5.0 out of 5 stars Above average starter all in one
I am very impressed that Kodak is still making quality printers with ink that won't break the bank. I believe the print quality in draft, for letters, is as good as the AIO 5500 I own while set to normal.
Pros: (I chose the USB connection) fast printing, duplexing, inexpensive ink, very good quality printing, easy to set up (except for a software glitch).
Cons:...
Published on October 1, 2011 by Steven E. Halsey

1.0 out of 5 stars Important - This is what they do not tell you on the package
BUYER BEWARE! There are two very large problems with this product.

Published on April 16, 2012 by Katie L. Byroads

1.0 out of 5 stars Important - This is what they do not tell you on the package, April 16, 2012
This review is from: Kodak HERO 5.1 Wireless Color Printer with Scanner & Copier (Office Product)
BUYER BEWARE! There are two very large problems with this product.

1. Even if you put the print settings on black and white, this printer will still use color ink. Customer service will tell you it enhances the print quality. That is true, but the reality is, it uses color ink faster then black ink when you print a black text document in black and white. Color cartridges are three times the price of black cartidges.

2. When you run out of color ink, because you are printing in "black and white," the printer will no longer print. You must replace the empty color ink cartridge before you can print anything else. You can have a full cartridge of black ink and select "black and white" and the printer still will not function until you replace the color cartridge.

What does this mean. Every time you print, you use color. Every time you use color you run out. Everytime you run out of color, you have to buy more color before you can continue printing. THIS IS ALL WHILE PRINTING A TEXT DOCUMENT IN "BALCK AND WHITE."

The choice is up to you, but the first time this printer left me in a bind, I decided to return it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Above average starter all in one, October 1, 2011
Cons: The two I know of, 1) the setup CD does not work, you must log on to the Kodak site and download the newest version of Kodak Home Center, 2) If scanning books, or anything of thickness, that would require the scanner lid to lie flat, you may be disappointed. The lid has a basic hinge which is not adjustable.

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRIBLE PRINTER! DO NOT BUY!!, May 21, 2012
I have had this printer for several months. It was great at first but then started to realize that even if you don't use the color ink and only print in greyscale black & white majority of the time the color ink runs out faster than the black ink. Now I have to buy a color ink cartridge every 1 to 2 weeks just to print in black & white for my ebay shipping labels. If you run out of either ink the printer does not allow you to print at all. Kodak advertises that their ink is way cheaper than every one elses which is true but you buy the ink twice as much as any other printer on the market. Then today My black ink cartiridge needed to be replaced. I bought a new cartridge and it would not print at all. The pages all came out blank. I went to the store and exchanged the cartridge for a new one and still the same problem. After tinkering with it for a while and trying the calibration and cleaning the nozzle options still nothing. And on top of it all the color ink went from full to empty when the whole time the pages were coming out blank! There is no way the color ink could possibly be empty! Because it says the color cartridge was empty I had to go back to the store for a 3rd time to buy another color ink cartridge to get back home and still yet again have all my pages come out blank. I called Kodak and got no help from anybody there all I can do is pay to have the printer shipped to them for repair.. No Thanks! I will go out and buy a better printer! Who cares if the ink is more expensive with another brand.. at least it will last way longer and save me money in the long run!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ink Hostage, June 4, 2012
The printer has great functions. It was liberating to have a copier function. The greatest downsize to this Hero 5.1. is once the unit decides you are out of ink, there is nothing you can do to override it and you are held hostage to wait for new ink to arrive in the mail. With our old HP photojet printer, you can continue to print even if it tells you are out of ink. When printing pages for homework, it's ok to print up questions that are lighter in color, we just just want to print it out. Hindsight, would have paid the differnce for ink with an HP.

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate this printer, August 11, 2012
Every time I try to use this printer, something goes wrong. At first it was funny and I would joke with my husband about how this printer was bossy and controlling and never did what it was told. I thought it was user error. But over time after reading reviews from other users, I've realized I am not the problem. The biggest issue by far is that it suddenly tells you the ink cartridges need to be replaced and you can't print anything until you have a new ink cartridge. There isn't any warning. I've been printing with no problem all morning. The black is perfectly dark, everything is crisp and clear. Then I go to print my last document and I'm suddenly out of ink. You don't have the choice to print anyway and take the risk that it might come out grey or faded. It just goes on lock down and there's no way to print until you go buy a new cartridge. The cartridges are inexpensive but you will go through them four times as fast. We're on our third black ink cartridge and we hardly ever print. I also have problems using Avery labels with this printer, a problem I never had in the past. It continually tells me I have the wrong paper size.

I am SO frustrated with this printer and wish I'd never spent the money on it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible!, May 18, 2012
I buy lots of stuff from Amazon & love it. This printer is the worst printer I have ever had. I have had 3 printers in the past couple year or so....Lexmark: good printer, cheap ink, but didn't do google cloud print. HP Photosmart B210: not bad, does cloud printing and wireless worked much better after a firmware update. This Kodak is a piece of JUNK. It cant go 10 pages with out a paper jam....aghhh, so frustrating!!! and the ink cartridges run out very, very quick and it doesn't give you any real warning, just boom, out of ink AGAIN and no printing until you replace the cartridges . It is the worst printer i have ever owned and I have owned/used dozens

2.0 out of 5 stars Beta Product?, January 28, 2012
I have had the Hero 5.1 All-in-One printer, copier, scanner for about a week. While I am not sorry (yet) for having purchased it, given the price and multi-functions, it seems that this is a new product and still has some software glitches to be worked out. I bought it for the above multi-functions and secondarily for its photo functions. KODAK probably had its priorities in the reverse order - why should I be surprised?

The installation software CD seems to be designed entirely for connecting a computer by Wi-Fi and it performs very well in that function. However, I first connected my PC by cable, which the paper installation sheet shows by picto-graphs and advises that the software will provide further instructions on screen. It doesn't. I found some small written instructions on the back of the paper that helped and I fumbled my way through and got the PC connection working. Seems you have to go to the KODAK website to download the software. Following that, setting up my laptop with a Wi-Fi connection went smoothly. The installation CD handled it all.

I printed out some e-mails with no trouble. A day or two later I wanted to copy some documents. They came out with blurred, obscurred lines and were not useable. I went to the KODAK support chat line, which I assume is located in India. The young lady was friendly and helpful and after about ten minutes of back and forth lead me down the printer menu screen to "Maintenance/Clean Printer Heads." I was relieved that this function did not require any physical work on my part other than clicking on it - and it fixed the problem. That made my day.

The next day I decided to print a couple file labels. The online KODAK Support page has a "detailed" owner's manual for the Hero 5.1. It is better than the almost useless little publication enclosed with the machine and it states that the print function will handle any standard label sheets - and that's about all it says. To my chagrin the printer spit out my Avery label sheet with error message 3506 stating that it was the wrong paper size. After much rechecking of the WORD label screen settings and several tries I again went to the KODAK Support chat screen. The poor guy in India downloaded Active-X and worked with my computer and me for at least two hours with no better results. The printer has a paper detection system which would print a label out on plain paper but not on the label sheet. Finally, the supervisor spoke to me by telephone and we agreed that I will receive a telephone call on Monday, 10:00 AM with the KODAK response and hopefully a fix.

As for KODAK chat support, I can't fault them for their efforts and the fact that I got a rep on the chat screen both times as soon as I logged in. I will update this review with future events as they occur.

1/30/12: Yesterday (Monday) I did not receive the promised telephone call. I contacted Support Services twice asking them to call or e-mail me with the status of the problem but only was told that they were working on the problem. This reinforces my perception that the problem lies in the programming of the paper detection device and will require a fix that exceeds the capability of an online service rep.

2/11/12 Two weeks after my initial chat, and despite follow-up e-mails, I have not received a phone call. Looking at the "Answers" section on the Kodak website the directions for printing labels references only Word 2007 and 2010. That may, or may not, be a clue to why my Word 2003 will print labels on plain paper and not Avery label sheets. I am guessing that the paper detection function, which is malfunctioning in this instance, probably has something to do with the photo printing capacity of the Hero 5.1 (which to me was only a nice bonus feature). I can say that the copy and scanner functions produce very high resolution prints and (at the $106 price) I may keep the Hero 5.1 for that reason.

2/15/12 I am returning the Hero 5.1 to Amazon. I have yet to receive the promised phone call despite my follow-up e-mails to Kodak Support. The printer without credible support is not acceptable.

2/16/12 Today I packed up the Hero 5.1 and took it to the UPS office and shipped it back to Amazon. The 30 day return period was about to expire. On the way home I stopped by a local store and purchased a Canon MG5220 printer (also sold by Amazon)which cost much less than the Hero 5.1 and is SO MUCH BETTER in every respect. Installation material was detailed and worked as stated with no hitches. And yes, it does print labels from Word 2003 the very first time. To cap things off, while I was completing the installation I finally received the long awaited phone call from Kodak Support (in India)!

1.0 out of 5 stars A complete waste of money, June 9, 2012
I bought one of these to replace another Kodak printer which suddenly decided it would only print one page at a time. I should have taken the warning.
on connecting the printer to the pc it printed a test page perfectly, that was the one and only time it printed anything.

I loaded a letter page from word to check the quality, it gave me three blank pages.
I loaded a report from Sage and it gave me three blank pages.
I then tried to use the maintenance section of the Kodak home centre and it told me I needed a firmware update which I then told it to do. Nope, didn't want to do that either just gave me an error code.

At this point I contacted Kodak online chat for assistance. The guy signed onto my machine using Webex and proceeded to do all sorts of maintenance tasks remotely. After two and a half hours it was no further forward. He suggested that if I sign of and restart the pc everything would be fine and fixed.
Oh no it wasn't.

This is the second Hero machine that I have had problems with and never again.
This printer was returned and I purchased an alternative Manufacturers machine which is superb.

A complete and utter waste of time money and an afternoon

1.0 out of 5 stars This printer is HORRIBLE, do not buy, June 13, 2013
I've had this piece of junk for a number of months now and have had endless hassles since day one. Did Kodak not TEST this printer before putting it out on the shelves?? There are glitches galore, too many to list. The software program is a complete mess. I have been sitting here scanning the same document over and over to no avail - I cannot locate the file after scanning. Saved it to various locations, still cannot find. Saved to desktop, clearly visible on screen but cannot locate it in the Kodak Home Center where I want to edit it. (I have worked with computers for 30 years, I know how to save files!) Their "claim to fame" is that it uses less ink - that's not even true ! I run out of ink constantly after very few printings. Stay away from this one folks !

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Frustrated, November 12, 2012
I purchased the Kodak Hero 5.1 in March 2012. The first few months went fine, it was easy to install and it produced documents that were crisp and clear. I was a little upset that the ink cartridges ran out so quickly though and they cost only about $10.00 less to replace than ink for my last printer which was a Dell. Also, the printer (as explained to me by a customer rep) does allow you to select just "black & white" however if you do it still uses your color ink, so you are replacing ink cartridges more often. About two months ago the printer started producing illegible documents. I went online, did all troubleshooting that was listed and then called customer support which is offshore. After clean the head and once again replacing the ink cartridges it still was not working. They told me that they would send me a new print head and I waited two weeks for it. It was the wrong part so I started emailing them, but nothing happened and I never received the correct part. I sent another email a week ago requesting a new printer since I can no longer return it to Targets where I purchased it. received a reply within 48 hours asking me if there was something else wrong with my printer. How could there be anything else wrong it doesn't work at all. I just felt that I was entitled to a replacement printer. I sent them another email stating why I thought that I deserved a new printer. That was four days ago. I just called them and asked why I did not receive a response and was told that it was over a weekend. Check their website because it says that you can call from 9AM EST to Midnight 7 days a week. I was just told they would overnight me the correct part. I paid $129 for this printer and feel that not only is it not worth the money, but also that the customer service that Kodak is providing is "HORRIBLE". I asked the representative to send me an address label and I would return the incorrect part. He told me not to worry about it. And at the end of the day, I still do not have the use of my printer and I doubt if the new part that is on it's way will be the correct part and if it is that it will solve my problem. Hey, Kodak I guess you don't mind people throwing out brand new parts that are sent incorrectly. Instead of wasting all that money not requesting that parts be returned, why don't you start using it to build a better computer and providing the consumer with quality customer service !!!