Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon May 16, 2002
... I would dare to say the photo-finishing lab has a lot to do with the results you see. I was horrified by one lab I tried recently. Incompetence in the lab can totally ruin your prized shots. As always, it's best to shoot a test roll or two and make sure you don't photograph anything you can't reshoot later. Test a new lab the same way, with photos that can be redone.
Keep this film cool. Refrigerate unopened rolls and let them aclimate before using. Try to load your camera in as much darkness as you can achieve. Process this film as soon as you can, after shooting. Leaving the film sitting around or in heat will cause the dyes to deteriorate. If you need to travel by air, ask for a hand-inspection at the airport. Don't pack this film in checked luggage. It is more sensitive to X-Ray equipment than an average film.
This film actually has a better grain index (48) than Kodak's professional negative film (Portra - index 50) at a 4.4 magnification, ISO 800. (I haven't seen any other index value data from Kodak for this film, so I can't comment about larger print sizes.)
If you need a fast color film for poor lighting conditions or for action photos, this is a good film. It is not as good in controlled lighting situations as the Portra or Supra or even Royal Gold films at lower ISO ratings. If you need the speed and don't intend to enlarge beyond 5x, this film is perfect. If you need to enlarge beyond that, the grain becomes more and more apparent. In photography, as in every other endeavor, choose the right tool for the job. Film is a very important tool for serious photography. Don't depend on just one type of film.
on February 21, 2002
I have used this film for years--with both my older point and shoot Cannon 135 Zoom and my current Nikon N65. The fact that it is a higher speed film makes it very versatile for all types of situations I shoot in--indoors, outdoors, low light, beach photography, fast-action sporting events, etc. I have not had a problem with graininess but I have not blown pictures up past 11x14 size. I have shot approximately 200+ rolls with this film and my lab has never had to color-correct my film. I wonder if some people who use this film and have had problems with graininess have more of a problem with their camera or photo processing lab than it is with the film. This film can be used in all types of situations and I will keep using it with confidence!
on April 16, 2001
I absolutely love the Kodak 800 Max film! I use it exclusively for all my film needs. I have a Pentax SLR camera with a 35-300 zoom lens. The quality of pictures that I get out of this film is amazing. Great colors, great details in all lighting conditions. I take a lot of pictures indoors (at school programs in extrememly difficult lighting situations) and quite frequently I am the only one who gets the shots of the kids. Outdoors the color saturation is excellent.
I get my film developed at a custom photo lab (not a chain or department store) and the developer says he rarely ever has to use color correction on this film. In fact he recommends it to many of his customers who use a zoom lens.
on April 23, 2013
I'm having a hard time finding this locally and even online. Not impossible, but not readily available. This makes me fear it might be in a phaseout by Kodak. I've stocked up my freezer full of a few Kodak emulsions, and while this isn't necessarily my favorite (Ektar for color, Tri-X for B&W), it's one of the most versatile stocks particularly with Lomo cameras. Great latitude is very important with the 'toy' cameras and this has it. Good color and noticeable-but-sharp grain, which adds to the charm. It's not officially discontinued, but it probably isn't a bad idea to save up just in case.
on August 29, 2011
As it becomes harder and harder to find KODAK film (even locally just 50 miles from the home of KODAK) it's nice to know that I can still find it here, and at a great price! Product was just as described, and arrived very quickly. I'll be back for more!
on October 24, 2010
I still shoot film and find that Kodak Gold Max 800 is a great film. Good color saturation and the grain is fine. This film way outshines Fuji 800.

It's getting close to the time that Gold 800 will be disappearing. I think I read that Fuji 800z is already gone. For low light color photography and even daytime (with a fast shutter and small aperture) you will get some great pictures from this film.

Many of the single-use wedding cameras are loaded with Gold 800. My wife bought 16 Fuji wedding cams and I ran out and got 8 more Kodaks for my daughter's wedding in 2009. Guess what? The Kodak's came out great and the Fuji's just stank.

Most people don't know how to use a traditional camera anymore and I noticed the guests at the wedding were holding the cameras out at arms length like they would an iPhone. Made me laugh that they didn't even know how to use the viewfinder.

So, many shaky and tilted pictures, again, the Kodak Gold 800 won the challenge.

I'm off to the drugstore now to pick up today's Gold 800 photos.
on October 6, 2014
I didn't even know they still sold 35 mm film. lol! Glad they do. Found an old 35mm camera and wanted to show my teenage daughter the old school way of taking pics. Can't wait to see what she thinks of not being able to see the pictures until after they are developed... Haven't used it yet, but Kodak film was always what I used to use "back in the day"... Man, I feel old. lol!
on September 15, 2014
Great film - I will only make one WARNING. Nothing against the film - but don't order film online during SUMMER! the tempeture of the film is important and all the film I bought was basically damaged because of how hot it got in my mail box. Nothing against the maker - it's totally MY fault. But just a warning.
on July 18, 2013
The film works great for when you want to photo inside but don't want to be obnoxious with a flash. So glad I can still get it somewhere. Kodak is really turning its back on the film `devotees'- Fuji's stuff if junk in comparison- gives a muddy picture compared to Kodak.
on February 6, 2014
This film didn't work very well for me. I put it in my Canon Rebel 35mm camera and took it to a horse show. It was a semi-cloudy day which I thought would be great for photos, but they came out light and faded-looking. It might have been my camera, but other photos (400) I have taken with it turned out just fine.