Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings [VHS]
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on January 13, 2002
I read this book when I was in high school ages ago and thank goodness I did. It was one of those tidbits that helps to shape who you are and what you think of yourself. I was and still am an avid reader but this book was the first book I read told from a young black girl's perspective. Imagine it.... It blew me away. But as I read this book it made me realize even more so that people are people. While your environment certainly dictates what sort of priorities you have when you are young you basically think the same things. I don't think the times have changed so much that this book wouldn't still be relevant to the youth of today. For young girls (especially black girls) it deals with self esteem and those raging hormones (commonly referred to as "I'm in Love"), and for youth of any sex or color it deals with just growing up.
If you have anyone in your life that is young, impressionable and going through their teens this book should be required reading. They may not want to do it but I don't think they will be sorry they did do it. You might want to read it or reread it if it's been awhile and then actually take some time to discuss it with a young person. Maya's style is easy to read and to absorb and still stands the test of time.
on April 5, 2002
I am truely a fan of the amazing Maya Angelou. As A white man in his late 20's, you may find this bewildering. She has been a light in my life from her very first novel/autobiography. We were not asked to read the book in High School (mid 80's) like many schools, but I took it upon myself to do so. It wasn't assigned to me until college. (The rest of her story, it took upon myself to explore.) I did not know that there was a film of this work until I got married in 1993, when I quoted a bit of peotry of Ms. Angelou at my reception. Someone told us about the film and eventhough there was some creative omitions, the power and strength of the young lady came through. I am greatful for Ms. Angleou and her works. And it was wonderful to see that someone was able to put to screen what was in my imagination.
on April 23, 2000
I was forced to read the book for my education class in college. i thought at first that it was going to boring but the more i got into it, the more i truely enjoyed seeing a different side to Maya. i liked the book so much that i had to go out and rent the movie! both are wonder representations of what hard work and determination can do for people!
on May 26, 2014
For anyone who has read Maya Angelou's works, this tape is a joy to have. Excellent cast, well directed,and very useful for my students to see. In the age of remakes and movies with II, III and IV in the titles, why this has not been remade or converted to DVD is a mystery.
on September 6, 1997
I had to read this book over the summer for English class and I thought it was going to be a horrible book. It turns out that I was wrong, it was a great book. It is very interesting and true to life. It tells of the struggles of a strong black individual growing up in a harsh world having to deal with societys predjuice. She had only her grandmother and God to believe in and her brother to help her through hard times. Without these people I think that she would have never made as the great and enspiring person she is today. END
on April 1, 2007
Have never memorized a poem, but her brother could.
When Oliver asks for "more" our hearts are with him.
Maya Angelou says that they deserve more.
Her autobiographical description of being raped as a young girl and her
recovery is inspiring. I don't think a black class war on all white establishment efforts is right either.
I believe from my own experience that blacks do deserve more.
The black heritage is important to our culture.
It is by the vitality of the parts of our society that we
are served and serve. If you don't allow people fulfill their abilities their potential
is wasted for all.
on April 2, 2006
This is OK but only tells half of the story. It basically stops right when the book gets interesting. The acting is good, but if you're looking for a video to help your understanding of the book this is not helpful in the least.
on December 19, 1997
I loved it!!! I was a little hesitant to read it at first but after I started it I could not put it down. my friend is reading the most recent one and she loves it. END
on October 15, 2011
I am satisfied with the product and the transportation of it. Thank you very much. top notch! Totally satisfied! Thanks again
on November 3, 2012
At the end, I cried with pride at being part of the human race. Now I'm going to go memorize "Lift Every Voice and Sing."