Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews (1 star)show all reviews
on July 31, 2002
Format: Audio CD
I live in Tokyo so I was able to get the Japanese pressing of this album. I admit that because of the bonus tracks (one being MASSES AGAINST THE CLASSES) the version I purchased had a little more personality than the UK version, However it didn't prevent 75 % of this record from boring me to tears. I guess it was time to try to please everyone. This record is one big mess(with the exception of the first few songs 'in the beginning' and a couple at the end). About a month after this album was out they released a Japan only EP called 'KNOW OUR B-SIDES'(To all you American fans: If you can find this get it.It's got video of Found that Soul live in Cuba as a Multimedia track.). When I heard these tunes I was amazed that they weren't on the album. Instead we are treated to throw away tracks like 'THE YEAR OF PURIFICATION'(I was never an R.E.M. fan),'MISS EUROPA DISCO DANCER' (They must be joking) and almost everything else after track 5. I was so angry about this album, I popped an MD into my stereo and made my own version of the record. The track listing goes like this;
1.Masses against the Classes
2.Locust Valley
3.Ocean Spray
4.So Why so Sad
5.Let Robeson sing
6.Pedestal
7.Prologue to History (it just fits in better here)
8.Groundhog Days
9.Ballad of the Bangkok Novotel
10.Little Trolls
11.Royal Correspondent
12.Baby Elian
13.So Why so Sad(Avalanches-Sean Penn Mix)
14.Ocean Spray (Elis Island version)

Now ,try this version yourselves and you'll see that the one they put together can't compete. THAT'S why I'm so sad.
This album is just too long, too under written & it sounds like they forgot how to play their instruments. 'This is my truth tell me yours'(An absolute Masterpiece in every way.) certainly was a hard act to follow. NEXT!!!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again