Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kodak EasyShare Sport C123 12 MP Waterproof Digital Camera (Blue)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on May 23, 2011
I received this camera the other day. I have taken several indoor photos with flash.. not bad (be sure to use the redeye preflash). I have taken a number of deliberately varied outdoor photos, shade, sun, telephoto, flash fill. The results were pretty darn good and very sharp in all cases within it's specifications. It doesn't focus on "real close stuff". I have not tested it for "ruggedness". I have not used it under water.

No. It is not a Canon 7D or equivalent Nikon. It is a $69 rugged waterproof small camera. It seems to be exactly what it says it is and takes good photos for the price. And I'm going to use it in places I won't take my Canon dSLR or my Canon G7.
on September 5, 2011
I bought this camera after spending what seemed like hours researching options for underwater photography. I have a fairly expensive Nikon DSLR and another less expensive Nikon DSLR, which is the one I usually take with me to the beach or the pool. Still, even with the less expensive camera I have to be very careful to keep sand out of it, and I can't get in the water or very close to my subjects if they are in the water.

I originally planned to buy an underwater housing for my less expensive camera, but I was more than a little bothered by the fact that there wasn't a single product available that didn't have one or more reviews claiming that the housing had completely failed and ruined an expensive camera. Furthermore, when this happens the company that makes the housing usually pays for a replacement of the housing, not the camera. I wasn't willing to take this kind of risk even with my less expensive camera, which would still cost upwards of $500 to replace.

Then I found this little camera on Amazon.com. I really liked the idea of a cheap camera that could go underwater. If this one failed (and it sounds like about 20% of all underwater cameras, regardless of the price, do eventually develop leaks) I was out $67, and unless it failed right away it would still pay for itself, since a few underwater disposables are roughly equal to the price of this camera.

I am mostly happy with my purchase. It's so much fun to be able to go out in the water with my kids and take pictures of them underwater, or splashing around and having a good time. I would never be able to get pictures like this with either of my other cameras. Even with an underwater housing, I think I would be too scared to really let go and go all the way underwater with it. With this camera I don't worry. I just go out and shoot. I can even swim with it in my hand (mine came with a floating wristband--I wouldn't recommend doing this if you don't have one because the camera doesn't float).

There are three issues that made me downgrade the camera from a five star to a four star, at least two of which have been mentioned by other reviewers.

1) The screen is really hard to see in bright light, and there's no viewfinder, so sometimes it's hard to know what you're shooting at.

2) The shutter is slow. I'd say it takes a full two seconds from the time you press the button to the time the photo is actually captured. So you may miss some action unless you shoot about two seconds before something happens, which obviously isn't always possible.

3) (And I'm surprised I haven't read any other reviews complaining about this) The camera really tends to blow out highlights, especially when you are in the water on a bright day. I actually sent my first EasyShare Sport back to Amazon.com because the problem was so bad that I couldn't get a good picture of someone just standing in my driveway after 2pm on a sunny day. The second one is much better, but the highlights are still blown in about 65% of my water shots, which is kind of annoying. I think the reflection off the water is the main culprit, so I'm not sure that much can be done although next time I will try using the exposure compensation feature when I go in the water on a bright day.

In every other situation, thought, the camera works great. I got some fantastic pictures of my kids underwater at the indoor pool. Outdoor "dry" shots are pretty good, too. The overall photo quality is not awesome, but unless you're looking for blue ribbons or you print a lot of images at 8x10 or greater, I don't think you're really going to notice. And don't forget that without this camera (or one like it) you wouldn't have these underwater/in water photos at all, so a few blown highlights are really not a big deal compared to missing all those great shots altogether.
on June 29, 2011
I bought this camera specifically for a trip to Cabo. It took some good pictures on my fishing trip but water penetrated the body in 2 feet of water later. I have never written a review on Amazon but was moved to do so by my experience with this camera. I was able to access the pictures from my card after drying it but the camera is now worthless. This camera may be okay if you treat it as "water resistant" but I would not submerge it.
1010 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2011
I was looking for an inexpensive small waterproof camera for my recent trip to the Caribbean especially to capture snorkling with the sting rays in Great Turk (see video). I was considering getting a waterproof case for my "good" camera but didn't want to risk ANY leakages thus ruining the entire camera.

I bought this for $61 w/Free shipping from Amazon and got it quickly, tried it in my pool 1st and worked great. It felt weird putting it in water at first since it looks like a land digital camera. It was fantastic and easy to use. As a matter of fact I started to use it on land on vacation as well because the pictures were all sharp and clear. There are land and water settings for video as well as special "scenes" which I tried and found to work great as well. I bought a long lanyard to hang it off of my neck while snorkeling (the wrist strap is not practical).

The only negative thing which was not a factor for disliking this camera was that it is a little hard to see the screen and controls when underwater, but if you take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the settings it is not that big of a deal. Aim the camera to what you want to take pictures of.. it's digital so shoot a lot! The color may shift a bit if sun glare gets in lense, not often though. I bought an inexpensive cloth case at a local store to protect the lense which does not have a cover.

People.. if the camera leaks at all, it means it is defective and just return it for another one! Do test it BEFORE you actually need it to see how it works. I've shown many people all my photos and videos at work and wished I could get some commission for how many were purchased because of that. This camera totally met all of my expectations.
on August 14, 2011
It only worked for four days. We purchased this camera to take pictures of our 18 month old son and his first trip to the beach. We used it in the ocean and pool. It was always attached to my wrist while in the water. We didn't use it to go snorkeling or diving to great depths. We used it to take pictures while playing in the water. The four days it worked it produced great pictures and videos but while in the pool one day I picked it up to take a picture of my son and it wouldn't turn on. Upon further inspection we found there was water in the battery case. The battery case was never opened so I have no idea how this happened other than poor quality. Luckily the water didn't effect our memory card and we were able to salvage that, but the camera no longer works and I am returning it.
on October 26, 2011
Purchased this less than one month ago to take snorkeling in Mexico. We got it into the water, less than 3-feet, the camera would not operate. Once we exited the water, we found the camera was infiltrated by water. The screen viewer had water as did the battery and SD card compartment. SPEND more money and get a better camera!
on July 15, 2011
I didn't want to wait to get this camera & found one at a Walmart near by me. I paid $85.00 for both the camera & sd card. I took my 2yr old son & his 2yr old best friend swimming yesterday & today. The camera takes great pictures under the water as well as out of the water. It also takes awesome videos. I wish I would have gotten this camera sooner! It's that great! The price is unbeatable! Don't spend more money on a camera & get this one. (original review 2011)

Update 2012: My camera randomly stopped working outside or at the pool (under water), but it will work inside. Totally defeating the purpose of its use for at the pool. I will still buy another when pool weather returns & hope its just a fluke. Then again I did use my camera almost every single day during the summer at the pool, waterpark, & beach. It had worked great for the past 2 summers before it died on our way to the beach :(

Update 2013: I ordered this exact model again at the end of June & received it the day before 4th of July. I took roughly 400 pictures & videos. I went out of town for family vacation & came home to upload all the pictures/videos & it would not upload!. I love this lil camara, but soon realized that I received model 135 (the newest model) & not model 123 (the one that I had ordered). Amazon is wonderful & said that they would refund my money. I still have no idea how to get my pictures/videos off my sd card. All my summer memories :( BEWARE that KODAK no longer offers the program to transfer your pictures/videos as it was has. This program is suppose to be built into the camera.
on June 20, 2011
I have now had this camera for three months now. We use it every time we are at the pool, have taken it to the lake, and on a float trip. I have not experienced the lack of "waterproofness" that a couple of reviews did. This camera is great for the price. We used to use disposable waterproof cameras and that gets expensive fast so we decided to give this a shot. Love it. It has already paid for itself. There is "fog" every so often, but that is actually water drops on the lens (at least in our case). The video is great too, considering we never had it in the water before! All in all, this camera should NOT replace your other cameras. Take it for what it is... a fun addition to summer and water. And in this day and age, it is super easy to return a broken product, so even with the couple complaints, it is still worth buying... in MY opinion ;)
on June 28, 2011
Fun camera - we bought it in May and it is now July and water is starting to seep into the camera with each use. After each use we remove the batteries and the card to let it dry out, the good news it that it does continue to work even with the water entering the camera.
on October 30, 2011
I bought this camera a few months ago and finally got around to uploading the photos I took...and the picture quality is TERRIBLE...I can't believe this is a 12mp camera. We purchased it when our 4 yr old Olympus waterproof died. We didn't want to get an expensive replacement @ this time (as we have 2 Nikon SLR digitals and just needed something to carry around for everyday use), but we should have bit the bullet and stuck with the Olympus. We took pictures at a water park (outside no flash) and some of the pictures were dark and those that weren't had drops of water on the lense, so that created a spot. (this never happened with our olympus and we used it in the water many times). The pictures we took inside w/the flash were grainy and every person in the pictures had red eye.

I wouldn't recommend this camera to anyone who's interested in picture quality.