5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic results from a camera that costs <$10
Lets start this off by saying this is a sub $10 disposable camera.

It has no zoom or special features apart from the flash.

Published on October 13, 2004 by Chris in St. Pete

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic / no frills / good
Published on March 8, 2006 by Mr. S. Kilpatrick II

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic results from a camera that costs <$10, October 13, 2004
Chris in St. Pete (St. Petersburg, FL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Kodak Black & White Single Use Camera (Electronics)
Lets start this off by saying this is a sub $10 disposable camera.

It has no zoom or special features apart from the flash.

These were meant to be quick and easy to use with little fuss. And in that capacity they work really really well. I have a 35mm point and shoot zoom, a high end Sony digital and a mid range Sony camcorder but I always make sure I have one of these handy.

These are way faster and easier to use than either my digital or my 35mm. I get quick shots that I could never capture on any other camera because they simply take too long to turn on and/or set up.

As for picture quality I am more than pleased with the output. Remember the person developing your photos has as much control over how they turn out as you did in taking the picture. So it is important to use a developing service that you like and trust. That said, this little camera is capable of taking some terrific shots provided you shoot within the limitations of the lens and film.

The small lens means you will need to be fairly close to your subject to get good detail. Also, the B&W film is a slower ASA so you will generally need more light than you may be used to with color film. I find the camera works best using the flash on most all pictures I take unless you are in direct sunlight. B&W pictures are worth the effort as they have a distinct feel and warmpth that color film dosent easily capture.

Again, due to the small lens you cant expect a lot of depth in your photos but the clarity is on par with my Canon point and shoot.

Either way at this price you can't go wrong buying this camera.

Pros:

Price

Ease of use

Speed of use

Kodak film quality

Cons:

Limited depth of field

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pictures, but not for everybody., August 29, 2006
Josh S. Zerin "35Max" (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kodak Black & White Single Use Camera (Electronics)
I work at a professional photofinishing lab, and I can attest to the quality of the film inside this camera. The Kodak Black & White OTUC performs comparably to the Kodak HQ Max Versatility camera; it produces a high-quality image in most situations.

The camera comes loaded with Kodak BW400CN film, which is safe for processing at any facility that can process color film.

Because this camera uses 400-speed film, it is much better suited to well-lit shots. If you use it indoors, always use the camera's built-in flash. Try to avoid low-light situations.

The higher contrast and image clarity offered by black-and-white film, coupled with the novel 'classic look' of black and white prints makes this camera a good buy for the casual artist or for unique circumstances. However, this camera is not pro-grade by any means. More serious black-and-white photographers would do well to purchase a reusable film camera and select their own black and white film stock.

Note also that many photofinishing labs will offer black and white prints from color film. While these pictures won't have the same contrast and clarity produced by true black and white film, they still have the novelty of being black and white. Depending on your application, this might be the way to go.

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic / no frills / good, March 8, 2006
This review is from: Kodak Black & White Single Use Camera (Electronics)
Highly recommended for anyone who wants just a taste of black & white film. I purchased this item as a experiment into the realm of film after years of work with digital. The flavor of prints from film is distinctly different from that of digital, and I would encourage anyone who is very familiar with digital, but not film to purchase a disposable camera just to experiance the difference.

If I had one complaint about this item, is that I was unable to toggle the flash to "off" once I charged it the first time. Even after letting the camera sit overnight, the flash was still enabled. Perhaps I simply didn't understand the instructions.

1.0 out of 5 stars A dud, March 15, 2013
This review is from: Kodak Black & White Single Use Camera (Electronics)
I don't know if it was Costco or the camera but none of my pictures developed from this camera. Big bummer for us since we placed it on one of tables at our wedding reception.

2.0 out of 5 stars eeeeekk awful!!!, November 25, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Kodak Black & White Single Use Camera (Electronics)
I was quite taken by the look of the Camera. Very Compact, Professional looking (almost real) to previous "Cardboard Box" Disposable Camera's Kodak have brought out in the late 80's early 90's.
When I got the Photos developed they just looked Average, not much Depth in each shot, almost like they were overexposed. Not "true" B&W Pics. I've taken many B&W Photos before with a proper Camera using Ilford B & W Film. The Photo's were just so-so. I don't know about this whole Ektanar Lens stuff either, the Photos produced were no clearer than any other One time use Camera. I probably shouldn't expect so much from a Single Use Camera.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please do not buy this camera!, May 16, 2007
This review is from: Kodak Black & White Single Use Camera (Electronics)
I bought 6 of these cameras for my wedding. The pictures developed were grainy and awful. Not one shot was usable. We took pictures in the light, the dark, all the shots were terrible. The photo lab told me that the film inside the camera was instructed to be developed using standard colors (?) and there was no way she could have altered the pictures or film to turn out better. I am extrememly disappointed and would never recommend this camera to anyone.