4.0 out of 5 stars Big Screen, small price, mediocre performance with issues
Worth the price ... with caveats.

Published 18 months ago by J. Reid

3.0 out of 5 stars pluses and minuses
plus:

this device has literally almost twice the physical screen size as an ipad.
it is cheap at under $300...
but it feels really well made
the screen is IPS
the power adapter is nicely small.
using an ARM, it runs cooler and fanless.
it does work!

minus:

the resolution is too low at 1280x800. I thought some...
Published 16 months ago by I. welch

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Screen, small price, mediocre performance with issues, April 25, 2013
This review is from: Kocaso M1400 13-Inch 8GB Tablet (Personal Computers)
Worth the price ... with caveats.

The key feature for me was the 13.3" screen. I needed something to better read magazines and large format documents. I know the screen has one of the lowest pixel densities (about 117ppi), but the 13.3" screen is no worse than many standard laptop screens, and indeed is the perfect size for reading magazines in a PDF form. Switching orientation is quick and smooth.

The screen is big, so the battery drain will be great. I found the the battery lasted over 7.5 hours looping video (I did and overnight test on a low brightness, wifi off) and I was very happy with that. Reading magazines though it was much shorter, around 5 hours, which I found strange. Perhaps I left the wifi or BT one, I am not sure - or I played one too many AngryBirds. In any case, the 10,000mA battery is sufficient though not outstanding by any measure. The battery lasts at least 2 days if you do not use the browser much and only allow it to fetch email, and occasionally red it. Compared to my original Samsung Galaxy Tab (the granddadddy of 7" form factor) it beat it hands down.

This sports a RockChip RK3066, dual core, clocked at 1.6. After research (and my own Anatutu test) I found that it outperformed the Tegra 3. Now, this doesn't mean the tablet outperforms other Tegra3 tablets, and I don't think it does, but on many tasks it works sufficiently and it is nice to know that they upped the power of this cheap tablet. I am having moments of freeze screen though which I have not yet solved. (Perhaps a rouge app I loaded)

The App memory is 1GB, with an additional 8GB onboard for data & media. You can also move some apps onto this memory if you run thin on the 1GB. Then there is the miniSD slot for additional data space.

The build quality of the tablet is very good. There is very little flex in the unit, with well built edges. The 2 USB ports do indeed work with keyboards, mice, and thumbdrives. You do need to use the included adaptor (USB On The Go "OTG") to plug things in of course. I only got 1 USB port to work with memory, and both to work with other devices. Using a mouse on a tablet is a bit odd, but it does provide precision when needed. It even had enough juice in the USB port to power an attached keyboard with backlit keys. You can trickle charge the device using a USB port (cable not included).

The SD slot is a good tight fit, and memory cards are read without issue (I tested up to 32GB). The headphone jack provides no surprises and the power jack is a mini DC connection for a quicker charge. There is a microHDMI jack which mirrors the device display. None of these jacks has any covers.

The wifi connects without issue (though it does drop when the screen is off - fixed below) and speeds are fast. I stream using PLEX and videos render great. The speeds on this are twice that of my Galaxy Tab.

This is a pure Android homescreen experience, with no extra clutter or skins added. Full Play Store access and Google sync.

The installed Browser seems to freeze up often. I am not sure what is causing this yet, and it may be an app I added. But all apps are from the Play store, so this may be a mystery. The included browser appears to be a renamed Google Chrome.

I could only get 1 usb port to read memory, but that isn't a real issue for me. If you needed this to transfer files between thumb drives, it could be though.

The screen pixel density is low, so depending on what you need this for, you may have better luck with a smaller tablet that has a higher resolution.

This thing is HEAVY. It weighs (my scale) 2.7 pounds. Nearly as much as my ultra book. For an additional cost, I might consider instead a 13" ultra book that flips into a tablet since they weigh about the same.

The built in Stereo speakers, though big slots, have a very weak tinny sound. I don't expect much from a tablets speakers, but my Razr Maxx HD phone is nearly twice the volume with more bass. I am very dissappointed in the sound.

The WiFi shuts off every time the screen goes off. I changed the sleep, timeout and "always on" settings to no avail. I heard this affects some Jellybean devices and found an app that locks the wifi on (Advanced Wifi Lock, worth the 2 bucks). I set it to stay on for 20 minutes after the screen goes dark, and to turn back on immediately when the screen comes on. It works perfect.

The power jack is non-standard. Shame they didn't use the USB connection for the wall wart instead. However, it does charge quick for a 10,000mA battery and can charge it in a few hours. The jack wiggles a little bit too, so BE CAREFUL when using this plugged in.

The screen brightness range is very limited, though I will only use this at home, it is just too big and heavy to take about daily. I might take it on a trip though for entertainment. The screen also has a very narrow viewing angle. Scenes drop off with a slight tilt, and dark colors tend to blend into all other dark colors at even the slightest angle. This is advertised as something everyone can huddle over and use together (games, pictures, movies, etc). But unless you all bump heads together, someone will lose out on clarity. The screen resolution at 1280 x 800 though is just fine for what I need it for. (The specs here are wrong, it is NOT 1920x1080)

The back of the unit has KOCASO splayed across in white silk screened 2 inch lettering. Very bold and ugly. The dark brush aluminum backing is elegant and well built until you see this awful logo advertising. There is also a sticker covering a text mistake, and a misspelling. I may try to cover all this up with a skin.

This Kocaso M1400 (aka GX1400) 13.3" Android Jellybean tablet is worth the low price paid. But do not expect a fast slick tablet with any innovations other than a supersized screen. If you need this for reading large format documents, or watching media, this is a good choice. In fact, I have read more magazines this weekend than ever before! The Google Play store is a good start to look for individual issues or subscriptions. Some magazines are found for free by the publishers in PDF form (chock full of ads of course).

But, if you need a speedy tablet, or one that is truly portable and you expect to carry it around, look elsewhere.

I've rated this 3 stars for tablet performance, build and features, but added a star for low price and that currently it is a rare breed of monster.

3.0 out of 5 stars pluses and minuses, July 4, 2013
I. welch (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
plus:

this device has literally almost twice the physical screen size as an ipad.
it is cheap at under $300...
but it feels really well made
the screen is IPS
the power adapter is nicely small.
using an ARM, it runs cooler and fanless.
it does work!

minus:

the resolution is too low at 1280x800. I thought some 13" notebooks had similar resolutions, but somehow Android is just not as good at displaying fonts. so, the fonts really do look fuzzy. I do not have an apple retina fetish. the old iPad 2 was just fine IMHO.

the screen is not very bright. it is great at night for reading in the dark. but even in a well-lit indoor room, it's too little.

like all tablets, the screen is glossy. this makes reading indoors even harder.

the capacitive touch layer over the display has minor issues. it's clearly not resistive low-quality. but just trying to scroll down sometimes doesn't register. sometimes it thinks I am using two fingers, not one.

the sound is modest and not directed towards the listener. think iphone.

the power source is not USB.

all tablets are directional. the power switch is on a particular side. the webcam is on a particular side. why do they all look so identical that I have to guess which side is which? couldn't there be a "hint"---like a colored tab on one side?

others:

on the box, it says that the unit weight is 1350g. this seems right. in comparison, the ipad is about 700g. twice the screen, twice the weight. it feels modestly heavy, but not too badly so. it is very usable on a comfortable couch. but I would not go above this size and weight class.

the CPU feels ok. not fast, not slow. it bogs down on ad-heavy pages.

8GB of space should be more than enough.

android 4.1 could be updated...

video skype seems to work.

in sum, if this device had cost $50 more and instead had a brighter 1920x1080 display, it would have been a 4-star winner. add a little better capacitive layer and CPU, and it would have been 5-star. as it is, I think the impending Nexus 11 and lack of marketing doom this device to remain a temporary "also-ran."

buy it if you are vision impaired (and resolution matters less than size), and if you want to use it as a tablet primarily in the eve. for these situations, there is nothing better on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for diehard comic book geek [UPDATE March 2014], May 4, 2013
This review is from: Kocaso M1400 13-Inch 8GB Tablet (Personal Computers)
First off the description say screen is 1920 x 1080 that is wrong its 1280 x 800.

when used just for tablet basics I was very surprised how well it worked. I don't experience much difference between this dual core and my quad core galaxy note 10.1. using internet, playing media and general usage. This device works as well or better than my old Asus Transformer tf101. Lots of apps give me the dreaded "not compatible with this device" message. I keep putting off rooting but maybe that would let me install those apps. Airdroid "not compatible" is a good example why I want to root.

I bought this to read comics and large pdf books. comixology and perfect viewer work great. I do need to contact perfect viewer developer due to rare crashes. uncompressing a cbz into a folder using one of the many free android unzip apps and using perfect viewer as a straight up image viewer resolves the crash problem.

viewing angle for the LCD are really bad. lucky for me holding it in portrait with ports on top works. Its not friendly for two people sharing a book. I cannot recommend it for reading to children bedtime stories. The speakers really don't work period. I use bluetooth or headphone jack. You can watch a short youtube video but forget those speakers for movies or music.

The worse thing about this screen is that pressure from normal style holding brings some of the circuit board in contact with the internal backside of the LCD and causes the kind of ripples you would get from putting finger pressure on a desktop LCD monitor. The problem isn't everywhere just on the bottom quarter left hand side when in portrait or top quarter left when in landscape.

I am going to open the device and add my own shielding. I just haven't done enough research yet to decide on what material should I use. Plain folded paper might suffice. I want something that will last and not need replacing.

I would recommend this tablet for a comic book lover 'cause it cheap and does the job. I don't recommend this as a main tablet. Even if it was perfect in hardware it is very heavy for long use.

amazon.com still carries the toshiba excite 13.3 which is better than this and can be used as a main tablet. its much lighter and has a GREAT IPS screen. The toshiba excite 13.3" 16:9 ratio means that comic book pages are exactly in size like in real life. If the Excite 13.3" was 16:10 ratio then I would never recommend Kocaso even at 1/2 the price.

Update June 13:
Usage wise after rooting things are good. I installed "fullscreen" an app that removes the android system bar and makes some books fit even better. I tried opening the device itself to follow through on my plan to add some kind of padding or shielding to stop my ripple or puddle problem. The device was strongly glued together so I stopped for fear of breaking something. Deciding to continue on another day i replace the two screws and started the tablet. Incredibly this fixed the problem! It looks like my particular tablet was glued too tightly together and so the slight pressure from behind was magnified. Being root-able and fixable I increased my rating to a full 5 stars. For the price this is now a great bargain. I would have payed $200 more just to get a good IPS screen, more memory and a better type of connector for recharging.

UPDATE March 2014:

I stop using this tablet a while ago because it had become very laggy. Hoping to breathe new life into it I did some research and now it works better than EVER! With the tablet reset & rooted I installed "com.arctablet.arctools.apk" and choosing "Rockchip generic (RK3066, RK3188) CWM Recovery v 6.0.3.1 by fun_ (androtab.info)" I was able to install Clockwork Mod Recovery. CWM recovery allowed me to do a nandroid backup to my removable micro SD card. After that I used "System Application Manager" by FLAKI (free app at play store) to carefully remove\freeze bloatware apps and move other apps some from system to user level. Also I was able to move apps from the smaller "internal storage" partition to the larger "nand flash" partition. Messing around like this occasionally caused some problems like apps crashing (including "System Application Manager"). Booting into CWM recovery I used "advanced" option to "fix permissions" and that always fixed the crashes.

After setting everything as desired I made another nandroid backup to my external micro sd card. Restoring this "perfect" version after one more reboot made the tablet much faster. I think this is the poor man's FSTRIM.

I suggest anyone doing what I did to take it nice & slow with "System Application Manager" and use it CORRECTLY. Making app changes one at a time and use "System Application Manager" own built-in reboot feature after changes. Make several nandroid backups along the way to an external SD and copy those backups to your home computer. As long as you have the original nandroid backup made immediately after installing Clockwork Mod Recovery you should be safe.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good tablet, aside from 2 issues, May 15, 2013
This review is from: Kocaso M1400 13-Inch 8GB Tablet (Personal Computers)
This tablet was good, but I returned it because of these two issues:

1. The wifi capability was very inadequate. I'm not sure if I received a faulty tablet, but the wifi only works when I'm in the same room as the router. I cannot use it around the house which is really annoying. Even when I was about 10 feet away from the router, I would only get 2 bars. Once I was in another room the bars would drop to 0 bars. So it seems like it doesn't pick up wifi signals through walls very well. It's really disappointing because my smartphone has better range than that.

Also, someone else mentioned the wifi turning off when locking the screen. I did not have this issue with my tablet.

2. The speakers were horrible. I bought this mainly to use at home to watch videos and movies and I was very disappointed by the quality of sound from the speakers. The speakers don't get loud at all. My tiny smartphone has louder speakers than this tablet.

Aside from those two issues, I liked everything else about the tablet so I gave it 3 stars. The screen resolution is NOT 1920 x 1080, but it's 1280 x 800. I was still happy with the resolution; it wasn't an issue for me. It's a good, fast tablet, but those 2 issues made me return it.

3.0 out of 5 stars The biggest thing I dislike is that you do need to be looking straight ..., September 24, 2014
Lucy1512 "mjs" (Tiger Prairie, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kocaso M1400 13-Inch 8GB Tablet (Personal Computers)
I got this because it was the largest tablet I could find. I was a little concerned about it being an off-brand, but most of my apps installed with no problem. I thought it would be a little heavier, but it is a lot heavier. The battery life is probably average for something this size. It does the job, not TOO slow, not fast. The biggest thing I dislike is that you do need to be looking straight at the screen to see it good. If you are not in front of it the picture is a little distorted. I will continue to use it, but I would not buy it again. I had planned to replace my Samsung 10.1 tab with this one because of size. However, I prefer the Samsung and I use the Samsung much more than this one. So, let me sum up: It is a large tablet with an average battery life and less than average screen. It is not a high-end tablet so, for the price, this is about what you would expect. For these reasons I am giving it an average rating. For someone who needs a tablet, and is on a strict budget, this will work.

3.0 out of 5 stars IT'S OK, BUT...., December 14, 2013
This review is from: Kocaso M1400 13-Inch 8GB Tablet (Personal Computers)
This tablet is surely not for everyone, but works OK for my application. I'd rate it much lower than 3 stars if not for the screen size. It's big and heavy so probably not practical for those on the go. I use it on a music stand to replace a HUGE (and heavy) notebook full of song charts, and need to see it though bifocals from about three feet away. Compared to a five pound book, it's light! Speaking of light, the brightness is VERY good. In fact, since stages are often fairly dark and I'm viewing black text on a white background, I actually turned the brightness control way down! That is pretty much the extent of my positive comments. I can't comment on the sound quality since my speakers DO NOT WORK. The unit has two mini USB ports. One works, ONE DOESN'T (at least on the one I purchased). Both are extremely tight. So tight in fact that it's difficult to insert a plug. The AC power adapter jack/socket is loose and sloppy, so I doubt it will last long. This could be a problem soon since I'll be using it a LOT. We'll see. When using battery power the tablet works fine. When using the AC power adapter the touch screen goes berserk doing everything except what you want, and makes the image flicker so it's good only for charging the battery. The 5-page "user manual" is a complete joke, telling you little more than how to turn it on and the location of the switches and jacks. I've searched all over the 'net and can't find additional help and/or instructions. I needed to transfer about a thousand MSWORD files (song charts) from a desktop (XP Pro) to the tablet, and without any useful instructions, I took my chances and used the supplied adapter cable to connect the two devices. My desktop recognized the tablet and allowed me to accomplish the task, but it took me a while to find the transferred info once completed. Some of the older files were in WORD-95 format, and none of the pre-loaded apps would recognize them, causing me a real hassle re-formatting them in my desktop and doing the whole transfer process twice. MUSICIANS TAKE NOTE; once transferred, every one of my files needs to be manually "corrected" due to a format conflict which moved every notation above the lyric text. For singers that only need to view lyrics, this will probably not be an issue. Someone more tech-savvy might know how to solve the format conflict issue easily, but the correction process is taking me forever! I don't know how useful this tablet would be for internet usage, but I will likely never use it for that anyway. Price of this unit is very affordable and is getting cheaper every day. I paid $279. The next day I saw one listed for $259. Overall, the physical construction is pretty much el-cheapo junk, but if it lasts me a year, it'll be worth the low price. I would not recommend this tablet for anything other than viewing text files on a stand, and even then, only if you have low expectations like me. It's a darn shame no major manufacturers offer higher quality (better built) tablets with a screen this large. A 17" would be even better, and a 19" would be a dream come true. I'd pay more to get something more ruggedly built with a bigger screen, but not a LOT more since I don't need the whistles and bells (or horsepower) of a laptop.

3.0 out of 5 stars It has a big screen! That's it! Don't expect much from it!, October 30, 2014
This review is from: Kocaso M1400 13-Inch 8GB Tablet (Personal Computers)
If you just want a big size screen, this is it! But remember other functionality is not like Samsung or other big brands. Wifi works only within 30 ft from the router. Bluetooth connects well. But the speak is terrible. You definitely need an external speaker. One big disadvantage is its 8 gig internal storage. You have only 700 mb to install your favorite apps. Since most app don't allow to be installed or moved to a SD card, you have to consider this if you are going to install lots of apps on it. Watching videos from YouTube or Netflix is ok. It will be great if you are just going to read documents or view pictures or do internet.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, June 22, 2013
This review is from: Kocaso M1400 13-Inch 8GB Tablet (Personal Computers)
I have both this unit and the Archos Familypad 2. They look almost exactly alike, except that Archos made the decision not to include bluetooth. If you require bluetooth connectivity, the Kocaso is the obvious choice (and it is also cheaper).

My unit says "M1400" on the back (apparently it is also known as GX1400, but I haven't heard of another unit with that model number on it and don't know if there are any differences between them). Out of the box, had a few strange issues such as the speakers being unusable as the volume out of them was very low (both with speakers and headphones). Tried everything to fix that problem and almost gave up. However, flashing the firmware (available from mymidpad, not from Kocaso) fixed the problem and the sound is now usable, although not fantastic. Flashing also fixed a problem I was having with connecting bluetooth devices to the unit.

Currently, my main issue is that no stylus I have tried seems to work well on this screen (the Archos has the same problem). Would be great to be able to make hand written notes on this large format, but so far a finger has to be used for that. My theory is that it takes more pixels to be triggered than what the normal stylus can cover and I have not been able to find a way to change that setting. The screen resolution is low, but quite usable.

As mentioned here, rooting is easy, unlike the Archos which I have not been able to root as yet.

Installed a 32GB micro SD card on it and it works well. The unit did not recognize a 64GB card.

All in all, not a bad unit. I had problems playing back some high bitrates videos (such as hi-res AVCHD videos) but found a player app in the Google store that fixed that problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Tablet for the Money, July 23, 2014
Andy F (Bremen, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kocaso M1400 13-Inch 8GB Tablet (Personal Computers)
I've used the tablet for about two weeks and am fairly pleased so far. I wanted a large tablet for the purpose of being able to read sheet music with aging eyes and this tablet is plenty large enough. My only concern is that the app I've chosen needs continual reinstallation. I've spoken with a friend who recommended that particular app and he doesn't have that problem, so I know it isn't the app. I hope to resolve the issue soon and move on.
UPDATE: I learned that the apps disengaged when I connected to the external USB storage: my PC. However, it was necessary to return the unit to Amazon since both USB ports failed. I was very pleased with the unit and have ordered a replacement for it, but this time I ordered the GX model. Maybe it'll be of higher quality.

1.0 out of 5 stars REFUND POLICY IS GREAT - IT HAS TO BE!, November 8, 2013
This review is from: Kocaso M1400 13-Inch 8GB Tablet (Personal Computers)
Worked for two days, then stopped. Nothing I did could revive it. Very frustrating, because this tablet had the potential to do what I wanted - which was to only display music lyrics. The good news it I was able to return it for a refund, no questions asked.

Kocaso M1400 13-Inch 8GB Tablet