should best answer them to promote yourself in a way that will keep the company interested. There are tips on how to ace a phone interview, in person interview, and even a meal time interview. There are details on what you should wear, what your body language should portray and what you should ask.

3.0 out of 5 stars Knock Em Dead 2011, April 21, 2011
Knock em Dead 2011

I recently received this book via Booksneeze.com. I was really excited to receive the book, but I was kinda disappointed when I finally read it. Overall this is a good book and has a lot of useful information, but not a lot of new information. Most of the stuff was things that I already knew and could find in any library or with a simple google search.

What information it did have was very well written and very good. I loved the way the book is written. It is easy to read and it flows well. I also enjoyed how easy it is to actually look something up in the book. It is laid out in way that is easy to read and easy to follow.

Overall, I was a bit disappointed... but for someone that needs a tangible book for this information rather than an internet search, it would be a great option.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is filled with interviewing and job-seeking wisdom!, January 30, 2011
Theresa Watts (Absecon, NJ, United States) - See all my reviews
I first purchased "Knock Em Dead" in 1995 after graduating from college. I used it faithfully and landed nearly every job that I interviewed for as a result. I found myself in the job market again this year, so I updated to the 2011 version and found it to be just as helpful. I interviewed for a job recently and am still in the running. I've also used some of the networking techniques described, which has also been fortuitous. This book is money well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect guide to finding a new job, September 1, 2011
This book isn't for figuring out which career is right for you; it's for getting a job in the career you've chosen. Knock 'em Dead provides an in-depth guide to the job search with resources for recent grads and seasoned professionals alike. Whether you're trying to get an interview, lock down an offer, negotiate the best deal, or position yourself to move up at your current company, there is invaluable information here for you. I highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just might be essential, July 2, 2011
J. Green (Los Angeles, California) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I've never had much trouble putting together a great resume or doing well in an interview. Some things I learned in classes many years ago, and others just by going on interviews. But I've been out of school for a number of years and it's been a while since I last changed jobs.

And it's a very different economy and job hunting situation now. Not only are jobs more scarce but there's a lot more competition in this down economy. And while I've only been looking passively for a while now, I find it's not as easy to even get interviews as it once was.

Job hunting can be more difficult in this highly computerized world. Resumes go into databases and may not even be reviewed by a person unless the computer selects them. Martin Yate discusses ways to get your resume selected by using important keywords and how to figure out what they are - and his method will take some real effort. He talks about how to deal with the interview and difficult questions, and how to negotiate when an offer is coming. He also leans heavily upon the old practice of networking - something I've never been very good at but which has worked since the days of Benjamin Franklin! He even follows up with information on what employment areas are in demand right now.

While this is a very good update of an old standard, it's not perfect. The writing can feel a little dense at times and occasionally it seems like a topic is over-covered or gets repetitive. The approach might look similar to the "Idiot's Guides" or "... for Dummies" books, but this one is a lot more serious. It also took me a while before I realized I probably didn't need to read every single part of this book and it can be treated as a reference. I also wish there had been a little more detail on the format of resumes or how to do a cover letter instead of having to consult the author's other publications.

But this is probably the very best place to start your job search, especially if it's been a while or if you're a recent graduate. I'm really not a fan of the "self-help" type of books, but I'll make an exception for this one - this one just might be essential. (I received this book from Thomas Nelson Publishers blogger program.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gain confidence and feel prepared!, June 8, 2011
I decided to try out the 2011 Knock 'em Dead book and see how it went. I just so happened to have a job interview scheduled, so I thought I would read the book and see how effective it really was for me. As I browsed through all the different sections--from how to find a job, to the tough interview questions, to even what to do after you do or do not get the job...this book covered everything!

An hour before the interview I found myself trying to go over the section that covered tough interview questions. I liked that it gave answers that weren't rehearsed and boring, but ones that you could adapt to fit your own life experience and personality.

The outcome: well, I sadly did not get the job. The interviewer however did say that I seemed like a confidant person that gave a very good interview, and if it weren't for the lack of professional experience (I am a recent grad...) then the job would have been mine! Although this is not great for me...I would say the book was a success in the end because it did what I wanted it to do when I read it, and that was to help me feel prepared and confident for the interview.

3.0 out of 5 stars Knock'em Dead 2011, May 15, 2011
Knock'em Dead 2011 25th Anniversary ~ Martin Yate CPC
This book is for those on a job search or ready to change careers. The book covers doing a resume, questions from the interview, negotiating pay, interview followup, where the jobs are, and gives the fast growing occupations.

I found this book very helpful and useful as I was in the middle of a career change when I received this in the mail. I read over the questions and it was helpful, but readers of this book need to realize this is a tool.... don't memorize the answers you need to study the question and answer it to what fits your need. I felt this book was a help in my next career search and would recommend it to those that are ready for the next chapter of their careers. It does have chapters that caterer to those right out of high school of college.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.

5.0 out of 5 stars getting prepared, October 24, 2010
We bought this book for our daughter on recommendation from our son. He's using it in his senior year as one of his texts. Great for resume revamping, interviewing and generally having an edge. As an employer, my husband has read it and used it in his business dealings also.

4.0 out of 5 stars decent book, August 10, 2013
Great resource for school and worth keeping for reference when taking other courses. I think it will get more use as time goes on.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential career resource., December 5, 2012
This book is my go to guide when I have needed to get my career search in gear. Well written by a consummate pro in the career business. I have earlier versions of this book and over the years it just keeps getting better. I referred many colleges to this book and I always receive good feedback of their positive experiences.
MJS

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Knock 'em Dead 2011: The Ultimate Job Search Guide
Knock 'em Dead 2011: The Ultimate Job Search Guide by Martin Yate (Paperback - September 18, 2010)
Used & New from: $0.01