5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Software!
Published on November 17, 2007 by Allie's Mommy

3.0 out of 5 stars basic, out of date
Published on July 15, 2009 by Ben

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Software!, November 17, 2007
This is the only computer software my now almost 3 year old daughter has been able to thoroughly enjoy for the past year and a half. I had tried other software that was geared for older children (preschool or kindergarten) and they were way out of her range. So, on a whim, I picked up this title at toys r us while shopping for other items. My version is actually "Jumpstart Advanced Preschool" for ages 1 1/2 to 4 years. It consists of 4 CDs, one of which is "Jumpstart Toddler". This CD is affectionately known in our house as "Tickle Duckie" since that's what my daughter has grown to call "Dedee" the duck who is the star of most of the games. I credit this software to teaching my daughter her shapes, colors, and alphabet all at an early age... she had loads of fun playing all these games. She is now, at almost 3 years, just starting to grow out of these games. I just installed the "Jumpstart Preschool Fundamentals" CD on my pc and will see how she does with that now, but I'm sure "Tickle Duckie" will still be a favorite of hers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best toddler computer game!, November 6, 2006
This is by far the best computer game that I have found for toddlers. It practices colors, shapes, letters, numbers, mouse control, and new words. The writers of this game really understood how a toddler uses the computer. The game makes every button on the keyboard a good button to push. Something always will happen! This games was written before the "start" keyboard button, so that will still bring up the start menu in Windows. All other buttons have their functions changed to fit the game. Even the ESC key is good!

It is also good that games can use either mouse or keyboard (except one game about mouse control). The buttons will cause all of the fun things to happen as well as clicking on the picture.

Highly recommended! My toddler enjoyed it from about 17 months.

3.0 out of 5 stars basic, out of date, July 15, 2009
This review is from: JumpStart Toddler (Video Game)
This is not bad software, but it is old and out of date which is reflected in the quality of the graphics, sound, and animation. It's still a viable set of activities for toddlers, but there are better ones. For example, the fisher-price.com website has a free "ABC Zoo" with better graphics and sound than the one on this CD. The same is true for the musical instrument activity. Besides that, it is short on activities overall compared to the latest Reader Rabbit Toddler. Adventure Workshop Toddler, which includes Reader Rabbit and 3 other CD's has several dozen more activities, all with superior sound and graphics. For the value offered, Jump Start would be a good deal at $3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game for Toddlers!, January 1, 2008
This review is from: JumpStart Toddler (Video Game)
I purchased this game for my son as a Christmas gift! He will be 2 in a few months and really has a lot of fun playing it. The games are easy enough that if you you can move a mouse you can play most of them. The skill level does vary so, I am sure that as his skills improve he will be able to play more of the games. Over all a GREAT product!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS, October 14, 2008
BK (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JumpStart Toddler (Video Game)
This is some of the best $$$ I've ever spent. My child has spent hours in front of the computer with this. I've gotten so much accomplished around the house while he's learned all his letters, his numbers, phonics, and more. There are a couple games that he needs the mouse for, but even before he was ready for the mouse, he could play the games and entertain himself with the keyboard. It has also taught him how to use a computer...gently! This is one of our favorite things!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jumpstart in the Classroom, April 26, 2005
This software is used in a self contained classroom with Autistic students. They all love this software and I need another copy of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Try Keeping your 2-3 year old away from this!, December 22, 2008
This review is from: JumpStart Toddler (Video Game)
I've watched both of my Grandaughters start with this software, and they just love it. Both were two years when they started using it, and in a matter of weeks we could let them alone and just watch the improvements in both. Hand-eye with the mouse, recognition of the animals, and the areas they loved the most. I've bought it for all our grand kids, and recommend it very much.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jump starting them to love learning, April 1, 2010
This review is from: JumpStart Toddler (Video Game)
This cd has a lot of repetition, I personally think it has too much music to it, everything is connected to a song of some type. My 2 and 4 yr old love it. They have learned quite a bit from the cd. My 2 yr old more so in regards to recognizing his ABC's and numbers, and the 4 yr old on revisiting it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth it, April 3, 2009
This review is from: JumpStart Toddler (Video Game)
My daughter (2 yrs, 3 months old) LOVES this program. We have an old laptop we allow her to bang on. She has learned to use the mouse quite accurately in the month or so that we've had this program installed. She can't yet click the mouse button but most of this program only requires hovering over certain areas so that isn't an issue. We just need to buy her a (very small) laptop mouse instead of the big clunky one we have attached.
She sings along with singing and has started counting, learning her ABC's, colors, all the things I should have been teaching her but never seem to have the patience or time for. It's the amount of progress she's made in the one month we've had it that just really amazes us. So far she's not gotten bored with the program even though she plays with it a LOT.
I would have bought this much sooner if I'd known about it. My husband's coworker was raving about it and he told me so I thought I'd give it a try.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, July 5, 2011
RobertM525 (Portland, Oregon, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JumpStart Toddler (Video Game)
My daughter is 22 months old and already has Windows 7 figured out. She can log out of her mommy's user and log into her own limited account or put the computer to sleep when we tell her, "Let's take a break from the computer." She can switch between programs she likes effortlessly (e.g., Windows 7's Purble Place and Microsoft Word). She loves the PBS Kids web site and knows how to pause and full screen (and, unfortunately, un-full screen) Dora and Sesame Street on Netflix Watch-Instantly.

But she cannot get a handle on this program and it both bores and frustrates her. The "loading" animations are long and the UI is terrible. What you can click on is completely unclear--even I had no idea what was actually interactive and what wasn't without some experimentation. (Think mid-'90s adventure games.)

While it runs fine on Windows 7, it was a pain in the butt for me to make it full-screen (with its paltry 640x480 resolution)--I had to use my nVidia Control Panel to force it into full screen. Before that, it was a small window surrounded by blackness that took up only 15% of my screen (640x480 on a 1920x1080 monitor).

Frustratingly, there's a coloring section that has an abominably stupid feature: a giant print button. Yeah, because I want my toddler to choose when to use printer ink and paper. What where they thinking?!

There are some decent ideas here, but they were very poorly implemented. More than anything, the interactive parts of the program need discrete, well-defined buttons. As it is, the "play a song" button is the only thing that is (and, consequently, it's the only part my daughter knew for sure to click on). I had hoped to find something more toddler-friendly than Windows 7's Purble Place (which she likes but doesn't really "get"). Instead, I've got something which my daughter may grow into at some point (despite the ages for this being listed as 18-36 months) but which may turn out to be completely useless.

The only thing this program taught my daughter was that the calculator button on my wife's keyboard would allow her to essentially ALT+TAB out of this program so she could go back to doing something more interesting.

EDIT: I've uploaded a picture of the home screen to the images gallery so you can see what I'm referring to.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

JumpStart Toddler
JumpStart Toddler by Knowledge Adventure (Windows 2000 / 98 / Me / XP)
$9.99