I remember how excited I was a couple of years ago when I found out that Kodak was going to release a NEW film. That excitement has definitely been justified.

Published on February 16, 2010 by C. Tobar

2.0 out of 5 stars Ektar Does Not Live Up To The Hype
I can understand that Ektar can be unforgiving with under or over-exposures. The question is "Why put up with it?" Even with the correct exposure, there are still very noticeable color shifts. However you shoot, you will notice that accurate colors are not this film's forte.

The reproduction is not unlike the quality that many traditional Kodak users...
Published 7 months ago by vqworks

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect color film for landscape and architectural photos, February 16, 2010
This review is from: Kodak Ektar 100 Professional ISO 100, 35mm, 36 Exposures, Color Negative Film (Electronics)

Ektar 100 captures absolutely beautiful pictures. The grain is razor sharp and the colors are incredible. It has a unique look to it, which I've never seen with any other film (or digital for that matter). The colors are vibrant and saturated, especially red and blue. It's one of my favorite color films now. It's perfect for landscape and architectural photos, or any pictures where you really want the colors to "pop." If you take a picture of something red contrasting against the blue sky, it really jumps...much more so than I've seen with any other film.

Every film has its own unique characteristics and has a certain look. I like using Ektar for when I want kind of a "fresh" vibrant look to pictures, if that makes sense.

I've used Ektar in both 35mm and 120 size rolls.

The only minor complaint I have about Ektar is that it's extremely unforgiving with exposure. This is definitely NOT a film for beginners. It's very picky about exposure, and doesn't handle underexposure well at all. If you underexpose it, you will get some pretty weird color shifts and everything will have kind of a bluish tint. BUT if you use a light meter and you're careful about the exposure, you will get absolutely amazing pictures.

I also recommend that you get your pictures printed (on REAL silver halide photographic paper, not ink jet!) Ektar looks its best in prints, and scans displayed on a computer screen just don't do it justice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb film, but not a replacement for slides, August 21, 2011
KM (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
Since its introduction by Kodak, Ektar 100 has been frequently compared to slide film. While these comparisons are not entirely unwarranted given Ektar's fine grain, saturated colors and heightened contrast, in my opinion it is far from a replacement for slide film as many claim it is.

Given the increasing scarcity of labs offering E6 processing and the rising costs of the process and films, the demand for a C41 film with similar characteristics to slide film has been steady building up. Kodak has been discontinuing their slide film range, and revamping their color negative lineup with updated films like the new Portra 400 and 160. Ektar is Kodak's attempt to address the growing demand for an inexpensive and easily processed alternative to slide film (something they are clear about in their literature).

While the colors captured by Ektar are very pleasantly saturated and punchy, they are a markedly different palette from the colors of films like Velvia 50 or 100, Provia 100F or even Astia 100F. The same goes for latitude or dynamic range. Ektar features more contrast than the average color negative film, but still has significantly more latitude than slide film. These differences in color and contrast do not make any of these films better than the others, it just means that depending on what sort of visual quality a photographer is going for one film may be more suitable than the other.

One of the areas in which Ektar shines is for long-exposure images in high contrast situations such as urban night scenes. Slide films such as Provia 100F have excellent reciprocity characteristics, but can be difficult to work with due to the very wide range of tones in such scenes and the limited latitude of the film. Ektar is able to deliver saturated and contrasty images while retaining a great amount detail in the highlights. The wider latitude of Ektar compared to slides is great for situations where lighting is harsh or precision metering is not practical, though the film does have a bit less latitude than other color negative films such as Portra 400.

In conclusion, this is a great slow speed film for a wide range of subjects, just don't expect to get the same image characteristics as slide film.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a new day, November 10, 2010
Big Fella (Phoenix, Arizona) - See all my reviews
My digital camera decided to break down on me, at the same time I was asked to take photos at an out door concert. So I pulled out my old film camera, and ordered some Kodak film from Amazon. After the shoot, I took my film to be transferred on to disc so I could edit them in Photoshop. When I first viewed the pics in Photoshop, I was truly amazed at how vibrant the color is and the over all depth in each photo. I think I will use this camera more often and not just as a back up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really excellent quality film, great color, great clarity, affordable, January 17, 2013
Josh H-G (Sycamore, IL, USA) - See all my reviews
If you're still shooting 35mm, which some of us are, this film is an excellent choice. I've used a lot of different films over the years, and for a long time was loyal to Fuji.

But this Ektar 100, it's just so nice I'm won back to Kodak.

36 shots for approximately $5 is pretty standard, but for the quality of film, that's a pretty good deal.

As far as my experience with the film: I've used it in my Olympus XA with lovely results, but where I really love it is in panoramic use in my Horizon 202. Gorgeous landscape and architecture colors. Portraits are really nice, but I don't shoot a huge amount of those. Great for the outdoors because it's a 100 speed, but as long as you're fine stabilizing for long exposures indoors, you'll get good results.

Tones are slightly warm, but very balanced. Colors are all-around great.

Clarity and grain is really smooth, really sharp.

If you want to do high-resolution scanning, this is a great film also.

The bottom line is: if you want to shoot film, but you're not interested in the overdone Lomo-style colors and effects, you will probably like Kodak's Ektar 100.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for fashion/portfolio work, May 9, 2010
This film is amazing. If you are shooting with a model or doing formal pix this is the film for you. Here are some suggestions to milk this for all its worth: When you get this developed tell them NO corrections (I ask for a photo cd and edit myself if needed or just use a film scanner) and make sure the sun isn't covered by clouds or you will dull the colors...

5.0 out of 5 stars Brought me back to Film!, July 20, 2010
I bought a roll of this on a whim when I first saw it, I was not impressed with most of my first roll of it, however a couple shots really stood out, so I decided to give it another shot, my second (third, and fourth) rolls however, were mind blowing, super fine details (with no color artifacts unlike my little digital point and shoot), and generally gives me quality that I would get out of a very very expensive SLR, on a EOS Body that set me back a whole 3.95 cents. I would recommend this film to anybody, and I would also agree on the slight over exposure thing, otherwise you can get some weird Green and Blueish shadows in your images.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Color.., September 16, 2010
I just started shooting Analog after being gifted a film camera. I purchased this film not knowing what to expect and I can say that I am love with the color quality of this film. I love high contrast and saturation and this film provides both. Even the whites in my images came out crisp. Enjoy shooting!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with the results, July 16, 2009
Peter Samson (Snohomish, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I've been very happy with the results from this film, and am using the film with a Leica M3. I've seen some complaints on a Leica discussion site where people have had bad results with the film, but there are indications it may be due to the processing lab/company not developing the film as specified.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have seen the light, March 26, 2012
Back in the 80's and 90's I shot Ektar when I could get my hands on it and the results were great. Then my camera died and then life got in the way so I stopped shooting. Now that I have a selection of "good" cameras I started shooting every Kodak film I could get my hands on.

The first time I tried Ektar 100 I was disappointed with the results, I have every bad thing that you read about Ektar doing happen to me and I just decided to move on to another film. A few weeks later I noticed that a roll of film I had shot looked different than I was used to and when I asked at the place I got my processing done they told me that they had the machine software updated so I had another roll of Ektar and decided to try it again. WOW! What a difference that made. I shoot a mix of Portra, UltraMAX, Tmax and TriX but now Ektar is in my Rotation a lot more than I would have ever thought it would be. Super fine grain and great color. No one has mentioned this, but Ektar stomps digital with it's ability to go from camera to print without a stop in Photoshop for correction.

I have used Ektar in bright sun, with flash, and in the evening without flash with no problems these days. This film can do really great things.

5.0 out of 5 stars It made me cry with joy!, September 19, 2012
I have been a DSLR user who thought film was dead, and there is no comparison between film and digital, as digital will win. Then came Kodak Ektar 100. I am now sold on film. Kodak Ektar 100 is by far the best film for color photography out there. It gives amazing contrast, crisp detal, great colors, and the grain is nearly non-existent. It makes my DSLR seem obsolete. I did a comparison shots between my DSLR and SLR with Ektar 100, and I favored the detail of Ektar. Like one reviewer said, it is not a film for beginners though. You can't just shoot it and expect it to come out great. Know your lighting, and this film will work like nothing else. with that said though, you will not find a digital camera in the world that can produce the results of Ektar without first post processing the images from RAW. I am planning on buying some more to stockpile this lovely film.

Rate and Discover Movies