Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

This review is for Kodak EasyShare C813 8.2MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom, This camera is no frills easy to use point and shoot camera which I consider good if you pay less than $100.

Remember Digital camera such as this does not come with SD/SDHC Memory card, The Internal 16MB memory is good only for 3-4 pictures, So you must always consider the cost of SD/SDHC memory card and a good set of Sanyo 2,700 mAh AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries (4-Pack) into the cost before you make your decision in buying it.

With careful shopping around (online and local superstores), you can get the camera and much needed accessories reviewed here for the price quoted above.

PROS:

[+} Very good pictures
[+} Captures in HD resolution for 16:9 enhanced HDTV's
[+] Decent startup time, fast control response and silent operation.
[+] Easy to use with preset scene modes and dedicated Macro mode
[+] Captures pictures upto 1250 ISO for those truly dark long exposure shoots
[+] Better LCD preview than my other Fujifilm Finepix A900 9MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom reviewed here.
[+] Works with SD/SDHC like Patriot PSF8GSDHC6 8GB Class6 Secured Digital SDHC Card without any firmware updates!

CONS:

[-] A picture when magnified looks grainier than my other FujiFlim Fine Pix A900 with side by side comparison of the same subject in focus.
[-] A picture when compared with other cameras of this price range looks slightly overexposed but with exposure compensation we can deal with that issue.
[-] A lot of plastic all around, No optical View Finder
[-] Uses only two AA Batteries hence battery life is average, better buy High Capacity NiMH rechargeable and carry a set just in case you need them.
[-] The Movies are made in *.MOV which can be seen only with ITUNES or QuickTime application installed on Windows based PC or natively in Apple Computers.
[-] 640x480 is at 15frames/sec 320x480 is at 30frames/sec with audio.
[-] Slightly bigger when compared to today's world of miniature Digital camera products.

Kodak EasyShare C813 8.2MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom is a product with mixed bags of goodies and some quirks, however for a casual user none of the cons mentioned above does really matter if you can find this camera for a bargain price! Go get it!
66 comments102 of 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2008
I bought this camera for several important occasions this summer. I took it to my son's officer school military graduation. All was fine until noontime on a sunny day when the squadrons were on parade. Trying to take pictures outside, I discovered all that I could see on the screen was my own reflection. I could not correctly aim the camera as the event unfolded. There is no viewfinder. I had pictures of the tops of peoples heads, the ground, etc, because I couldn't see what I was aiming at. Later I called Kodak. They suggested the beach setting, the snow setting, etc. Nothing made a difference outside in sunlight. I liked the camera very much, but because I take many pictures outside, I was forced to return it. If only Kodak would add a viewfinder like my previous Easyshare DX 4330 had. Reviews I had read did not mention this problem. Most of my inside pictures were fine. I also bought the dock, which I now cannot use, and rechargeable batteries. The camera would only work in the dock with the battery pack that came with the camera. Even though the camera itself will work with Kodak rechargeable batteries, the dock cannot sense it unless the dual pack that came with the camera is inside when you want to transfer pictures.Kodak EasyShare C813 8.2MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom
44 comments55 of 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 19, 2008
I wanted something simple for my daughter and son to use that wasn't overly expensive. The salesman told me that this camera took great pictures. We have taken pictures in every mode that is offered and so far, I can say that it definitely does NOT take great pictures. If you are only interested in capturing a moment but aren't really concerned with quality, this camera should be fine. Otherwise, I wish now that I had just gone ahead and bought a more expensive one. I already had a 5 megapixel EasyShare, so I assumed the newer 8 megapixel would be a huge improvement. I am highly disappointed in the grainy quality of these pictures.
0Comment24 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2008
This summer I was looking for a good, yet inexpensive digital camera. I agonized over which camera to buy, but finally was forced to purchase the Kodak EasyShare C813 due to its low price. When I received it in the mail, there was a significant lack of excitement as it was not my first choice.

After using it to take well over 300 pictures so far, I am actually very happy I purchased this camera. The time between the button press and the actual picture being taken is almost nonexistent. The camera uses AA batters, however after all the pictures I have taken, I still have not had to recharge my 2500 mAh Ni-MH rechargable batteries. Not to mention the picture quality being much better than I had anticipated.

When I installed the Kodak Easyshare software that came with the camera, my computer froze several times over the first three or four days I had it, forcing me to restart it several times. After those trying few days, however, I have not had any problems with it.

I am very happy with my camera purchase, despite the software problems, and would definitely recommend this camera to other cost-minded individuals looking to purchase a decent digital camera.
on August 19, 2008
I bought one of the Kodak C813's and returned it for a Samsung S860 for the same price.
The Kodak's pictures were very grainy and the battery life is very short on a set of batteries.

The EasyShare software was the only way Windows could see the camera. Fedora 8 did detect it with no problems. Hated to be locked into the EasyShare software.

The Samsung S860 does a much better job. It shows up as a USB drive to Windows XP and you can preview images and copy them with no problem without loading any software. The S860 also has many more functions (such as voice notes for the photo) and settings.

Don't waste your money on the C813!
44 comments27 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2008
I bought this camera for casual picture taking of friends and family, and I am surprised at the picture quality for such a low-priced camera. If you want a digital camera and you are on a budget, I highly recommend this item.
Its very easy to use, easy to transfer to your computer or printer, it's just easy. Kudos Kodak!
on October 14, 2008
...if I could. I purchased two of these cameras four months ago. Neither worked--they would not power on, which apparently is a common problem with this model. So I sent them to Kodak under the warranty--THREE TIMES. They kept sending back non-functioning cameras. Now I have #s 7 and 8 sitting on my porch waiting to be picked up yet again. They've been sitting there for 10 days and I doubt Kodak will pick them up. Kodak is not honoring their warranty. I even bought a new one from a camera store and it didn't work either. At least I could take that back to the store and get my money back. Kodak is a horrible company to try to deal with. I finally filed for a charge back on my credit card for the cost of the two cameras. Too bad. It used to be a good company.

Update! I finally received two cameras that actually work! Just in time to cancel my chargeback. I did spend $35 for a rechargeable battery and I have to admit that works best, but it does take 2 AAs as it should SOMETIMES, but not always. The rechargeable is doing OK at this time, though. While I don't appreciate having to reward Kodak with another sale, at least our cameras are working now.
66 comments11 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2008
I wanted a good quality digital camera to take on vacation. This was my answer. The pictures, as long as you are using the correct setting for the lighting, are crisp and clear. I was very pleased with the multiple capabilities of this camera. Would definately recommend it to others. I would offer some tip[s though, get a good set of rechargable batteries, know that this camera does not have an external speaker to hear your movie audio straight from the camera (you have to wait until you upload the movies to your PC), and be mindful of which settings work with each situation. But all around, I love my Kodak!
on November 2, 2008
I bought this camera (pink colored) from a local store. When I opened the camera it didn't work correctly and instead of just trying to return it to the store I followed the instructions inside the package stating that I shouldn't return the camera to the store and instead should contact Kodak support. HUGE MISTAKE! I was directed to send the camera to a repair facility (at my own cost I might add) and told they would fix it and send it back. I received a letter from the repair facility stating that they couldn't fix the camera and that Kodak would send me a replacement camera. Kodak indeed sent me a different camera; one that was refurbished and a different color. I specifically bought the camera because it was pink as I already have a silver one. I called Kodak customer service which was another joke. I could barely hear or understand the people. In addition, I was told that they had no pink in the C813 so I was out of luck. They told me the had a cheaper model C713 in pink that they could send me instead. I asked for a refund since this isn't what I had originally purchased and they told me they couldn't do that, that only the store I had purchased it from could've provided me with a refund but since I followed their instructions (sending the camera in for repair), I no longer have the original camera to return in order to get a refund!!!! I looked on this website for a refurbished C813 in pink and what do you know, they have one!! When I pointed this out to the guy on the phone, he told me that this website and the warehouse where they were sending my replacement from were two different entities and therefore I still couldn't get the camera I wanted. So in the end, my options were to either keep the silver one that I didn't want or suck it up and take the cheaper one in pink. I really wanted a pink one, so I'm out the $10 price difference, the difference in camera features and the original cost of shipping the camera for repair. They did arrange for UPS to pick up the old camera at their expense, after I told them I wasn't paying to return a second camera. I guess the moral of my story is that if you buy a camera that doesn't work, insist that the store you bought it from take it back; DO NOT send it to Kodak for repair because who knows what you'll end up with after all is said and done!!
UPDATE: So the pink C713 I was suppose to get never arrived; instead they sent me back the Silver C813. Obviously the communication within Kodak stinks because they thought I sent the C813 in for repair! They returned the camera with a note that stated "we found your camera to be in working order...." when it was in fact suppose to be exchanged for the pink one. AGGGGGHHHH! I give up!!!!
11 comment10 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2008
VERY high quality pictures were made with this camera. I love it. I got mine from Wal Mart in a blue color and it's very nice. But, like all digital cameras, it DRAINS the batteries, like, within an hour. So I recommend getting rechargable batteries. It's the cheapest way to go. Also, this camera doesn't make the best videos, but it's not a video camera and at least it works. But the picture quality is AMAZING and the camera itself is very easy to use and user friendly. It's worth getting.