5.0 out of 5 stars Good golly Granny--show some manners!
*Hilarious* is the only word to describe this picture book which is a take off of the classic "I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.
Published on May 15, 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible message
My three year old daughter was read this book at her school's thanksgiving celebration. Two weeks later and she is still traumatized by the idea that if she eats too much food she will become "so big like the giant lady in the story." In this day and age with younger and younger children having body image concerns, the gist of this picture book (while perhaps cute...
Published 14 days ago by Courtney

5.0 out of 5 stars Good golly Granny--show some manners!, May 15, 1999
By A Customer
When an "old lady" comes to Thanksgiving dinner she swallows a pumpkin pie--whole. To wash down the pie (which was really too dry) she gulps some cider which "rumbles and mumbles and grumbles" inside her. Then to the horror of the adults and the delight of the children she gobbles the entire Thanksgiving feast!
The illustrations cap off the delightful text and add even more fantastic humor as the old lady grows in proportion with each outlandish bite.
A must read for story time--kids will be giggling more with every turn of the page. And you'll be "thankful" you don't have such a relative. Or do you?
Karma Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Holiday Tradition, November 15, 2000
Alison Jackson has written a superb take-off on the classic, I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. In this very funny, very hip rendering, the old lady with an unbelievable appetite, swallows first the pie, the very pie she brought to the Thanksgiving feast. This is followed by a jug of cider..."to moisten the pie which was really too dry", then a roll, a squash, the salad, the turkey and on and on.....With each addition, she grows bigger and fatter to the delight and amusement of the family children and the horror of their parents, as they watch their entire holiday meal disappear. Ms Jackson's text is complimented by Judith Byron Schachner's wonderfully expressive and detailed illustrations. Together they have authored a holiday classic, complete with charming, surprise ending, that will be enjoyed by your family for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilariously funny Thanksgiving tale!!!, August 23, 1999
By A Customer
My children enjoyed this book emensely! Wonderful illustrations ! A new "Thanksgiving read" tradition!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids love getting fat!, February 10, 2006
Amelia Bedelia "Choir Lady" (Madison, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie (Picture Puffins) (Paperback)
I'm a music teacher for grades K-3. Never have I seen kids react so intensely to a sing-along book as they did for all the "I Know an Old Lady..." books. This one especially sparks kids' minds and brings so many other subjects into play. Kids like talking about Thanksgiving as it's one of the few holidays both kids and teachers openly celebrate. This book brought about questions of traditional food and activites as well as the health repercussions of stuffing ourselves. In the end, kindergarten through third grade eyes will sparkle to see the Old Lady grow into a balloon!

5.0 out of 5 stars interactive puppet theater, October 24, 2001
W. Seifert (Manchester, PA USA) - See all my reviews
My preschool classroom loves to help tell this story with a simple paper bag puppet with a cellophane stomach. A little clipart depicting all the items this grandmotherly woman consumes allows the children to actually feed the puppet. They love this story and it is a "PRA" (please read again) book in our class!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, November 13, 2006
I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Pie is one of the best find for the Thanksgiving holiday. This is an adapation of the old classic rhyme, I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly, with a Thanksgiving twist. She eats and eats until she blows up like a balloon, and flies in the Thanksgiving parade. It's hysterical, and little ones love it. The cadence is wonderful, and a blast to read aloud!

Judy Schachner's illustrations are colorful, and silly, somewhat like Nadine Bernard Wescott's [The Farmer Brown Series, Lady With The Alligator Purse]. If you're looking for a hilarious book for young children say 3 to 7 then this may fit the bill.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Have to Sing This, Silly!, November 23, 2009
I think it's funny that a few reviews have complained about this being a boring book to read and the "repetitiveness" of the words. It's a song. You have to learn the tune to the favorite "I know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" and then substitute with the words of this wonderful book. My 2 and 4-year-olds loved this book, but they already knew the fly version of the song and found this hilarious. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute Rhyming book, November 30, 2008
My kids do like this book (ages 3 & 5). It is silly & a nice Thanksgiving book.

However when reading it I do omit "perhaps she'll die" I didn't think that was really needed & didn't want to read that line. I asked my oldest son about that part. He said he didn't think that was very nice to say that. So, I omit that part but the rhyming & sillness of things she eats is cute.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilariously funny!, September 3, 2001
Anne C. Mons (Central Point, Oregon United States) - See all my reviews
My daughter loves this book. It's one of her favorites that's read over and over again. We still laugh when we read it and look at the little old lady's teeny-tiny feet. The hilarious illustrations in this book tell a story of their own. This is one of those "must haves" for your child's library.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Old lady Who Swallows a Pie, November 12, 2009
If you liked 'The Old lady Who Swallowed a Fly', then you should read 'The old lady Who Swallowed a Pie'. The old lady eats so much food that she turns into a balloon at the Thanksgiving Parade. She even eats a pan! it is hilarious. You should read this woth your class and your family at Thanksgiving.

I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie (Picture Puffins)
I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie (Picture Puffins) by Alison Jackson (Paperback - September 16, 2002)
$6.99