4.0 out of 5 stars Read the Book.
I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER is a story about a group of four high school students who are involved in a hit and run accident which ends up killing a young boy. Speeding down the road late at night after hours of partying, the group strikes a young boy on his bicycle. Instead of stopping to help, the group drives to the nearest phone and makes an anonymous phone call...
Published on January 24, 2004 by tvtv3

2.0 out of 5 stars Formulaic mystery-revenge novel
I didn't see the movie, but I was curious to read the book because the author, Lois Duncan, was very upset about the slasher flick her novel was adapted in to. After seeing the pictures of the hook handed man, I could see why, and one of the reasons it upset her was because her daughter was murdered and it was never solved.
However, this book does not have a hook...
Published on August 17, 2001 by evilgrrlfriday

‹ Previous | 1 2 329 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I Know What You Did Last Summer, April 29, 2002
Derek Schmidt (Coronation, AB Canada) - See all my reviews
Anyone who saw the movie, knows that it is very 'Scream'-like. What with the fisherman killer, who runs around killing people with a hook. Even two of the main characters were killed. But the book is way different. If you expect it to be somewhat the same as the movie, think again. I do, however, think it makes for a good read. But I don't even know why they put the cover of the movie on it, they are so different!

4.0 out of 5 stars Student2716, October 20, 2004

Author- Lois Duncan

When a girl named Julie gets a letter from a suspected stalker her life and three others are brought back to the night when they hit a little boy on a bicycle. Harassment continues with news clippings of the accident taped on doors, harassing letters, and mysterious phone calls. But when the driver of the car Barry gets shot nervousness of the stalker getting violent becomes reality. Meanwhile Barry, also Helen's boyfriend, is in the hospital she makes a guy friend Collie. But the book takes a surprising turn when Collie holds Helen hostage in her apartment. "Collie" had laid it low, changed his name from Bud to Collie and had been stalking all 4 of them for one reason and that reason was his brother. Collie was surprisingly the brother of the little boy on the bicycle, and had witnessed the accident with his own eyes. He tortured Helen with every detail about his revenge against Barry, and his plan to eliminate her and her close friend, Julie when he arrived at Julie's house for a date. When Bud finally arrived at Julie's house for their date Julie and her mom get strange vibes from Bud so Julie decides not to go. When she refuses to go on the date Bud seems to react in a vicious unkind way, and urges her outside to be alone. When Julie finally gives in to walk him outside he immediately strangles her and soon loses consciousness. But she is soon awoken by her X boyfriend Ray. Ray had come in the nick of time to save his loves life. Very soon after that event the police came with the news that a woman, Helen, had gave them a tip before losing her consciousness from a terrible fall from a apartment window to come and check because a man name Collie was after Julie. With the startling attack on Barry, and now Julie and Helen, they were forced to break their pact of silence about the hit and run.

This adventurous tale would be a great book for ages 10 and up. This tale had a little romance, heartbreak, and sadness but suspenseful plot. To me this book lured me in and I never wanted to put it down. The great thing about this book is that the suspense started almost as soon as the story started, which's why I loved it so much. Since I LOVE terror plots, and this satisfied my crave for suspense and terror I would recommend this book to someone who LOVES suspense. This book was very interesting and taught me that one mistake can change your life forever, So don't forget;

I know what you did last summer!

2.0 out of 5 stars Formulaic mystery-revenge novel, August 17, 2001
However, this book does not have a hook handed man, and it's less of a horror novel than a mystery. Four teenagers, Julie, Helen, Barry and Ray, got drunk and stoned at a picnic, they accidentally hit a boy. Julie and Ray wanted to tell, but Helen and Barry objected. They assured themselves everything was all right, but found out later that the boy died.
A year later, they're trying to get on with their lives, but someone is trying to get back at them by sending nasty notes in the mail and even shooting Barry. Helen, Ray and Julie try to figure out who could be doing this, and while they do, they have to confront that ugly event. There is also a subplot about Julie and Ray rekindling their dorment romance.
"I Know What You Did Last Summer" has the usual cliched characters: a goodhearted and studious girl, her rather cardboard love interest, a snooty rich jerk and a pretty, shallow girl (who, to make it even more cliched, has a plain sister who is oh-so-jealous of her.) The ending is a bit predictable, but there is a twist that I didn't see coming. However, the last line is so sappy that it just about ruins what could have been a so-so cautionary tale about burying the past.

3.0 out of 5 stars Student2716, October 21, 2004

Author- Lois Duncan

I know what you did last summer!

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best young adult novels I have ever read, November 19, 1997
By A Customer
As a teenager, this was one of my favorite novels. Today I can still remember lots of details about the story -- it kept me flipping the pages for hours and I thought the characters were great. To this day scenes from the book are still vivid in my mind (like Helen using the bottle of mouthwash to break through the bathroom window while the stalker is unscrewing the bathroom door). I must have read this book around five or six times -- maybe more -- and I was constantly recommending it to my friends. I recently saw the movie and I HATED it -- it wasn't at all faithful to the novel. I was so pissed off after seeing the movie that I bought a copy of the novel and reread it -- it was just as wonderful as I remembered! In fact, I plan on buying the rest of Lois Duncan's backlist because I enjoyed her books so much and they bring back fond childhood memories..

3.0 out of 5 stars Suspense, but no horror, September 14, 2008
This book bears little resemblance to the slasher film that starred Sarah Michelle Gellar and Jennifer Love Hewitt in 1997. Four teenagers involved in a hit-and-run accident that killed a small boy find mysterious notes that imply that someone, somewhere knows about the accident and might expose their involvement (the four made a pact to keep quiet since there were presumably no witnesses). It's the characters' varied reactions to the notes that keeps the plot running; I figured out who it was before the end of the book, however.

5.0 out of 5 stars MUCH BETTER THAN THE MOVIE, July 11, 2000
By A Customer
If you hated the movie "I Know What You Did LastSummer" but love mysteries, check out the book by Lois Duncanthat the movie was VERY loosely based on. As in... the characternames are the same. That's just about it. ... the way the story unfolds is different, and when reading the book you don't hear the screaming of any girls!
Lois Duncan is a fabulous author, not to mention being one of my favorites for atleast eight years. I would recommend any of her books. END

5.0 out of 5 stars I Know What You Did Last Summer, December 11, 2006
A Kid's Review
I give "I Know What You Did Last Summer" 5 stars because of the good detail, suspense, and story line. Lois Duncan does an exellent job at explaining the difficulties and fears that Julie, Helen, Barry, and Ray faced after some one found out that it was them who hit a kid on a mountian road the summer before. She also does a wounderful job of adding supspense as the teens hurry to find out who knows before they all get hurt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome * * * * * Book!, April 28, 2001
By A Customer
This is the first book i read from Lois Duncan and I can tell it's a real thriller! When 4 friends did something so horrible last summer they decided to make a pact and not tell a soul about what they did. But someone knows. Someone who was there that day. Someone who's out there for revenge to make sure that the four don't forget WHAT THEY DID LAST SUMMER.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Know What You Did Last Summer, June 10, 2002
A Kid's Review
I just finished reading the book I Know What You Did Last Summer by Lois Duncan. I would have to say this was a really great book. If you like spine-tingling suspense thrillers, this book is perfect for you. It's one of those books you can't put down. It starts out with four friends Julie, Ray, Barry, and Helen are hanging out together on their last summer before they go off to college. They go to a party and Barry has one two many drinks. Then he decides to drive home, he vision becomes impaired and doesn't see a person crossing the road and hits him with the car. They all rush and see what has gone wrong and then they realize that he is dead. They panic and don't know what to do. Then they decide that the only thing they can do is get rid of the body. They throw the body into the lake thinking that nothing would happen and that everything is taken care of. Little did they know their so-called "perfect plan" didn't work out the way they planned. Exactly one year later that night began to haunt them. One by one they all began getting threats and letters that all stated, "I know what you did last summer." They become very scared and worried and they don't know what to do. They can't go to the police or get help from their parents. They have to figure it out all on their own. Then all of a sudden people started getting hurt and others were dying. They all get together and try to piece together all clues that they have been receiving. As the begin trying to figure it all out, they realize that they had been going in the completely wrong direction. They try there best to stop the killer from attacking and protecting themselves. Soon they find out that it is inevitable to stop him. The ones that are still alive get together and try to fight him back, but killing him is harder than they expected. You should really read this book. It's a very twisted, broken down mystery that all comes together in the end. It gets better with the turn of every page. Don't pass this one up. It's worth it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 329 | Next ›

I Know What You Did Last Summer
I Know What You Did Last Summer by Lois Duncan (Paperback - October 5, 2010)
$9.00