Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Jump Start Typing
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on January 18, 2011
I home schooled my daughter during her 3rd Grade year. She was 9yrs. old learning the majority of her lessons on the computer. We purchased Jump Start Typing for her mainly so she could become more familiar with the keyboard. She not only became familiar with the keyboard, she learned to type fluently, efficiently, and it also increased her spelling skills. By the time she was in 7th grade (the year public school teaches typing) she mastered her typing skills into 120-130wpm. I attribute her mastery in typing to the fantastic lessons from Jump Start Typing software. I highly recommend this software and/or any of the Jump Start software available. Knowing how to type at an early age enables kids to learn the lesson at hand instead of struggling with the typing of an assignment. A lesson learned is possible when a child's typing skill allows him/her the chance to learn freely. Finding keys on a keyboard to type an assignment means the child's concentration isn't on the lesson.
We purchased this one for our niece when she was in 3rd grade. GET YOUR CHILD TYPING EARLY!!!! GET JUMP START TYPING!!!!!
on May 3, 2009
I bought this for my 6-yr old after picking up an old version at a garage sale that would not save his scores on Windows XP. He likes it, and begs to practice his typing that has improved fairly quickly. I tried it a bit in training mode to do exercises as I don't quite touch type and liked how it shows which finger to use to type the next letter so you don't have to look at the keyboard.

Note this was written back when screens were 640x480 and barely updated since. the window is still stuck at that size, and it will not run if the CD is not in the drive, even if you copy the whole CD to your hard drive and install from there. When this was advertised as the XP/Vista version I hoped it would have lost these limitations.
on June 3, 2013
First of all, let me start by saying that we are members of the jumpstart website which offers great education games. The graphics are amazing on this website. This game however, was written a while ago and the graphics are very "old school." My eight year old will practice her typing but only if prompted because she just isn't into it as much as she is on the website. Too bad the website doesn't offer typing! This game encourages proper hand placement and basic keyboarding skills but the games are a bit repetitive and the reward levels don't offer much incentives.
on January 23, 2013
My seven-year-old son says Jump Start Typing isn't as much fun as Pokemonon his Nintendo DS, but, really, what is? With a bit of encourgement he does practice typing for 10 - 20 minutes a day. I'm seeing progress, although it is still early.

The designers understand both kids and typing. They have exercises where he can practice only home-row keys, one at a time, and then gradually move to more complicated exercises that use more letters and have them in combinations rather than individually. Since the exercises are all games, they hold his attention longer than smple practice would.

The graphics seem to have been designed for old computers and not updated. They're not bad, but they don't fill the screen. There's a rectangle in the middle where the picture is, with a big dark rim around it. I'd prefer to have it updated to use modern monitors.

For the price, it is a good deal. Fancier graphics would probably cost more money.
on February 24, 2014
As the title reads it is not compatible with modern hardware. I have ran this program on 2 different computers with all different hardware. My Win XP Proff machine and my Win Vista machine. Both yield random crashing and yes I know to run as admin and I've tried so many other things.

Despite the alleged copyright date being 2007 I sincerely doubt this Program was developed anytime after the turn of the century. The fact that the system requirements are a 266Mhz processor which dates back to the days of the original Pentium 1 processor as well as 3DFX Graphics cards, leads me to believe that the label is lying about it's original release date or this is simply a rehash program that stemmed off something older itself.

Either way I would not waste your time with this.
on February 22, 2015
My ten-year old hated this program. The games were extremely juvenile and very boring. . . maybe would have been kind of fun at school in 1986 because it looked like something someone designed in 1986. I had to FORCE my millennial child to play this. I tried it a couple days in and realized it is actually really really bad. Additionally, the cd never really went over where to put your fingers. My son was still two finger typing. The whole point of purchasing this thing was to teach him to type. Now I am out $9 and my son is now very resistant to learning to type because he associates it with this horrible cd. I'd say we're worse off then before I purchased it.
on February 19, 2011
My little guy is only 6 and most typing programs out there were just too advanced for him. Now he loves this one. Easy to use and he is learning tons from it.
on September 20, 2014
Does not work with Windows 8, at least on my computer. Won't install or come up. More troubling, is that the customer service is 100% nonexistent. The website has no relevant information. I have called repeatedly over three weeks, and the voice mail system doesn't even work properly. I've emailed, and nobody has responded. After much effort I've spoken to people in the one department I can get to even answer the phone is the education department, but they can't help me. They have taken my information but nobody has gotten back to me. I am very disenchanted with this company, needless to say, and don't recommend that anyone purchase their products if you have any hope of any support whatsoever.
on February 27, 2014
This CD typing game is just like the old one :) I'm so glad that the company made one compatible to the computer systems of this time period. I used to play this CD when I was around 9. Now my 6 and 7 yr old brother and sister plays it too :) we even found the old one! The newer one has a different opening screen and starts up a little faster. But, everything else is the same! For first timers, don't fret about the first timed test. It is actually better to type a little slower so that the goals are not set so high that your child/you is/are unable to achieve them.
on February 22, 2014
I purchased for my daughter, and as a beginning typer I thought that this would work well for her. It might if she enjoyed playing it. I guess I was thinking of the old programs we used as youngsters in keyboarding class and this just isn't it. For older kids it may but for the younger age group I wouldn't recommend