Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on December 15, 2011
Not getting interviews? Stymied by the black hole of resume databases, which contain jillions of resumes? Unsure how to differentiate yourself, so that you at least get to the interview stage, crucial for feedback?

How do you know whether or not you're on the right path in your job search? Not a trivial question, given limited time and financial resources that nearly everyone faces. Treated intelligently, finding good advice becomes a job unto itself. But who has time? How does one choose from among the competing reputations, the myriad books, approaches, methods, etc?

Here's the central, framing question: what is current, state of the art advice on how to most efficiently and effectively conduct a job search and find employment as rapidly as possible? Yate may have 80 or 90% of the solution.

Not since Karl R. Boll and his masterpiece, Executive Jobs Unlimited (unfortunately out of print) has any author been so preeminent in job-search strategy and tactics as Martin Yate. (Granted, Boll's book is somewhat obsolescent due to the digital age, but still profoundly relevant in its concepts.)

Yate has a comprehensive, integrated perspective. This is important. You need to be comfortable with an advisor's premises to feel as though you are not going down a blind alley in your efforts. He has a well-defined method for efficiently and effectively treating one's job search as a marketing campaign. His writing is fairly concise, his reasoning generally clear and substantive, ie., no fluff, no rhetorical filler. He identifies tangible steps to make the normally formidable challenge of finding work an approachable action-plan.

If there is a bone to pick, it is that there is quite a bit of overlap among his various books. I don't think it matters terribly, given how inexpensive his books are. Though it would help if in future editions he included more extensive cross-references to material covered in his other books in greater detail. I've bought several of his others, and they are equally excellent. Though I have the previous edition of this book, this one can only be better, if that is humanly possible.
on August 6, 2012
I have bought this book for friends and family many times. Job search is a very lonely business and here is a book which guides you at every step of the process. And informs you of steps and opportunities you would have overlooked or not taken full advantage of. I was an H R professional for 35 years and Yate nails it! Get it and spend time with the Table of Contents. Read the chapters which are relevant to your search as they occur. Re- working your resume, strong advise is there. Got a telephone interview, get prepared. Not hearing back, learn how to gracefully get yourself back in the mix. Using the full power of the Internet, how do you know? Buy it, use it, trust it, it works.
on June 7, 2012
I purchased this version for my cousin who has been successful at job interviews and even got a job offer. I had the 2008 version and got multiple Fortune 50 offers from companies. This book is the TRUTH! I followed the suggestions and have had much success!
on September 8, 2013
This book had excellent information and examples of different types of resumes. It also had lots of information about interviews and a wealth of other information for finding a job. We used the information to write a killer resume that we are sure helped my husband get the job he wanted. I know that is a subjective experience but the book was well worth it for us. I hope it helps you.
on December 9, 2012
I switched careers and have never writen a resume or interviewed for a job before. In my other profession I was in demand and people know me, so if I was available I was just hired without all the traditional processes. I did some research and bought this book, followed Yate's recommendations and developed a resume. I applied to three jobs and landed three interveiws, the first one I blew the interview as I was unprepared. I went back and read the book on interviewing, went to the second interview prepared and nailed it! In addition, I nailed the third interview and now I have multiple offers facing me. Thank You Martin Yate.
on January 14, 2013
I purchased this book as a required text for a class, and I opened and read it once. I can't really speak to the content. Luckily the book was cheap and I'm not sure why there needs to be several different versions.
on September 21, 2012
I have used this invaluable resource several times in the past as a guide to job hunting. I have recommended it several times to friends and relatives In the same situation..no matter how good your network is, this will help you to not waste valuable first contacts and determine the steps to get a job in a tough labor market.
on October 20, 2014
Really just a must have for anyone trying to get a leg up on the competition. Really a good all around book to go to for learning the whole process. Landed me my job. Get the book. Get the job. Give the book to the jobless after. Or keep as reference.
on February 25, 2012
I found that this book has the types of interview questions normally asked in an interview. I would highly recommend that anyone who is fortunately able to get a one-on-one interview to prepare by reading this book.
on March 30, 2012
If you are thinking or in the job search mode, this is a great book to help you make the right decesions and keep you in control.