5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive - Pros and Cons of the Lights Included in Review
Most of my running takes place early morning or early evening as Fall and Winter has rolled about and that means almost all my running is in the dark. My route also doesn't take me on any lit paths so I picked up the Knuckle Lights to help avoid obstacles. So far I am very impressed and happy with my purchase.
**Great Fit: They come in one size fits all via a nice...
Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Started out good - not sure now.
I've been using these for a couple of months now for late night and early morning runs.

Strengths:
1) They are nice and bright - good light output.
2) Fit in the hand very well. Very comfortable to use.

Weaknesses:
Published on December 10, 2012 by RapidEye

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive - Pros and Cons of the Lights Included in Review, December 26, 2014
This review is from: Knuckle Lights (Misc.)
**Great Fit: They come in one size fits all via a nice adjustable strap. This adjustability is great because it means I can wear with gloves as the early mornings and evens get colder. Without gloves they are still very comfortable thanks to the padded area on your knuckles.
**Lightweight and Unobstructed: You barely even notice you have them on due to their lightweight build and being located on your hands. Before getting the Knuckles I was using a headlamp light which not lightweight and very obstructive, often falling down or sliding up and nearly off regularly.
**Bright: Believe it or not these do a great job of casting light all around you. Beam is wide so you don't have to point in the right direction or readjust them. The light follows your natural motion. So even though your arms are moving, it still lights the path in front of you.
**Operation: The Knuckle Lights offer three settings, "high beam", "low beam" and "flashing". Switching between the settings is super easy thanks to the button switch you can operate with your thumb. While some have complained about having to cycle through (each click of the button changes to a new setting) to turn the lights off, I prefer the button over a sliding switch or something similar. This location of the button also allows you to change settings or switch them off without having to remove them, a bonus so you're not blinding yourself trying to take them off to turn them off.

PS: Also be sure to check out the ILLUMISEEN LED Belt I purchased a few weeks ago. Along with the Knuckle Lights, they're a perfect combo to see and also be seen! Plus/plus!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, August 25, 2012
This review is from: Knuckle Lights (Misc.)
I run wooded trails with my running buddy and our dogs in the predawn hours. It is dark beyond dark most mornings. These lights are great for the conditions. They are comfortable and lightweight and do not interfere with grabbing the dogs' leash if I need to (I use a hands free leash attached to my waist) or making other adjustments to clothing, etc. I am very particular about comfort on my long runs, which is why I can't use a head lamp, and these lights do not bother me at all.

They are brighter than I expected, and in a way that is perfect for running. My buddy and I use 1 each; while they are sold in 2 packs, 1 is bright enough to light a path. The beam is very wide which keeps the path illuminated even with arm swing. The wide beam also prevents any jittery light beams like running with a flashlight would cause. It lights up about 10 feet of path in front of me and it's about that wide as well. It is not a flashlight so if you are looking for something that will shine a light 30ft of ahead of you, these will not do it.

The switch to operate the lights is positioned so you can easily use your thumb to go through the three settings, allowing for one-handed operation. They are small and light enough that when it does get light I can put them in the outer pockets of my Asics 55 running shorts and barely notice that they are there.

For a serious running light this is the best design I have seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars These are great., April 9, 2013
This review is from: Knuckle Lights (Misc.)
Super bright. My only complaint is that they make my hands sweat, but otherwise I love them. As a female runner I would recommend to the other girls out there not to get these in a girlie color for safety reasons...the color lights up when they are on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Started out good - not sure now., December 10, 2012
RapidEye (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knuckle Lights (Misc.)

Strengths:
1) They are nice and bright - good light output.
2) Fit in the hand very well. Very comfortable to use.

Weaknesses:
1) Sensitive to cold temps - as is common with LED lamps, they are very sensitive to low voltage. On cold mornings, the voltage on AAA batteries drops off and the lights stop working. Its happened to me twice now, fortunately on mornings when it wasn't pitch black dark. I need to fiddle with some different brands of batteries, but it has happened on ones that were fresh out of the pack.
2) The plastic cinch clasp. I was dubious about the clasp when I saw it, but up until this morning, it seemed to work fine. But while I was adjusting the strap length this morning, the clasp fell apart and I was left searching under my truck, in the dark, for small black plastic parts. I was able to find them and reassemble the clasp, but its a pretty weak design and I'd be surprised if it holds up long term.
3) The "Multi brightness" mode. At first, I thought it was a good idea. In practice, not so much. I want a flashlight to be nice and bright - I've never once used the lower power light setting. And the flashing one seems like a good idea - a better way to catch the eye of on coming drivers. But when you are running, your hands bob up and down anyway and even when they are set to steady brightness, they still "flash" to on coming drivers. So what seems like a strength at first is actually a weakness because now you have to cycle the button 3 times to turn it off, instead of just once.

4.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME light; Possibly poor choice of color, September 23, 2014
This review is from: Knuckle Lights (Misc.)
So far so good, but we haven't hit low temps like some of the other reviewers have mentioned. I only wish that the flappy, excess part of the strap was running *down* my hand instead of up where it moves around and kind of annoys me. When I get a chance, I may take the strap apart and reverse it. Also, in retrospect, I wish I had gone with silver; pink seems an unfortunate choice. I've nicknamed my light (I split the pair with my early AM running buddy) "Aggie," which is short for "angry v@gina" - what my cousin said it looked like (language she stole from something Joan Rivers had said on Fashion Police!).

UPDATE: I received a personal email from Kunkle Lights' founder after he read this review - which I thought was super nice. He assured me that they fixed the problem with low temps in their production, so it won't be a problem. He advised me of how to (very simply - DUH, me.) fix the strap to my liking. AND he took my angry v@gina comment in stride! :) I love that!

2.0 out of 5 stars Left in the Dark, January 18, 2013
This review is from: Knuckle Lights (Misc.)
I was excited to try the Knuckle Lights since the head light gives me a slight headache and slips when not tightly fitted. When the weather was somewhat warm the knuckle lights were great, but as soon as the temperature hit around the 30 degree mark the lights dimmed as soon as I turned them on and eventually turned off (within a half mile of run), which left me in total darkness along the trails I run. I began running with one knuckle light on and the other in my pocket to keep warm until the one in use turned off - I then used the other until that light turned off and so on. End of story, I am back to wearing my head light, which uses the same type batteries.

3.0 out of 5 stars Early morning running in trails, October 24, 2012
This review is from: Knuckle Lights (Misc.)
I run in early a.m. right before dawn. Although I like the concept of wearing lights on knuckles or wrists, I feel the lighting is too dim and not wide enough of coverage. I've been using them but feel like I have to keep my arms still for direct lighting which is difficult and unnatural and still not bright enough. In the fall, with the leaves on the ground, I need more serious lighting. Not worth the money for my purposes. Moreso, for walking a dog or minor outdoor activity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for walks and runs, October 27, 2013
This review is from: Knuckle Lights (Misc.)
I love these lights. They are bright, easy to wear, and are so helpful for walking or running at night. My only complaint is that they eat batteries very quickly. I went through a set of batteries after about 10 days, having used them for about an hour every day or two.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for BEING seen, not so good for SEEING, May 31, 2013
This review is from: Knuckle Lights (Misc.)
I tried these out of curiosity...but think I will stick to my Black Diamond Icon Headlamp for these reasons:

1. I need my hands free for handheld water bottles during long runs in hot weather, and for deploying the tear gas spray that I carry in my waistpack for aggressive dogs.

2. When running in the dark I need a STEADY field of light in order to avoid potholes, debris, etc. on streets and rocks, roots, fallen branches etc. on the trails...ain't gonna get it from these unless I plan on running with both hands stock still the whole time, lol.

3. My Black Diamond headlight has a rechargeable lithium battery that is impervious to freezing and subfreezing temps---unlike the alkaline batteries that these knuckle lights take.

These knuckle lights would be ok for a walker, I suppose. For a runner, not so much...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Light, Needs a Better On/Off Switch., December 3, 2013
This review is from: Knuckle Lights (Misc.)
I run early in the morning and like to see where I'm stepping as well as be seen by cars but am not crazy about headlamps or carrying a flashlight. There strap on the your hand so you don't have to grip them like a flashlight. The natural running position of your hand puts them in the perfect position to illuminate the area ahead of you so you don't have to hold your hands in a weird postion. You really forget you even have them on after a short distance.

I would rate them higher except there seems to be an issue with the on/off switch. I'm on my 3rd pair in less than 2 years because the switch has quit working on them. I sweat a LOT when I run and it might be that the excess moisture running down to my hands gets in the lights and eventually shorts out the switch. That's just a guess but all I know for sure is after 4-5 months the switch on all 3 pairs I've purchased have gone out. I bought my original pair directly from the manufacturor. I contacted the company and they sent me a new pair at no charge (they were VERY easy to work with. Great customer service). The 2nd pair lasted about the same amount of time and the switch failed again. I felt a little embarrased asking for an ANOTHER pair so I just purchased the 3rd pair on Amazon this last September. It is now December and on/off switch is starting to fail on one of the units. That puts me down to a single knuckle light and it looks like I'm going to have to either 1) buy ANOTHER pair or 2) contact the company again and see if they would like to send me another pair.

UPDATE - I am upgrading my review. I have always loved the design and function of these lights and was very impressed with the customer service. The only reason I didn't rate them a "5" was I had several pairs in a row that developed problems over time with the on/off switch. I just contacted the company about the issue with the latest pair. They responded immediately to discuss the issue. They gave some details about recent improvements they'd made to the design to possibly help on/off switch issues. They also offered to send me a new pair at no charge and are paying to have me send the current pair back so they can tear them apart to find out if they need to make additional design changes. As mentioned in my initial review, I sweat a lot when running and suspected that some of the switch issues may have been caused by an excessive amount of moisture running down my arms, to my hands, and in to the lights. They aren't intended nor advertized to be waterproof. So I'm upping my review because 1) the discussed design improvements seem like they will reasonably address some of my issues, 2) the company demonstrated a real willingness to improve a product that is already really good, and 3) their customer service is the best I've seen anywhere. I've dealt with them twice now. They reply almost immediately and bend over backwards to make things right if there's a problem. Several people in my running group used my Knuckle Lights, loved them, and have since started using them. I'm the only one that ever had a problem with the on/off switch in my group so I'm thinking maybe it was the excess sweat causing the issue and the latest improvements look like they may really help that. Even though I don't have the new set yet I can't help upping the review based on the outstanding customer service, great functionality of the product, and design improvements on the new models.

Knuckle Lights