Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on November 17, 2007
This is the only computer software my now almost 3 year old daughter has been able to thoroughly enjoy for the past year and a half. I had tried other software that was geared for older children (preschool or kindergarten) and they were way out of her range. So, on a whim, I picked up this title at toys r us while shopping for other items. My version is actually "Jumpstart Advanced Preschool" for ages 1 1/2 to 4 years. It consists of 4 CDs, one of which is "Jumpstart Toddler". This CD is affectionately known in our house as "Tickle Duckie" since that's what my daughter has grown to call "Dedee" the duck who is the star of most of the games. I credit this software to teaching my daughter her shapes, colors, and alphabet all at an early age... she had loads of fun playing all these games. She is now, at almost 3 years, just starting to grow out of these games. I just installed the "Jumpstart Preschool Fundamentals" CD on my pc and will see how she does with that now, but I'm sure "Tickle Duckie" will still be a favorite of hers.
on July 15, 2009
This is not bad software, but it is old and out of date which is reflected in the quality of the graphics, sound, and animation. It's still a viable set of activities for toddlers, but there are better ones. For example, the fisher-price.com website has a free "ABC Zoo" with better graphics and sound than the one on this CD. The same is true for the musical instrument activity. Besides that, it is short on activities overall compared to the latest Reader Rabbit Toddler. Adventure Workshop Toddler, which includes Reader Rabbit and 3 other CD's has several dozen more activities, all with superior sound and graphics. For the value offered, Jump Start would be a good deal at $3.
on November 6, 2006
This is by far the best computer game that I have found for toddlers. It practices colors, shapes, letters, numbers, mouse control, and new words. The writers of this game really understood how a toddler uses the computer. The game makes every button on the keyboard a good button to push. Something always will happen! This games was written before the "start" keyboard button, so that will still bring up the start menu in Windows. All other buttons have their functions changed to fit the game. Even the ESC key is good!

It is also good that games can use either mouse or keyboard (except one game about mouse control). The buttons will cause all of the fun things to happen as well as clicking on the picture.

Highly recommended! My toddler enjoyed it from about 17 months.
on January 1, 2008
I purchased this game for my son as a Christmas gift! He will be 2 in a few months and really has a lot of fun playing it. The games are easy enough that if you you can move a mouse you can play most of them. The skill level does vary so, I am sure that as his skills improve he will be able to play more of the games. Over all a GREAT product!!!!
on October 14, 2008
This is some of the best $$$ I've ever spent. My child has spent hours in front of the computer with this. I've gotten so much accomplished around the house while he's learned all his letters, his numbers, phonics, and more. There are a couple games that he needs the mouse for, but even before he was ready for the mouse, he could play the games and entertain himself with the keyboard. It has also taught him how to use a computer...gently! This is one of our favorite things!
on July 5, 2011
My daughter is 22 months old and already has Windows 7 figured out. She can log out of her mommy's user and log into her own limited account or put the computer to sleep when we tell her, "Let's take a break from the computer." She can switch between programs she likes effortlessly (e.g., Windows 7's Purble Place and Microsoft Word). She loves the PBS Kids web site and knows how to pause and full screen (and, unfortunately, un-full screen) Dora and Sesame Street on Netflix Watch-Instantly.

But she cannot get a handle on this program and it both bores and frustrates her. The "loading" animations are long and the UI is terrible. What you can click on is completely unclear--even I had no idea what was actually interactive and what wasn't without some experimentation. (Think mid-'90s adventure games.)

While it runs fine on Windows 7, it was a pain in the butt for me to make it full-screen (with its paltry 640x480 resolution)--I had to use my nVidia Control Panel to force it into full screen. Before that, it was a small window surrounded by blackness that took up only 15% of my screen (640x480 on a 1920x1080 monitor).

Frustratingly, there's a coloring section that has an abominably stupid feature: a giant print button. Yeah, because I want my toddler to choose when to use printer ink and paper. What where they thinking?!

There are some decent ideas here, but they were very poorly implemented. More than anything, the interactive parts of the program need discrete, well-defined buttons. As it is, the "play a song" button is the only thing that is (and, consequently, it's the only part my daughter knew for sure to click on). I had hoped to find something more toddler-friendly than Windows 7's Purble Place (which she likes but doesn't really "get"). Instead, I've got something which my daughter may grow into at some point (despite the ages for this being listed as 18-36 months) but which may turn out to be completely useless.

The only thing this program taught my daughter was that the calculator button on my wife's keyboard would allow her to essentially ALT+TAB out of this program so she could go back to doing something more interesting.

EDIT: I've uploaded a picture of the home screen to the images gallery so you can see what I'm referring to.
review image
on April 26, 2005
This software is used in a self contained classroom with Autistic students. They all love this software and I need another copy of it.
on December 20, 2011
i got this for my daughters second birthday. She loves it but still has problems using the mouse, but we are working with that. Overall i would recommend to anyone wanting to start their toddlers out on the computer. it is fun.
on October 6, 2013
This is a Christmas gift for my 2 1/2 yr old gndson so we havn't used it yet but it came clean & scratch free so I'm sure it'll be great & he'll love it. We used a lot of Jump Start cd's for my older gndson, who is now 20, & loved them. We didn't have this one because I don't think they were out yet when he was little so I ordered this one & hope the 2 yr old can sit still long enough to enjoy it.
on December 4, 2013
Teaches simple concepts, easy to use for toddlers. It is very colorful and attractive and keeps them interested. I use it in a classroom for special needs children, some with behavioral difficulties and they stay focused and calm and even willing to take turns with a friend without a fuss. The music is beautiful at the "waterfall".