Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Knock 'em Dead 2011: The Ultimate Job Search Guide
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on April 10, 2011
Knock 'Em Dead by Martin Yate is the Ultimate Job Search Guide and has recently been updated for 2011. Whether you are unemployed or looking to switch jobs (either now or in the future) this book is a great guide and full of great tips to help you get not only your resume, but also your mind, in shape.
The first part of the book goes over how to make your resume be competitive. At the end of each chapter there are activities for the reader to do to help figure out what items need to be added to the resume as well as how to phrase them.
Once you have your resume and cover letters set, the next part is all about the next step in the job hunt - the Interviews! There are examples of questions that might pop up in interviews and how you should best answer them to promote yourself in a way that will keep the company interested. There are tips on how to ace a phone interview, in person interview, and even a meal time interview. There are details on what you should wear, what your body language should portray and what you should ask.
on April 21, 2011
Knock em Dead 2011

I recently received this book via Booksneeze.com. I was really excited to receive the book, but I was kinda disappointed when I finally read it. Overall this is a good book and has a lot of useful information, but not a lot of new information. Most of the stuff was things that I already knew and could find in any library or with a simple google search.

What information it did have was very well written and very good. I loved the way the book is written. It is easy to read and it flows well. I also enjoyed how easy it is to actually look something up in the book. It is laid out in way that is easy to read and easy to follow.

Overall, I was a bit disappointed... but for someone that needs a tangible book for this information rather than an internet search, it would be a great option.
on September 1, 2011
This book isn't for figuring out which career is right for you; it's for getting a job in the career you've chosen. Knock 'em Dead provides an in-depth guide to the job search with resources for recent grads and seasoned professionals alike. Whether you're trying to get an interview, lock down an offer, negotiate the best deal, or position yourself to move up at your current company, there is invaluable information here for you. I highly recommend this book.
VINE VOICEon July 2, 2011
I've never had much trouble putting together a great resume or doing well in an interview. Some things I learned in classes many years ago, and others just by going on interviews. But I've been out of school for a number of years and it's been a while since I last changed jobs.

And it's a very different economy and job hunting situation now. Not only are jobs more scarce but there's a lot more competition in this down economy. And while I've only been looking passively for a while now, I find it's not as easy to even get interviews as it once was.

Job hunting can be more difficult in this highly computerized world. Resumes go into databases and may not even be reviewed by a person unless the computer selects them. Martin Yate discusses ways to get your resume selected by using important keywords and how to figure out what they are - and his method will take some real effort. He talks about how to deal with the interview and difficult questions, and how to negotiate when an offer is coming. He also leans heavily upon the old practice of networking - something I've never been very good at but which has worked since the days of Benjamin Franklin! He even follows up with information on what employment areas are in demand right now.

While this is a very good update of an old standard, it's not perfect. The writing can feel a little dense at times and occasionally it seems like a topic is over-covered or gets repetitive. The approach might look similar to the "Idiot's Guides" or "... for Dummies" books, but this one is a lot more serious. It also took me a while before I realized I probably didn't need to read every single part of this book and it can be treated as a reference. I also wish there had been a little more detail on the format of resumes or how to do a cover letter instead of having to consult the author's other publications.

But this is probably the very best place to start your job search, especially if it's been a while or if you're a recent graduate. I'm really not a fan of the "self-help" type of books, but I'll make an exception for this one - this one just might be essential. (I received this book from Thomas Nelson Publishers blogger program.)
on June 8, 2011
I decided to try out the 2011 Knock 'em Dead book and see how it went. I just so happened to have a job interview scheduled, so I thought I would read the book and see how effective it really was for me. As I browsed through all the different sections--from how to find a job, to the tough interview questions, to even what to do after you do or do not get the job...this book covered everything!

An hour before the interview I found myself trying to go over the section that covered tough interview questions. I liked that it gave answers that weren't rehearsed and boring, but ones that you could adapt to fit your own life experience and personality.

The outcome: well, I sadly did not get the job. The interviewer however did say that I seemed like a confidant person that gave a very good interview, and if it weren't for the lack of professional experience (I am a recent grad...) then the job would have been mine! Although this is not great for me...I would say the book was a success in the end because it did what I wanted it to do when I read it, and that was to help me feel prepared and confident for the interview.
on January 30, 2011
I first purchased "Knock Em Dead" in 1995 after graduating from college. I used it faithfully and landed nearly every job that I interviewed for as a result. I found myself in the job market again this year, so I updated to the 2011 version and found it to be just as helpful. I interviewed for a job recently and am still in the running. I've also used some of the networking techniques described, which has also been fortuitous. This book is money well spent.
on May 15, 2011
Knock'em Dead 2011 25th Anniversary ~ Martin Yate CPC
This book is for those on a job search or ready to change careers. The book covers doing a resume, questions from the interview, negotiating pay, interview followup, where the jobs are, and gives the fast growing occupations.

I found this book very helpful and useful as I was in the middle of a career change when I received this in the mail. I read over the questions and it was helpful, but readers of this book need to realize this is a tool.... don't memorize the answers you need to study the question and answer it to what fits your need. I felt this book was a help in my next career search and would recommend it to those that are ready for the next chapter of their careers. It does have chapters that caterer to those right out of high school of college.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.
on November 23, 2012
...due in no small part to this book. I first purchased an earlier edition of "Knock 'em Dead" while I was a senior in college. When it was time for a career shift 6.5 years later I purchased this edition. Professionally, I've followed the advice within throughout. Never have I been unemployed. If there is a stronger recommendation I can give to purchase this book, I don't know of it.

To get the most out of this book (i.e., a job) you'll need "Knock 'em Dead: Resumes" and "Knock 'em Dead:
Cover Letters" too. Not including all three of these books in one tome is a shameless ploy to get you to spend more, -- but you'll make up the cost of all three with your new job's first paycheck.
on June 21, 2011
It's no big secret that I'm always in search of something "better' in the career industry. I've been teaching for the past 12 years and let's face it--I know how to "play the game" when it comes time for the interviewing with the principals, etc. because I've been in the system for so long.

Now that the job market is changing and teaching is no longer a "safe" career, I thought it was time for me to sharpen up my skills in learning what to do in case I need to interview for a job outside of the education field, but still within my skill set.

I will tell you that this is not some magical book that tells you how to write the most remarkable resume to get that fabulous job you want. It's a lot of work, much to my chagrin, to actually create a resume in today's job market. It used to be you could slap your experience on the paper, give a few references and "promise" to learn the things needed. Now with our economy in the toilet, there are 10 other people who could do the job with their eyes closed and they're your competition.

Don't fear. Mr. Yate has a step-by-step process that will guide you through creating a competitive resume for todays' market. As I mentioned before, it's a lot of work, but if you follow his steps, you'll have an awesome resume that will at least get you in the door for an interview.

While the author does give you tips for various types of interviews and questions that may be asked, you still have to practice and have the confidence in yourself to follow through and get the successful results of your "dream job."

I loved how the author wrote the book like he was actually there coaching you through each step in the process. While it was a lot of work, he included sites to go for help with each section in case you needed more help or practice. If I do actually have to search for another job/career, I will definitely put these guidelines into practice.

I'm a visual person so I would have preferred to see more illustrations and examples. However, I understand that every resume will be different because it is tailored to fit the description of the job to which you're applying for on the various sites.

Overall, this is a great book for anyone--even those not searching for jobs at the moment because it causes you to redirect your focus and reorganize your priorities and skill sets.
on June 3, 2011
In Knock `Em Dead, Martin Yate teaches people how to get a job in today's tough economy. You must have a professional brand in order to succeed and stand out from others. A good professional brand consists of your transferable skills, learned behaviors, and core values in the workplace. The book will show you how to write a resume that will look professional and will help you land the job. Yate gave wonderful tips on how to dress to impress your bosses for job interviews. He also included several difficult questions that job interviews may ask you. He provided the way to professional answer them.

Some of the questions include:

"Why do you want to work here?"

"What are you qualifications?"

"Why should I hire you?"

"Rate yourself on a scale of one to ten."

"How do you get along with different kinds of people?"

I enjoyed learning the many job techniques in Knock `Em Dead 25th Anniversary Edition. The book is a great guide for your professional careers to always use and refer back to. I would recommend Knock `Em Dead to anyone who is looking for a job or need to improve in their professional career. Yate taught me how to make my own professional brand and how to land the job in my interviews. He immensely helped me to create my resume and make it look professional and appealing to bosses. The book also contained thirty fast growing occupations in today's economy. Some of them included Pharmacist, Athletic Trainer, Medical Assistant, Computer Software Engineer, and much more. I am currently in College so I might need to be changing my major soon! If want to succeed in the workplace then this book can and will help you!

"I received this book free from the publisher through the Book Sneeze book review bloggers program."