4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Scanner!
Published on October 12, 2012 by ken1989

Published 20 months ago by P. Scott Pope

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Scanner!, October 12, 2012
This review is from: Kodak 1993807 Sheetfeed Scanner (Office Product)
This scanner is a great improvement in the line of Picture Scanners from Eastman Kodak. After scanning 3000 print photos with the new imaging element design, the PS50 images came out great! The new design helped eliminate an existing issue of streaking that many reviews told about the s1220, PS410, PS810 (previous models). The Picture Saver Scanning System software is easy to use and has functions to help process orders as if you wanted to operate a business. This machine has made it easy to scan family photos and possibly opened new business opportunities!

Here are all the things I liked about the machine:

-New glass-less top imaging element provides little dust interference in scanning pictures
-LED lighting system helps unit to run cooler and save energy (*ALWAYS A PLUS*)
-Software is very easy to use!
-1 year Warranty included
-Kodak's Picture System Technology

2.0 out of 5 stars Fails to meet expectations - photo separation capabilities weak, April 29, 2013
While this scanner has exceptional per-scan speed, its real-world bulk scanning performance falls short. After scanning 4,000+ photos of different vintages (5-50 years old), I have come to the conclusion that under the best case scenarios at least 5% of the photos will not be captured. Photos pass through without being scanned because the PS50 cannot properly separate them. Even recent, pristine photos will stick together. Running older prints that have spent years in albums leads to failure rates of more than 30%.

One solution to separation failure is to individually load the photos very quickly. In a commercial setting, doing this 3000+ times per hour will render arms useless. In essence, Kodak designed a very fast scanner but failed to invest in an appropriately robust separation mechanism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Kept Secret -- No Streaking/Incredibly Fast, February 17, 2013
This review is from: Kodak 1993807 Sheetfeed Scanner (Office Product)
Scanned over 20,000 photos with no photo defects (i.e., no streak/lines in photos). This saved me sooooo much time over using other batch scanners (i.e., Epson GS55) that had a 20-50% defect rate of dust induced lines. Incredible, INCREDIBLE, INCREDIBLE...need i say more.

One other thing, folks at EZ-PhotoScan were top notch with their assistance and FAST shipping. I would of never have bought this unit (looking at an alternative) without their suggestions. Needless to say, their advice was spot on.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very Powerful Tool, January 20, 2014
Jet21x (Idaho Falls, ID) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kodak 1993807 Sheetfeed Scanner (Office Product)
This has saved hours on photo scanning, it does a great job and fast, besides the money and time I would have had to pay someone to handle the work, it is worth every dime I spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for bulk., July 16, 2014
Bob (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kodak 1993807 Sheetfeed Scanner (Office Product)
When you have to scan a LOT this is the scanner, it's pricy but I have thousands of family pictures and I tried a on-line scanning service which didn't workout at what I considered a decent price (I scan to tiff). The challenge was getting decent software on my mac. I finally ended up with Presto! software which works real well. After years of cheap scanners, there really is a difference.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good scanner, but with very old fashion software, May 25, 2014
LilyFromMars (Los angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kodak 1993807 Sheetfeed Scanner (Office Product)
super fast scanning, good quality scanning image, but software don't support Mac, that is very disappointing. I hope they are keeping up with the software development.

4.0 out of 5 stars I am extremely satisfied with it, October 15, 2014
Rafis (Northern Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kodak 1993807 Sheetfeed Scanner (Office Product)
First, let me say that in my opinion, there is no replacement for this item. I have done extensive research and it is simply not possible. If you have a substantial amount of photos to scan, this item is the only way to go. I have looked for a cheaper way to do this. There is none, unless you are willing to use 10x the amount of time and effort. So my wife waited for a milestone birthday and purchased this for me. I am extremely satisfied with it.
I inherited between 10, 000-15,000 photos from my parents after they died. Some of them go as far back as the 1920’s all the way up until the present day. In addition to the albums, there are thousands sitting in shoe boxes that were never put in albums. Let’s face it, these will sit in my basement in boxes and nobody will ever see them. Even the ones in albums are just going to sit there, for the most part. If this sounds in any way familiar, then this item is for you. Putting these photos on a slide show on a 70 inch TV brings them back to life.
This item does everything it claims. You can scan the photos to various resolutions, the lowest of which will scan about 60 photos per minute. In addition, a substantial pile (about 1 inch thick) can be scanned at one time. Anyone who has scanned with a flatbed knows you cannot even come close to this. At higher resolutions, I estimate 20-30 per minute. Still fast. The resolution varies from less than 1 mb to over 20 mb. So you can pick your favorites and save them for the higher resolutions.
The software is very simple to use and there are a variety of settings. The program comes with basic photo editing software, but I would recommend the myriad others available for better results. So far I have scanned about 3000 photos with no problems. No streaking.
So why didn’t I give it five stars? Getting this “dongle” to work (an added bit of software which is loaded via a flash drive) was not easy. I had to figure it out on my own. Basically you must reenter the disk and find this “dongle” inside the disk there and then open it. Called the help number and they said they couldn’t help me at the moment and they would call me tomorrow. Expected better help. They did call back the next day but I had already figured it out. Secondly, it is not “set and forget and one might think. The pictures sometimes stick together and three go through together, producing a fanned card effect. Additionally if the feeder does not adequately read another picture from the stack it will assume you are done and close out the session. I find keeping light pressure on the top of stack with my finger alleviates this.
I have loaded it on both Windows 7 and 8, 64 bit with no problem. Other than the dongle issue, set up was easy. Overall an excellent machine, well worth the money if you are in a similar situation. I have read online that people actually run their own businesses and even rent these machines out for a few hundred dollars for three days. I personally have no such plans.

Kodak 1993807 Sheetfeed Scanner