Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

This package (Kodak SC4-AM-PC+4) contains four Pre-Charged AA rechargeable batteries, plus the SC4 'Smart' charger.

I have tested four of those Kodak AA batteries using my La Crosse BC1000 charger/analyzer. Here are my results:
- Right out of the package, the average remaining charge is 1932mAh, or over 90% the rated capacity of '2100mAh'
- After just one recharge, the average capacity improved to 2200mAh, which is 5% better than the rated capacity.
- Subsequent recharge/discharge cycles do not show any change in capacity number.

The above showed that those Kodak batteries are indeed low-self-discharge type similar to Sanyo Eneloop, but with about 5% higher capacity. By the way, eneloop AA cells are only rated 2000mAh, but they have consistently showed 2100mAh on my BC1000.

The Kodak SC4 is quite good for a value-priced charger. It accepts universal voltage of 100-240V AC. The charging current is 310mA (actually 0 to 620mA at 50% duty cycle) for AA cells. That means it takes 7-8 hours to fully recharge a set of Kodak batteries from empty. For AAA cells the current is reduced to 120mA, so the charge time is again around 7 hours from empty.

If the batteries are only partially depleted, however, the charge time will be shorter. This is because the SC4 will stop charging when it senses the battery voltages are high enough. That's why the Kodak SC4 is advertised as a SMART charger. In contrast, a timer-based DUMB charger will blindly charge for 6-8 hours, regardless of battery status.

Unfortunately, there is one major drawback with this so-called 'smart' charger: It charges in pairs only. That is: either 2 or 4 cells at a time. This is very inconvenient if you have appliances that require odd number of cells, such as wireless mouse or LED flashlight. Now you're left with one cell that you cannot recharge. If you try to charge one empty cell together with another that is mostly full, the latter will be badly overcharged (since the charger only stops when the combined voltage of two cells is over 2.9V approximately).

On the other hand, the present price of this package is just slightly higher than a pack of four pre-charged batteries, so essentially you get the SC4 almost for free. In this sense, I consider this package a very good value.

Just in case you need to add a better charger that can handle individual cells, consider one of the followings:
Sony Cycle Energy BCG34HLD 4-cell charger, or
Sanyo MDR02 2-cell Charger
(see my review on it here: http://www.amazon.com/review/R29SSWK9ZE6FOX/ )
review image
on September 5, 2012
This charger charged up 4 NiMH AA cells overnight displaying a steady red charge in in progress annunciation. This morning those red leds had already changed to green and the cells were charged up and NOT burning hot. That IS smart charging! The 4 Kodak cells mine came with were dead..that is NO pre-charge. Now they are charging up like good little girls should do. Oh yes. I was so pleased to see green lights this morning. Happy camper here even though I'm not camped in the Umpqua National Forest right this minute. G O D U C K S !!

Update: I have now charged 5 sets of (4)NiMH AA cells all with this Kodak charger and all is well in Mudville tonight. Red lights during charge and green lights when done charging ..and no more HOT cells due to continuous over-charging. I'm a long-time Amazon customer and this is one of ther best values I've gotten. Not a lot of $$$ involved but a great deal of value for $$$ spent. Still not in the Umpqua.
on January 9, 2012
This product works great. It does exactly as described. It will keep your batteries charged if left plugged in or it will let you know by changing light color when batteries are charged.
I Returned two new VTEC brand rechargeable batteries/chargers $43 total and replaced with Kodak 4 cell smart charger. One of the VTEC brand charger/batteries would not charge at all out the pack. The other charged but got extremely hot. Kodak batteries and chargers stays cool when charging and doesn't over charge. Regular batteries would only last 3 to 4 hours of continuous play in InnoTab 2 these batteries last for DAYS!!! My son watches full length movies on his InnoTab2. So he would go through multiple packs of 4AA batteries a week sometimes 3packs a day. :-( I brought two packs of Kodak so one would always be charging but I could get away with just having one as long as I recharged at night while he's asleep. Great Great Great money saving buy!!! I ordered from wesaveyou$ and they arrived way before estimated delivery date. Wish I had found them sooner I plan to get some AAA's as well for other small appliances around the house. Wow cannot express how much money these batteries are saving me. If you are looking for good long lasting batteries...stop right here and Buy them Buy them Buy them......you wont be sorry.
on June 23, 2013
I have a 4+ year old set of Kodak batteries and a non-smart charger that they came with. It was quite pricy, probably 30 bucks or so. So when I saw this, I was immediately pleased. I'm very fond of Kodak batteries, as 4/6 of my previous batch still hold a full charge. 4 years later.

The batteries are self explanatory, they last a good bit when in use, and hold a charge well when not in use. The smart charger is useful, the indicator lights are red when charging, and green when fully charged. I noticed that when I put my old (what I thought were fully charged) batteries into it, the smart charger told me the opposite, and charged them right up.

This is a great deal for the money. And the classy design is just a cherry on top.
on June 27, 2013
I write "in storage for 2 years" but the year-manufacture puts it at 2-1/2 years or longer. This is how long the batteries and charger were sealed in the retail packaging. I put 4 of the Kodak AA's in my Powerex C9000 to determine the remaining capacity and I got 1485mAh to 1545mAh. That's Super!!! Truly low-self-discharge. This is a great-value product (especially in comparision to the Duracell Value Charger which has 4 standard NIMH's rated at 1700mAh)
on August 1, 2013
The batteries and charger are good. Everything works as it should. The only issue is that the descriptions says the batteries are pre-charged, but they aren't. Expecting them to be pre-charged as described, I took the whole thing with me and when my old batteries died, I put these in and nothing. completely dead too. Once charged, they were just fine.
on September 19, 2012
Just what I needed to replace the non-rechargeable batteries that came with the camera. It does seem to take quite some time to even "top off" the batteries for a full day of picture taking. Only had 2 months but so far the product is OK.
on July 4, 2013
I purchased several of these. The charger works very well, and the batteries last a long time. They also hold most of their charge for several weeks after charging. You can't buy four good-quality AA rechargeables for $7, and this includes the charger, too!
on October 5, 2012
very great product!It is 2100 mah battery, but when using this batteries my digital camera(fujifilm hs10) shoot approx 300 frames and 1.5 hours video!
kodak batteries is the best!
thanks,