5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!
This is about a Koala named Koala Lou who thinks her mother does not love her anymore. So Koala Lou goes gum-tree climbing in the Bush Olympics to get her mother's attention. This book taught me that no matter what you do, your mother will always love you!
Published on November 28, 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh
Overly sappy and sweet... and why did it take the koala doing a whole big THING to make her mom say she loved her?
Published on July 12, 2010 by Ulyyf

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, November 28, 2001
This review is from: Koala Lou (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars 1st Graders think this is the best book in our class!, November 28, 2001
This review is from: Koala Lou (Paperback)
Koala Lou entered the Bush Olympics Gum Tree Climbing event because her mother stopped saying, "Koala Lou, I do love you." Koala Lou won 2nd place and thought her mother wouldn't love her anymore. However, her mom said she would always love her no matter what.
Almost all the students in our 1st grade class loved this book! We learned that our parents love us no matter what.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story..., November 19, 2003
C.S. (Cleveland, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Koala Lou (Paperback)
I know a childrens book shouldn't make you cry, but I was actually crying in the end! What a wonderful, wonderful story, and beautiful ending! Lovely story about hard work to obtain a goal, but also that our children don't have to do ANYTHING to earn our love - we love them no matter what. Highly recommend this little book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Koala Lou is a 5 stars story, September 28, 2004
This review is from: Koala Lou (Paperback)
Koala Lou is about a young Koala by the name of Koala Lou whose mother gave birth to many other Koalas. Koala Lou could not help but get jealous that her mother was not paying a lot of attention to her. One day Koala Lou got news of an upcoming race. Koala Lou signed up for the race and started training right away. Koala Lou trained from morning to night every day and was confident she could win. It was finally the day of the race and Koala Lou was so thrilled to see her brothers and sister's but most importantly her mother in the first row. She was so confident that she could go home with a blue ribbon. However when the best koala racer came to the starting line Koala Lou didn't feel so confident. She worked so hard during the race but did not finish fast enough. Koala Lou raced home in tears but then her mom came home and gave her a kiss and a hug witch was better then any prize! Koala Lou's mother said "Koala Lou I do love you."

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that parents and their children will love!, August 22, 2001
This review is from: Koala Lou (Hardcover)
After hearing this story read to my daughters kindergarten class I knew that we had to have it. My daughters and I read the book at least once a week and have given it as gifts to many friends. The book expresses so much love that a parent gives to a child and reminds us not to forget to express our love verbally.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to prepare children for the birth of a younger sibling!, April 19, 2006
This review is from: Koala Lou (Paperback)
Have you ever felt like your parents loved your brothers and sisters more than they loved you? Did Dad spoil your siblings, but not you? Did mom spend more time with them than with you? If so, you're not alone.

"Koala Lou" is the story of a young koala by the same name. Everyday her mother looks at her and says, "Koala Lou, I DO love you!" However, after Koala Lou's mother gave birth to other koalas, she became too busy to express her feelings for her oldest child. Thus, Koala Lou joins the Bush Olympics, hoping to not only win first place, but her mother's affections as well.

Like others who are not the only child in the family, Koala Lou's feelings mirrored my own. Before my baby brother was born, I was the center of attention. My parents always attended to my every need, whether it was something as basic as food or something as random as my sudden impulses to go to the park and play on the swings. My parents provided me with whatever I wanted. But most importantly, they paid a lot of attention to me. Yes, I was a spoiled little girl. That all changed when my baby brother was born. At first, I felt happy and excited about having a new family member. He was so cute with his chubby cheeks and tiny toes. How could I not love him? But then I realized that he was stealing the limelight away from me. No longer did relatives come over to tell me how adorable I was wearing my dress and bow in my hair. Instead, they lavished their attention on my brother. It didn't take long for me to feel left out as my parents followed suit and made my little brother the center of their world. Or at least it seemed that way. Now that I am older, I know that they were merely trying to raise him like they had raised me- providing him whatever he needed no matter what. They did not mean to make me feel neglected, and although my parents may not say it out loud, I know that deep down, their hearts scream "Lisa, I DO love you!"

This is the perfect book for a child who may feel alienated by the birth of a baby brother or sister. The child can relate the story to his/her own life. He/She may feel better knowing that there are others who feel the same way when there is a new addition to the family. Additionally, it will help the child understand that mom and dad have, and always will, love him/her no matter what happens, even if they may not always express their love for him/her out loud. It might also serve as a meaningful reminder to parents that they should always let their children know how much they care about them from time to time.

If you are a fan of Fox's other works, this is definitely a must-have! As with one of her earlier works, "Time for Bed", this book also depicts the close relationship between the mother and child through its storyline and beautiful illustrations. Some of her books, including this one, are also known for teaching valuable lessons. While Fox's "Whoever You Are" teaches children to accept those who may seem different from them, "Koala Lou" shows a child that parents will always love their children, although they may not always say it.

Two thumbs up to Mem Fox for another job well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars We first graders at Peirce in Newton, Ma. LOVE Mem Fox!!, December 12, 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Koala Lou (Paperback)
Miss Rosengard's first graders at Peirce School in Newton, Massachusetts, LOVE all of Mem Fox's books. This is our very favorite!! We always tell each other, "I love you, I really DO!!" We also accept being in second place. We wish Mem Fox could visit us!!

5.0 out of 5 stars placid and sweet, October 3, 2006
This review is from: Koala Lou (Paperback)
This is a lovely book for young readers, not only because the story and pictures are sweet, simple, and engaging, but because it is important that children feel loved and not mistake fewer reassurances from the mother for lack of affection. This is an especially great book for children who are about to lose that valued only-child status--Lou's feelings are common among children with new siblings. It is not challenging or particularly rousing as far as stories go, but then I do not think that is its intent. It creates a warm sense of comfort and peace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Koala Lou is a 5 stars story, September 28, 2004

-Eunace B. 9-28-04

4.0 out of 5 stars koala lou, June 28, 2006
This review is from: Koala Lou (Paperback)
This story is of a little koala. The littie koala thinks that her mom does not like her. She thinks that because her mother got three koala baby. I like this story because I learned that if you mom you still love all your kids. I will recommend to others so they can learn a lesson.

Koala Lou
Koala Lou by Mem Fox (Paperback - February 28, 1994)
$7.00 $6.30