Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kodak EasyShare ZD710 Digital Camera, 7.1 Megapixel, 10x Optical + 5x Digital Zoom
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on August 8, 2008
My husband bought this camera for me as a Christmas gift in December 2007. It still works great, takes wonderful pictures, and I love it. This is a great camera for anyone who wants to get into taking photos but isn't sure if they are ready yet to drop the serious cash you need to when you buy a "real" professional camera.

The drawbacks: My lens cap doesn't stay on very well. It's hard to find accessories. Zoom doesn't get you quite close enough to take really close up shots and as I mentioned above, accessories (such as lenses) are hard to find. When you do find them, they are way too expensive to purchase for a camera that wasn't very expensive. It's not worth buying lenses and such for this camera. Once you are ready to take the next step in your photography, save up and buy a professional camera. Until then, enjoy the crisp and clear photographs you can get with this little gem!
on September 29, 2015
I've really liked this camera. I've had it for a number of years now. It can take some truly great pictures. I added a few to this post. Its not a DSLR and you'll notice its limitations in that regard fairly quickly. But if you can't afford one like me this camera is great route to go. I would recommend getting the nice batteries for this camera. This thing chews through Double AA' like its nobodies business. ANyhow, I would recommend this camera.
review image review image review image
on March 9, 2014
I bought this used online for $50 over 5 years ago and it has never once let me down. With the generous pixel format, if you're good at Gimp/Photoshop you will be able to take pics like a pro. My model had no rechargeable battery, but I bought a CR-V3 rechargeable for a few buck online and it works fine.

I would only have one warning, and it may be because of my ignorance. I have found no way to use it as the prime focus of a telephoto lens. I can set aperture priority as per normal proceedure, but when I attach the camera to a lens (Meade ETX-90) the camera insists on taking a picture of the inside of the lens, not looking through the lens at infinity. In the PASM mode there is an explicit over-ride for infinity which I have set. I have the f/ratio at 2.5 and all the settings look nominal.

FWIW, I can hold the camera up to the eyepiece (the eyepiece is removed and a t-adapter with no lens attached when using the lens' prime focus) and, except for vignetting and being *very* difficult to do as one must hold it, that works. Of course if you're doing astrophotography that isn't going to work with the long exposure times (up to 8 seconds).
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2007
The Kodak EasyShare ZD710 combines a seven megapixel CCD imager and a Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon-branded 10x optical zoom lens with a very useful 38 - 380mm equivalent focal range. The ZD710 offers digital image stabilization, which prevent blurs due to camera shake. For framing images, the Kodak ZD710 has a 2.0" 150K pixel LCD display as well as a higher resolution 201K pixel electronic viewfinder. Images are stored on SDHC/SD/MMC memory cards, or in 32MB of internal memory.

The Kodak ZD710 has 16 scene modes to help beginners achieve the results they're looking for without the need to understand subtleties like shutter speeds, apertures and the like. Scene modes provided are: portrait, sports, landscape, candlelight, night portrait, night landscape, snow, beach, text, fireworks, flower, manner/museum, self-portrait, children, backlight and sunset. But the ZD710 offers additional exposure modes sure to please the enthusiast, including P (program), A (aperture priority), S (shutter priority), M (manual), smart scene, high ISO, digital image stabilization and panorama. The ZD710 determines exposures with a TTL metering system offering multi-pattern, center-weighted and spot modes, and offers 2.0EV of exposure compensation in 1/3EV increments. Five white balance settings are available including an auto mode, and ISO sensitivity can be set to Auto, 80, 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1,600, all at full resolution. The EasyShare ZD710 also offers a movie mode, capturing VGA (640x480) or QVGA (320x240) clips at 30 fps, both with audio. Movies are encoded in QuickTime Motion-JPEG format.

Images and movies captured on the Kodak ZD710 are transferred to your computer over a USB 2.0 Full Speed connection, rather slower than the USB 2.0 High Speed connections offered on many cameras these days. Power comes from two AA batteries (NiMH, lithium, or oxy-alkaline), a CRV3 disposable lithium, or an optional KODAK KAA2HR NiMH rechargeable battery pack. The ZD710 ships with a disposable lithium battery.
review image review image review image
on December 7, 2009
I bought this on "Black Friday" 2007 and it is a good camera. I'm now selling it because of a few things. The first being personal, although I don't mind the size, I found that I take less pictures because of it's larger body. Second because of the shorter battery life, and third being the lag time. That stuff is in all of the other reviews. Now that I read these other reviews and see that it's holding it's price I almost want to keep it. The optical stuff is great and it does take awesome crisp pictures! It shows almost no signs of wear and tear after 2 years. The body is very lightweight, but it is sturdy. And yes the lens cap comes off all the time, so what. I found a case that fits the camera and extra batteries perfectly. Samsonite is the name on it it is square-ish in shape and has zipper closure with velcro. They were seen at Wal-marts everywhere! Not hard to find. The display looks a little grainy, but I assure you that the pictures come out fabulous!

To comment on some other reviewer's problems with the LCD screen turning off. I had this problem only when batteries were almost dead. And for a while I thought it was broken for good. However I was smart enough to find a little button after putting in new batteries that turned it back on and I have never had a problem since. I assume that I pushed the button by accident while taking a picture, very frustrating, but easily solved. Turn your LCD back on!
on February 1, 2011
Ok, I had the previous version of this camera and after taking back a Nikon Coolpix P100 and L110 I have decided to buy this one again. People swear by the Nikons and the pics just aren't that good. Yes, the time between pics is long, but the autofocus is better than any other camera I have tried so at least the pic will be crystal clear. The Nikons are fast, but every pic was blurry. So it is worth the wait!

As for the battery life - there is an easy way to solve that. Buy digital camera batteries instead of regular alkaline. They are like $4 each on Amazon ($8 at Target), but they last for like 4 months and I take a million pics with 4 kids and being an avid scrapbooker.

I love how the lens pops up and the lens cap pops off. makes for grabbing your camera and catching a photo of your little one super fast. Hated the Nikon when the lens cap was on and you would go to turn it on and then you would have to turn the camera back off, take the cap off and then turn it back off. Doesn't work so well with catching toddlers into mischief.

It is really not that big compared to other cameras and really does take the best family pics for just someone who likes candid shots and a reasonable priced camera. I do not normally write reviews, but had to in this case.
on January 10, 2011
Kodak NiMH rechargeable batteries (1.2V) don't last long in this camera. They take just a few pics before the camera shows low battery even though a simple battery tester will show them as still fully charged. Likely disposable alkaline or lithium batteries will work better but alkalines at least won't last long, creating a lot of waste.

An alternative is PowerGenix NiZn rechargeable batteries (1.6V) PowerGenix ZR-PGX5HRAA-4B, 3-5-Hour Fast Charger with 4 AA 1.6v High Voltage Rechargeable Batteries (Green). They're reported to work well in an unidentified EasyShare camera model in a review called "PowerGenix batteries - TOOLS YOU CAN USE" at thebdr.net. Amazon customer reviews of these batteries suggest their life may sometimes be limited to tens of recharge cycles so it may be better to use the 3-5 hour charger rather than the 1 hour charger since the life of some batteries is shortened when they're recharged in 1 hour. The hydrogen venting of these batteries discussed in the Amazon customer reviews means they shouldn't be kept in a tightly sealed container.

The PowerGenix batteries worked initially without damaging the electronics of our ZD710 and they've performed well for us so far.
on July 22, 2008
Yes, this is an inexpensive little camera but it has a good deal of features. You will have a lot of fun with it. I love how it takes fast pictures. I can catch some pretty good in-action photos of my kids, indoors and out without changing settings. My photos are very sharp. Colors look true. My only problems with this camera are the lens cap not clicking in place and the battery life. If you use the Kodak brand battery for this camera its great.. I can go a long time with those but try to use AA batteries and you wont get an hour out of them. Its worth it to buy Kodak. Even the off brand arent as good as Kodak.
The camera is small and sturdy and it has a good size display in the back. Buttons are easy to reach, settings are easy to figure out. Strap is nice. Excellent buy for a cheap camera! Lots better than most more expensive ones.
on April 27, 2015
Can anyone help me try to figure out why my camera won't stay on. I've bought 3 different types of batteries and it still won't stay on. Is there another way to charge this camera. Someone please help!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 26, 2008
This was a great camera while it worked. I had it barely six months when it suddenly stopped turning on properly. Too much time to return it to the store, too expensive to throw away, took to camera repair shops. Two out of three told me they do not repair Kodak any longer because Kodak does not support their own products. Turn around time was longer than six months and that was only if Kodak had the part needed in stock. The third place would accept it but themselves advised against it stating the diagnoses fee would not be worth paying knowing how poorly Kodak responds to repair problems. I now own a very expensive paperweight.