5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful insights for every career women; a must read
Published on May 16, 2011 by utka

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and dampening
Published on October 30, 2011 by Joanie D

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful insights for every career women; a must read, May 16, 2011
I have to admit, I did not have much of an expectation regarding this book. I picked it up at the bookstore to leaf through out of curiosity since I regularly watch the morning show she's on , and at times not really understanding the role she plays. What a surprise this book turned out to be!I could not put it down and ended up buying it and now buying many copies for my friends, mentorees and daughter in laws. I have spent the past 35 years , some would say very successfully, working myself up the corporate ladder, ending up as president of business units and companies. I experienced what she and her contributors have described in this book and I wish I had a book like this to read to 1) understand why I was behaving and feeling like I did, 2) why I let bosses and companies take advantage of me 3)understand better how to get for myself what I deserved....and overall to know I was not alone in this situation.
I think this book is a great resource for every woman, and especially relevant for young women starting out on the corporate ladder, especially when there is so much "fluff" is written on career advice. I admire Mika B's honesty, and her access to prominent women is really helpful in that, their stories may provide the motivation for some women to act on the advice given in this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and dampening, October 30, 2011
As a regular Morning Joe watcher, I'm a fan of Mika's and was excited to see what advice her wealth of respected experience would yield for this book. I was so disappointed to find that rather than using her pages to uplift women, she basically aired and re-aired her job grievances over and over again in an ineffective and largely uninteresting read. The book was unfocused and meandering. What I'd hoped would be more of a guidebook for how to determine and get what you're worth was actually a pretty defeatist smattering of high-powered women and their complaints about how men are paid more. Mika didn't actually get to how this is changing every day or give concrete advice for how you move past what roadblocks you may face as a woman in the workplace. An unfortunate use of her visibility as a highly successful woman.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not reveal how to know your value, February 20, 2013
Knowing Your Value: by Mika Brzezinski is a self confession and personal growth story about how a now prominent MSNBC morning show host discovered, demanded, and won compensation more inline with that of her peers. The story is complimented by the personal value stories and insights of over a dozen other leaders.

Why You Should Not Buy This Book

I dislike Knowing Your Value for several reasons. First, the book lacks sufficient method for actually determining your personal worth to an organization. Its premise is that an individual’s value contribution should be based on the compensation of others in similar positions. The shortfall with this argument is that each unique individual contributes differently to the organization and so offers his/her own value proposition. Additionally, there is an underlying assumption that the comparison employees have accurately identified and won their value – a premise that is often not true. Second, the book maintains a foundational assumption that the author was treated differently because she is a woman. While this may or may not be true, the comparison employees identified were noted as contributing significantly greater intellectual and creative works to their organization; suggesting that they were rightfully compensated more. Brzezinski discounts the fact that men, minorities, and other classes of people may also be undervalued, for the reasons she presents, and that everyone should methodically seek to identify and demand their value from employers.

For its shortfalls in revealing how to calculate one’s personal value contribution and its faulted underlying logic and assumptions, I recommend you not purchase or invest time reading Knowing Your Value.

Alternative Recommendation

I believe it is highly important for an individual to know his/her value and to aggressively seek it. Identifying one’s worth is not a matter of simple comparison with others or a fight against perceived discrimination but rather a deliberate methodological evaluation of the value contribution of the individual to the organization followed by the positive assertion of that value to those who can correct any imbalance. Such a methodology is presented by Larry Myler, Chief Executive Officer of By Monday, in his book, Indispensable By Monday: Learn the Profit-Producing Behaviors that will Help Your Company and Yourself.

All the Best,
Nathan Ives
StrategyDriven Principal

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth its Weight, May 7, 2011
I wish I had read this book years ago having made a number of the mistakes Mika describes so well, along with their possible solutions. Some are very simple, though I've not read them before -- for example, negotiating a raise and/or your bonus before the following year's budget is in place. She uses her own very human story, weaving it throughout, to describe the gender inequities and challenges that face today's women in middle and top management and positions of power. Because she has access, her examples are drawn from the famous and well known in media, business, publishing, and government; but the stories have a much greater reach for all who participate in organizational life. I am giving it to my daughter who is part of a leadership team at work. It's my Mother's Day gift. I have been a great fan of Mika and Joe, which is saying something since I live in the Pacific time zone. This book will only enhance her reputation for honesty, hard work and uncommon sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for all, December 27, 2012
I have two daughters in college and this book has become a must read for them. I ordered this initially for myself, as I read the book, I realized that I want my girls to understand the journey a successful women such as Mika Brzezinski took to get where she is today. I want them to understand that life is about taking a stand and speaking up for what you want and Mika Brzezinski does a beautiful job. I would absolutely recommend this book to all!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift for my daughter., June 1, 2012
I am a Mika fan and have heard her talk about her book on Morning Joe and how women settle for less in their careers. My daughter is an amazing, capable, young woman who has a demanding job that she goes above and beyond for but isn't being compensated for her effort. She has been listening to the book on CD as she commutes to work and has found some inspiration and is putting out those resumes. I'm glad I got it for her and the timing was perfect.

2.0 out of 5 stars Best book trait - only a 2 hour read, June 5, 2011
Colleen Healy (Redmond, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This book was very simplistic and didn't offer much insights. In short, all it really said was (i) know your worth by being aware of market salaries, (ii) ask for what you are worth and frame the argument in terms that your employer cares about, and (iii) be prepared to leave for greener pastures if your employer won't pay you what you are worth. First few pages were the best but they turned out to be a teaser with little wood behind the arrow.

3.0 out of 5 stars Title misleading, but good tips for women seeking better pay in corporate America, July 20, 2011
When I first saw this audiobook, I only saw the title Knowing Your Value in gigantic, capitalized, bold letters. I didn't see the small letters of the subtitle: Women, Money, and Getting What You're Worth. I was misled into thinking that the audiobook was about knowing your value in general. So I must warn readers that this audiobook is not about that, it's about how women can ask for higher pay in corporate America.

Mika Brzezinski has done her homework. She's talked to major female players such as Tina Brown, Nora Ephron, Suze Orman and Arianna Huffington. She shares their advice along with her own. The main narrative is her own story of struggling for years in broadcast journalism until she landed her co-host position on the MSNBC hit show Morning Joe. Even after that milestone, she was still overworked and underpaid. As co-host she worked fulltime on the show, but the network still made her do other freelance assignments and nightly shifts, while knowing she was a working mother and paying the other male host fourteen times her salary.

Brzezinski shares informative facts and figures. For instance, women tend to think they're lucky when they get a break, ask for less pay (they make 77 cents for every dollar a man makes) and generally operate on emotion and approval (one woman told Brzezinski how she received a pair of nice earrings and plenty of praise for her hard work instead of a raise or promotion). Women also tend to do most of the housework, take care of the family and elders even if they are the breadwinner, and shy away from demanding what they want or need. Besides giving the lay of the land on the gender wage gap issue, Brzezinski gives concrete tips and strategies for how to ask for more pay. For instance, before requesting a raise, hand your boss a single page of all your accomplishments and research what others in your position are earning.

Though the audiobook is informative on a timely topic, it falls short on many fronts. Besides the misleading title, the writing is too simplistic and the same concepts are repeated as if the speaker had momentary amnesia and forgot what she just said. The biggest trouble I had with the audiobook was its reader, Coleen Marlo, who sounded robotic and contrived, similar to a voice on a commercial, nothing like the voice of the author. Ultimately, Marlo's voice didn't come across as sincere (perhaps because her voice and the author's are so different). Since this is Brzezinski's personal story, I found that glitch to be a serious problem. I'm not sure why the author didn't narrate her own book. Brzezinski qualifies as a professional speaker herself.

Still, despite the audiobook's flaws, Brzezinski's cause of equal pay and the gender wage gap is of utmost importance, and one that working women should flag. Such women will find value in the author's words. Perhaps they should opt for her book instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gag Gift, Hahaha, March 16, 2014
What trash, she knows as much of this subject as she does about politics - the "nut" does not fall from the tree . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Read, June 8, 2013
I enjoyed reading her journey of navigating through her career. I can related to ups and downs Mika experienced and it is gratifying to know that I am not alone. The key is to learn of my mistakes to I can thrive in the future. It was great that you were able to interview other successful women, to share their perspective. Thank you for writing this book.

Knowing Your Value: Women, Money, and Getting What You're Worth
Knowing Your Value: Women, Money, and Getting What You're Worth by Mika Brzezinski (Paperback - April 3, 2012)
$15.00 $6.00