Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie (Picture Puffins)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 15, 1999
*Hilarious* is the only word to describe this picture book which is a take off of the classic "I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.
When an "old lady" comes to Thanksgiving dinner she swallows a pumpkin pie--whole. To wash down the pie (which was really too dry) she gulps some cider which "rumbles and mumbles and grumbles" inside her. Then to the horror of the adults and the delight of the children she gobbles the entire Thanksgiving feast!
The illustrations cap off the delightful text and add even more fantastic humor as the old lady grows in proportion with each outlandish bite.
A must read for story time--kids will be giggling more with every turn of the page. And you'll be "thankful" you don't have such a relative. Or do you?
Karma Wilson
on November 15, 2000
Alison Jackson has written a superb take-off on the classic, I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. In this very funny, very hip rendering, the old lady with an unbelievable appetite, swallows first the pie, the very pie she brought to the Thanksgiving feast. This is followed by a jug of cider..."to moisten the pie which was really too dry", then a roll, a squash, the salad, the turkey and on and on.....With each addition, she grows bigger and fatter to the delight and amusement of the family children and the horror of their parents, as they watch their entire holiday meal disappear. Ms Jackson's text is complimented by Judith Byron Schachner's wonderfully expressive and detailed illustrations. Together they have authored a holiday classic, complete with charming, surprise ending, that will be enjoyed by your family for many years to come.
on August 23, 1999
My children enjoyed this book emensely! Wonderful illustrations ! A new "Thanksgiving read" tradition!
on March 30, 2016
I love singing stories to my elementary students in music class. Over time, the students learn the tunes as well and sing with me. They enjoy visuals which is why the thought of musical "story time" is usually a success for me. I own almost all of the "There Was an Old Lady" stories. There are books for each holiday and season. The students always become excited when they see one of these books in my hand to "read-sing" together!
on December 5, 2015
This is a great book. My 3&1/2 year old son loves it. We read a lot of books and this one has already been ready many times. We can pretty much recite the whole thing. Must say though, maybe instead of, "Perhaps she'll die" the author could of used something less grim. I don't mind it but for people who do, just know that "Perhaps she'll die" comes after each and everything she swallows.
on February 10, 2006
I'm a music teacher for grades K-3. Never have I seen kids react so intensely to a sing-along book as they did for all the "I Know an Old Lady..." books. This one especially sparks kids' minds and brings so many other subjects into play. Kids like talking about Thanksgiving as it's one of the few holidays both kids and teachers openly celebrate. This book brought about questions of traditional food and activites as well as the health repercussions of stuffing ourselves. In the end, kindergarten through third grade eyes will sparkle to see the Old Lady grow into a balloon!
on August 27, 2014
this book is so much fun! it is very clever...great book to give to a child around thanksgiving time as it talks about all the things that might wind up on your thanksgiving day table...and concludes with the big parade! the illustrations are chaotically fun and colorful and the rhyming is entertaining as the story unfolds. the only reason i'm not giving it five stars is...every page ends with..."Perhaps she'll die!"...which is of course is the way the poem goes. But, i would much preferred the author to say, for example, "She swallowed the cider to moisten the pie, the Thanksgiving pie that was really too dry...WE DON'T KNOW WHY"...instead of "perhaps she'll die".

Other than that...lots of fun!
on January 11, 2015
I got tired of the "fly" version of this poem decades ago, and the "shell" version and others never really impressed me (I guess I'm tougher to please than I'd have thought...), UNTIL...she decided to swallow the entire Thanksgiving dinner! When I read it, I DON'T just "read" it, but we all SING it together, and the children I teach BEG for it, all autumn long!
on December 13, 2014
Great Thanksgiving book. My preschool students love the rhythm of these "Old lady" books and this one doesn't disappoint. Just be aware that it does have the line "Perhaps she'll die" in it. We change it to "Perhaps she'll cry" when we read it aloud.. because dying is not appropriate for a comedic children's book.
on December 5, 2013
Cute! I love this series. I did change "perhaps she'll die" which is repeated on every page to different words when I read it to my 3 year old. I think they could have chosen better words. I'm not ready for my little one to ask what that means. So while it is a cute book, just know that it is in the book many times.