4.0 out of 5 stars Kodak EasyShare M340
I bought this camera from Best Buy about 3 weeks ago, and I like it so far.

What I like:
--The menus! They are very well organized and so easy to navigate. It's actually why I bought this camera.
--The panoramic option is fabulous. You can stitch up to 3 snapshots together for one beautiful picture.
--Camera body is slim and smooth, not bulky or...
Published on July 4, 2009 by Casey Prisee

3.0 out of 5 stars bad video sound quality
Published on April 18, 2009 by Rachael Bouquard

4.0 out of 5 stars Kodak EasyShare M340, July 4, 2009
Casey Prisee (Gainesville, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this camera from Best Buy about 3 weeks ago, and I like it so far.

What I like:
--Camera body is slim and smooth, not bulky or bumpy.
--It's powered with a Li-on battery that you can charge through a wall outlet or your computer. So no more popping oodles of batteries, and no more worrying if you've over-charged the thing. The battery life is pretty decent, too.

What I don't like:
--The shutter speed is a tad slow. For still/portrait shots it's fantastic, but for action shots you'll need a little foresight.
--It makes this weird, soft clicking noise while it's on. But that's more of a minor nuisance than an actual problem. The noise does not affect the camera's performance at all.
--When recording video, the picture is very clear, but the volume is a little low.

Overall:
If you want a decent, bright, easy-to-use, basic camera, buy this one. I got it in silver, but it comes in other colors, too. If you want more zoom, you can check out the M380.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Solution to Clicking Problem, November 14, 2009
Marley (Alexandria, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kodak EasyShare M340 10MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom and 2.7 inch LCD (Green) (Electronics)
I haven't had this camera long enough to say too much about it, but I do have a solution to the clicking noise everyone is complaining about. Go to the menu and then go down to AF Control. Click on Single AF. No more sound.

I will give kudos to the online help chat person at Kodak. She was very respectful and helpful, and she solved the issue quickly.

Additional Comment

I've now had the camera for a few months. I wasn't sure at first how I felt because there is definite noise above ISO 400 (200 works best). However, a few things changed my mind. I did a color test comparing it and a more expensive Canon I have to my high-quality dslr. The Kodak was much closer in color to the dslr than the Canon. The color in general was much brighter and more accurate. I also ran the pictures through my photo editing software. The pictures needed very little adjustment according to the histogram- only a little sharpening.

Overall, this camera is definitely worth the small price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent inexpensive camera that delivers excellent photos, June 24, 2009
Don't let the Kodak EasyShare M340's price fool you. It delivers stunning photos with amazing color in an incredibly small package. While it doesn't have a lot of the controls of more expensive models, it performs well in most lighting conditions. However, do note that this camera will not perform very well in dim lighting -- it does not have an autofocus assist light. Personally, the lack of this feature doesn't bother me as I wanted a simple snapshot camera to carry around and take pictures mindlessly.

The best feature of this camera is the Smart Capture mode. I'm able to take photos knowing that I'll get a photo that's been optimized for that "Kodak" look - bright photos with great saturation and contrast, all without the need of Photoshop. It color corrects photos (where possible), and changes contrast in dark areas to reveal details that might otherwise be hidden.

I highly recommend this camera for people who want a simple snapshot camera who simply want to take pictures good/bright lighting who simply don't care to tweak their photos in a photo editing program.

If you're wondering about video -- it's okay, but then again, it's digital camera, not a digital video camera, so don't expect too much. They're good enough for posting on the web, but otherwise that's really about it. With low cost, dedicated video cameras capable of HD like the Kodak Zi6, Flip and Sony cameras, you'll be happier with a better tool designed to deliver video.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never write reviews but had to for this!, November 17, 2009
This is just a short review explaining my thoughts on the camera. I took a 4 hour trip to bear valley and while my friend was driving I was snapping like crazy out the window. At 80 mph I got crazy clear shots. Some of the best I have ever taken. For being so cheap $$ wise this camera packs a punch. The Image stabilization is great. Passing signs on the road I would time the shot and get clear details. I'm not here to write some lengthy review of the specs, but this camera has changed my life. I'm 22 and if I had never bought this camera and seen my potential I would have never gotten into Photography, astro-photography, webdesign etc. Bottom line is this picture is for taking pictures. It makes clicking noises which doesn't bother me. It is so cheap you don't have to worry about scratching it. It is so portable. It starts up quick which allows me to catch those once in a lifetime shots. Excellent detail without zoom. With zoom pictures can be blurry. Dont buy this camera for crazy crystal clear zoom shots. I have gotten great detail with the zoom but it may take a few shots. Battery is awesome. Menu is simple. Basic set of modes. Good sized screen. The key is having a large memory card. I have 8 gigabytes so thats around 4000 pictures. I literally point and click 20 pictures. Moving at 80mph 14 out of 20 will be crisp. On that bear valley trip I took 2000 pictures. Buy this camera if your thinking of starting photography but don't want to invest lots of money and find out its not for you. I think of this camera as a good old friend.

3.0 out of 5 stars bad video sound quality, April 18, 2009
The photos came out pretty well on this camera. Once in a while they were grainy and blurry but otherwise they were fine. The problem I had with this camera, and the reason I returned it, was the sound quality on the video option. The picture on the video is very clear but the sound is ruined by a constant clicking and whirring noise. Sometimes the noise completely blocked out people's voices. I returned my camera hoping it was a defect on my model only, but I tried the video as soon as I purchased the new camera and had the same problem. I returned it immediately. The salesclerks did not know what was causing the noise.

I really liked the shortcut buttons on the back of the camera. I looked for those options on other cameras and was unable to find them. The panoramic option worked well too. I took some photos of family gatherings using the panoramic shot and the family was really impressed.

If you don't care about the video, this camera is fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift, July 6, 2009
Bought this camera as a gift and it is fantastic! The recipient is a novice, but other members of her family have had years of experience with digital cameras. She has had absolutely no problems with learning to take pictures and has taken some beautiful ones! The other members of her family have tried to "borrow" this camera. The pictures are crystal clear. No one has used the video on the camera. Other members of her family who have used this camera and printed pictures are now in the process of buying this same camera for themselves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for a Compact, August 10, 2009
This 10-megapixel compact camera is fitted with a 3x zoom lens (35-105-millimetre film equivalent). It has what Kodak calls "blur reduction". Its 16MB of internal memory is supplemented by an SD card memory. The body has an unusual enamelled-metal look that is attractive in a range of colours - I liked the red, personally. Controls are small and reasonably comprehensive for a point-and-shoot camera. There is a P (Program) setting for extra control over shooting parameters. There is face detection and various scene modes. The LCD screen is large (6.9 centimetres) and of good brightness, contrast and fidelity. Various aspect ratios can be chosen including a dedicated setting for high-definition television display. Movie mode is acceptable.

The image quality is typically Kodak: bright, slightly oversaturated, well exposed and with sharp focus. This box camera simplicity is what Kodak does so well. When everything in the photo-taking situation is just right, the results are excellent.

Dislike
As with most compacts, it is not advisable to use ISO settings above 200. Picture noise (grain) is noticeable at 400 and intolerable above that point. For this reason, I would never recommend leaving the camera on the Smart Capture setting and letting it choose the ISO speed. With the Mode selector on P and the ISO setting fixed at 200 or less the camera works well.

Verdict
I took some pretty good pictures with this camera but also took a few duds. But that's typical of compacts - they are much more difficult to use than DSLRs. Overall, Compacts are fiddly, difficult and cranky and DSLRs are simple and forgiving. But you can't put a DSLR in your pocket.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only one flaw and the others had to be worked out, September 17, 2009
I'm normally not a kodak person but I loves the design of this camera and the price was great,
When I first got the camera while filming a video, it would make a weird noise that was being captured on the actual film recording. After playing around with it I found that it was the sensor (orientation sensor) that was in "on" mode and its sorta like the camera is blinking making noise trying to adjust.....this was annoying so I turned off the sensor, (in settings) and there is no more noise...problem fixed

The one thing i didn't like was the low voice and video playback??? you cant hear at all almost, its fine when you upload it, but when your playing it back on the camera, its extremely low, even with the sound cranked to high...not a complete deal breaker but dag, I like to play back on the devise sometimes as well.

Takes great pictures, video is great, just lousy playback sound, very low

5.0 out of 5 stars Kodak made a great entry level camera, September 4, 2009
I will be honest, this is not the best point and shoot out there, but for the price you can't beat it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a great camera under $150. I have 12 digital cameras ranging from a Nikon D300/D40 to this...

- Image quality
- Size
- Self timer has option to let you take two photos (in case one is bad)
- Long lasting battery
- Smart Capture make it easy to take photos

What I am not crazy about:
- LCD can scratch easily
- Would like a 4X zoom but 3x is standard for this class of camera
- LCD can be hard to see in direct sunlight

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love this Camera..., December 30, 2009
Angel L. Rodriguez "angelr1076" (san diego, ca United States) - See all my reviews
OK, I've only had it for about a week, but so far it's been great. I'm heading to France in a couple weeks and I wanted an affordable camera that takes great pics in the $100 price range. I researched cameras quite a bit and found this model to have the overall best user satisfaction ratings. I will also write a follow-up review once I get back from my trip to report any possible problems, if any, I come across.

I went to Target to find this model but they were all out and in desperation, I bought the pretty Olympus FE-4000 - one camera that I did not actually research. Once I got home, I snapped a few pics with it and they were all blurry. I read a few reviews and they were pretty awful so I exchanged the camera the very next morning and found that Target did get a few deliveries of the M340 so I snatched one up.

The camera's great. It's so easy to use right out of the box. The LCD screen is big considering the size of the camera. There's a button dedicated to flash settings so that you can turn it on and off on-the-fly. Again, the camera is very user-friendly. If you apply just enough pressure to the shutter switch, the camera automatically focuses and you can press it down fully to take a snapshot. It's also pretty quick from the time you press the switch to the time it takes to snap a photo. The battery-life is also very long. I will address this in my follow-up as well.

One thing I did notice was the constant motor noise when the camera is on. It's a subtle noise, but it can get a bit annoying. I noticed a couple people here have addressed this, but I would also like to clarify further. If you turn AF (Auto Focus) to "Single AF" in Video Mode, the noise will cease. You have to do this in each setting you are able to on the small round click wheel in order to stop this in each mode. I do like using Smart Capture mode and I realized that this noise cannot be stopped entirely in that mode. Although switching the setting in Video Mode does minimize the noise in Auto Mode, it does not stop it entirely. You can turn it off in Program Mode as well by setting Auto Focus to "Single AF" in the settings. The reason why this noise occurs is because the motor in the camera is constantly trying to focus as the camera moves or lighting changes. If it is set to "Constant AF," it will repeatedly make this noise as the camera is always trying to focus.

So, I love this camera so far. It is small enough to fit in your pocket without any noticeable bulkiness. The design is sleek and it's just a pretty little camera. It's easy to use right out of the box and navigation in any menu is never tedious or hard to decipher. There is also a "i" button that allows you to display information about any menu setting highlighted just in case you are not sure what you're looking at.

The one thing that would have been nice was an "old-school" viewfinder since the only way you can view the pics you're taking is through the LCD screen. This is just a minor gripe, but it can be a hassle if you're taking pics while outside and the sun is beaming causing a lot of glare on the screen making it hard to see what you're taking a picture of. Other than that, this is an awesome camera!!!