Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Package Quantity: 1Style Name: YellowChange
Price:$8.31+ Free shipping

on February 16, 2010
I remember how excited I was a couple of years ago when I found out that Kodak was going to release a NEW film. That excitement has definitely been justified.

Ektar 100 captures absolutely beautiful pictures. The grain is razor sharp and the colors are incredible. It has a unique look to it, which I've never seen with any other film (or digital for that matter). The colors are vibrant and saturated, especially red and blue. It's one of my favorite color films now. It's perfect for landscape and architectural photos, or any pictures where you really want the colors to "pop." If you take a picture of something red contrasting against the blue sky, it really jumps...much more so than I've seen with any other film.

Every film has its own unique characteristics and has a certain look. I like using Ektar for when I want kind of a "fresh" vibrant look to pictures, if that makes sense.

I've used Ektar in both 35mm and 120 size rolls.

The only minor complaint I have about Ektar is that it's extremely unforgiving with exposure. This is definitely NOT a film for beginners. It's very picky about exposure, and doesn't handle underexposure well at all. If you underexpose it, you will get some pretty weird color shifts and everything will have kind of a bluish tint. BUT if you use a light meter and you're careful about the exposure, you will get absolutely amazing pictures.

I also recommend that you get your pictures printed (on REAL silver halide photographic paper, not ink jet!) Ektar looks its best in prints, and scans displayed on a computer screen just don't do it justice.
44 comments62 of 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 21, 2011
Since its introduction by Kodak, Ektar 100 has been frequently compared to slide film. While these comparisons are not entirely unwarranted given Ektar's fine grain, saturated colors and heightened contrast, in my opinion it is far from a replacement for slide film as many claim it is.

Given the increasing scarcity of labs offering E6 processing and the rising costs of the process and films, the demand for a C41 film with similar characteristics to slide film has been steady building up. Kodak has been discontinuing their slide film range, and revamping their color negative lineup with updated films like the new Portra 400 and 160. Ektar is Kodak's attempt to address the growing demand for an inexpensive and easily processed alternative to slide film (something they are clear about in their literature).

While the colors captured by Ektar are very pleasantly saturated and punchy, they are a markedly different palette from the colors of films like Velvia 50 or 100, Provia 100F or even Astia 100F. The same goes for latitude or dynamic range. Ektar features more contrast than the average color negative film, but still has significantly more latitude than slide film. These differences in color and contrast do not make any of these films better than the others, it just means that depending on what sort of visual quality a photographer is going for one film may be more suitable than the other.

One of the areas in which Ektar shines is for long-exposure images in high contrast situations such as urban night scenes. Slide films such as Provia 100F have excellent reciprocity characteristics, but can be difficult to work with due to the very wide range of tones in such scenes and the limited latitude of the film. Ektar is able to deliver saturated and contrasty images while retaining a great amount detail in the highlights. The wider latitude of Ektar compared to slides is great for situations where lighting is harsh or precision metering is not practical, though the film does have a bit less latitude than other color negative films such as Portra 400.

In conclusion, this is a great slow speed film for a wide range of subjects, just don't expect to get the same image characteristics as slide film.
0Comment39 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 10, 2010
My digital camera decided to break down on me, at the same time I was asked to take photos at an out door concert. So I pulled out my old film camera, and ordered some Kodak film from Amazon. After the shoot, I took my film to be transferred on to disc so I could edit them in Photoshop. When I first viewed the pics in Photoshop, I was truly amazed at how vibrant the color is and the over all depth in each photo. I think I will use this camera more often and not just as a back up.
0Comment24 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 17, 2013
If you're still shooting 35mm, which some of us are, this film is an excellent choice. I've used a lot of different films over the years, and for a long time was loyal to Fuji.

But this Ektar 100, it's just so nice I'm won back to Kodak.

36 shots for approximately $5 is pretty standard, but for the quality of film, that's a pretty good deal.

As far as my experience with the film: I've used it in my Olympus XA with lovely results, but where I really love it is in panoramic use in my Horizon 202. Gorgeous landscape and architecture colors. Portraits are really nice, but I don't shoot a huge amount of those. Great for the outdoors because it's a 100 speed, but as long as you're fine stabilizing for long exposures indoors, you'll get good results.

Tones are slightly warm, but very balanced. Colors are all-around great.

Clarity and grain is really smooth, really sharp.

If you want to do high-resolution scanning, this is a great film also.

The bottom line is: if you want to shoot film, but you're not interested in the overdone Lomo-style colors and effects, you will probably like Kodak's Ektar 100.
on May 9, 2010
This film is amazing. If you are shooting with a model or doing formal pix this is the film for you. Here are some suggestions to milk this for all its worth: When you get this developed tell them NO corrections (I ask for a photo cd and edit myself if needed or just use a film scanner) and make sure the sun isn't covered by clouds or you will dull the colors...
on December 1, 2014
Worked great! Picture quality is superb! Just wish it would make miracles with my photography skills
review image
on July 20, 2010
I bought a roll of this on a whim when I first saw it, I was not impressed with most of my first roll of it, however a couple shots really stood out, so I decided to give it another shot, my second (third, and fourth) rolls however, were mind blowing, super fine details (with no color artifacts unlike my little digital point and shoot), and generally gives me quality that I would get out of a very very expensive SLR, on a EOS Body that set me back a whole 3.95 cents. I would recommend this film to anybody, and I would also agree on the slight over exposure thing, otherwise you can get some weird Green and Blueish shadows in your images.
on July 16, 2009
I've been very happy with the results from this film, and am using the film with a Leica M3. I've seen some complaints on a Leica discussion site where people have had bad results with the film, but there are indications it may be due to the processing lab/company not developing the film as specified.
11 comment13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2014
I never thought I'd go so wild over a colour film, since I primarily shoot black and white when I shoot film. But Ektar 100, Kodak's latest colour film, had to go and prove me wrong. Tack-sharp images with minimal grain, plus that distinctive film look, are the highlight of shooting with this film. This film is quite saturated compared to Portra, although for the landscape work I enjoy shooting that's a plus. Since it's a negative film rather than a reversal film, it's easy to shoot fully manually in the old film SLRs I love working with since it has the exposure latitude to pull it off.

The grain is finer than Ilford Pan F Plus, but only by a hair, and it's far easier to scan with ICE/FARE scanners. As designed by Kodak, it scans extremely well.

The colour saturation makes Ektar a poor choice for people pictures especially with fair-skinned people (it will make them look quite pinkish); use Portra if you're taking pictures with people in them. Ektar will be my go-to colour film for landscape shooting for the foreseeable future; for myself, only Fuji Velvia would come close in quality terms.
review image review image
on September 16, 2010
I just started shooting Analog after being gifted a film camera. I purchased this film not knowing what to expect and I can say that I am love with the color quality of this film. I love high contrast and saturation and this film provides both. Even the whites in my images came out crisp. Enjoy shooting!!