5.0 out of 5 stars There aren't many products I'm willing to "endorse"
Published on June 18, 2011 by TMCmommy

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing magical about it
I intended to use this for my 6-year old who wakes up with super tangled hair (and has a sensitive noggin). "Lo," I thought, "mornings full of tears, screaming and threats of head shaving will come to an end with one fabulous brush!"

I was wrong.

She hates it.

I hate it.

It doesn't detangle any better than a normal brush. If...
Published on September 26, 2011 by kell

5.0 out of 5 stars There aren't many products I'm willing to "endorse", June 18, 2011
This review is from: Knot Genie Detangling Brush, Pink (Misc.)
This is one of them. My daughter has long, curly hair and a VERY sensitive scalp. Everytime it's time to do her hair I'd almost rather clean a public restroom. Yes, the fights were *that* bad! Not anymore! We were in a kid's haircut place getting our son's hair cut when I saw the poster for the Knot Genie and snickered. The hairdresser told me that they too were skeptical of these brushes when they received the samples but were amazed at how well they worked. I told her no way, no how is it going to work on my daughter's hair like it claims it does, "gently and painlessly." She said she was so convinced that it would work she'd let me open one and try it out BEFORE buying it (I wasn't okay with using their sample brush).

Here I go...let me eat my words. It DOES work. Just like they claim it will! Not only did it glide through the tangles with ease, my daughter didn't even let out a peep. At all. This was the first time in almost 4 years that she's let me brush her hair without being on the brink of tears. SCORE!

Pros - It works. 'nuff said.

Cons - There is a "learning curve" to using it. Since there is no handle it does make it a little trickier when using it to pull the hair back in a ponytail. The bristles aren't hard but they're not super soft either so you really need to be careful when brushing at the scalp if you have a sensitive head. For my own hair this isn't a problem. I found the "tougher" bristles to be soothing however my daughter didn't care for the "massage" feeling much so I have to be sure to brush lightly with her.

As if the brush working so well wasn't great enough, my daughter actually comes to me and ASKS to have her hair brushed! How's THAT for a miracle?

Since buying this brush last week I've bought 4 more for friends who have all had the same positive experience. If you have a child with a sensitive scalp and lots of tangles, get this brush! You will not be disappointed!

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing magical about it, September 26, 2011

I was wrong.

She hates it.

I hate it.

It doesn't detangle any better than a normal brush. If anything, the hard, unyielding plastic bristles make the whole process worse. They're ridiculously sharp prompting yells of "OW!" and getting my hand slapped away no matter how gently I try to pull it through her hair. The funky cloud shape makes it difficult for me to get a decent grip on the brush (Why, Knot Genie, did you opt for such anti-ergonomic shape?). It's impossible for my daughter to use the brush without dropping it repeatedly. Her hand is too tiny to hold it. The black brush part easily detaches from the poofy cloud part (again- what's the point?) so it's only a matter of time before one piece or another gets lost. And, lest you think it's just my kid being a whiny punk, I used it on my naturally curly hair and nearly threw it in the trash. My daughter was spot-on: OW! indeed- I wanted to smack my own hand away. I'm kicking myself for wasting so much money on the Knot Genie.

Try a Barbie brush. They're better constructed, not as sharp and you'll get a similar detangling experience with a lot less pain (and more money in your pocket).

4.0 out of 5 stars Not entirely pain free, but WAY better than other brushes!, May 18, 2012
This review is from: Knot Genie Detangling Brush, Pink (Misc.)
I purchased 2 of these (in pink, of course!) in a desperate attempt to deal with my 6 and 8 year old daughters' hair knot issues. One has very long hair and the other has curly hair, and both have sensory issues, so you can imagine how fun hair brushing time is around our place! I sought them out and bought them on the recommendation of a friend wih 6 young kids (no joke) who all have curls.

The claims that it makes brushing pain FREE are bogus. No small child is going to sit there happily smiling and whistling while you untangle the matted rat's nest that is the back of their head, no matter WHAT brush you're using. (Actually for those big mats, a wide toothed comb can piece it out better than any brush anyway.) On the other hand, this is way better than a regular brush, and saves us SO many battles and tantrums, it was worth 100X the purchase price in the harmony it has brought to our home!

The bristles do have pointy ends. I think that's on purpose, to let hair slip easily over the bristles without catching. So you have to be careful not to scratch the scalp with it. Use gentle pressure, less than you would with other brushes. Like ANY brush, start at the ends and work up. With these it helps to brush against something, so take a section of hair and brush it against your palm or the child's back. It reminds me slightly of carding wool. The bristles are so flexible that any tangles that catch don't yank, but the repeated catching from different levels and direction does get them out.

We've had ours for several months now and are so glad. They have lasted and are easy for even my 6 year old to use. So no, they're no magic wand for messy tangles... but they're a definite step up from a regular brush battle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mom and daughter are happy!, June 25, 2012
This review is from: Knot Genie Detangling Brush, Pink (Misc.)
my six year old daughter currently has very long hair but is very sensitive to hair pulling when trying to brush out the snarls in the morning. Luckily, I "don't know how" to do her hair right, so that falls to mom. I hear the battles every morning, along with the threats to just cut it all off (which isn't much of a threat, she's adorable in short hair, too).
Yesterday they used this new brush for the first time and my daughter claimed to not feel anything. My wife practically teared up with joy!

4 stars because its pretty expensive for what amounts to very cheap plastic. I don't see anything magical about the brush, it actually looks very much like many of the other brushes we've tried (and we've tried A LOT of brushes).

Now if we can just keep my 18 month old daughter from using it to brush the cats and dogs...

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Genie, November 21, 2011
This review is from: Knot Genie Detangling Brush, Pink (Misc.)
i have long, straight hair that is medium-fine. This brush is useless - the "bristles" are short, soft plastic and simply bend and skip right over any knots.
Even after brushing for an hour, hair is still a tangled mess. Any hair that the "bristles" do happen to catch are ripped right off my head. I don't think that really counts as taming knots. In any case, I cannot use this on my toddler's hair because the hard, short plastic "bristles" really irritate his scalp. It is like scraping his tender head with a brush made of plastic toothpicks!
Waste of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace is restored at our house, June 4, 2011
This review is from: Knot Genie Detangling Brush, Pink (Misc.)
My family loves this brush, no more fighting in the morning or after baths. Even my husband enjoys getting my daughter ready now. My 5 year old daughters hair is long(mid back)straight and of medium thickness.

BEST USES: After baths. I always use plenty of conditioner and with a regular brush it was still a little hard to brush but not with the Genie. It glides through the hair like butter. I do find that my daughter wants a towel over her shoulders so the bristles don't tickle/scrath her back. The brush doesen't have the soft knobs on the ends. This is not a problem on her head though!

In the mornings. Getting ready is a breeze. She can even brush her own hair, it doesn't matter wich way she pulls the brush. Sideways, back to front - no complaints. I even comb her hair while she eats her cerial!

Getting a ponytail up. I always found it hard to get those little hairs in the neck combed. You know when you have to brush neck and up. Lots of screaming before, but not now. Before I didn't even bother putting a ponytail on the top of her head, I just pulled it together at the back of the neck. My daughter is so much more stylish now and with ease.

After swimming in the pool with braids. I thought I was doomed trying to detangle that mess. It took more time and we had a couple of snags but what do you expect when the girl does twists of a diving board!

No brush is going to get trough pancake syrup, ice cream and other sticky messes but on clean, dry or wet hair the Genie is magic.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's just okay., October 28, 2012
Saw this brush in a news segment and was really excited about it because my daughter has long, thick, curly, unruly hair. It's okay.
Pros:The brush is extremely lightweight, under 2 oz.
The size is just right for our hands.
It does what it is advertised to do, removes those tangles!
Cons:The bristles are very hard, which irritate her scalp, BUT, she decided that she can live with it, because it is easier to brush with this item over any other we have tried.
The brush is not very well constructed. We have had the brush for about 2 weeks and the silver finish has started to flake off and it popped apart when it was dropped.
When it is time for a new brush, I will probably try something else.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, but it is NOTpainless, January 27, 2014
This review is from: Knot Genie Detangling Brush, Pink (Misc.)
I purchased this for my daughter's difficult-to-manage-hair. It certainly works- even on wet hair. This brush detangles much more quickly than any combination of detanglers and brushes that I have ever tried. However, it is still somewhat painful. I tried it on my own hair and find it more painful than my paddle brush. I have read reviews that their children use the brush to brush their own hair as if it were such a joy...but it is not. It gets the job done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on dogs, too!, May 8, 2013
This review is from: Knot Genie Detangling Brush, Pink (Misc.)
My little poodle and maltipoo have fur that tangles horribly, and all the "dog" brushes I have in the house just hurt them and snagged in their tangles. I bought this brush and the difference was extraordinary! They love this brush - it not only keeps them completely tangle free, but they love the way it feels - the one getting brushed just melts while I use it, and rolls around to make sure i don't miss anything, while the other one tries to jump in and get brushed out of turn. Now I'm back to buy another one for my mom - she tried it on her Westies, who usually growl and snap when she tries to brush them, and they not only liked it, their tangles came right out. None of our dogs have ever been so easy to groom before!

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of Knot Genie, June 4, 2012
This review is from: Knot Genie Detangling Brush, Pink (Misc.)
Purchased the knot genie for my 4 y/o daughter who screams every time you have to comb her hair. The knot genie arrived within a few days and we have found that it does produce less tears than a conventional brush.

Knot Genie Detangling Brush, Pink