5.0 out of 5 stars An almost perfect digital frame!
I looked for a while for a digital frame to get. This is my first foray in this method of displaying pictures. I have had this frame for about a week now.

Published on December 13, 2011 by El Gordo

1.0 out of 5 stars Will not display my pictures
Published on December 8, 2011 by jakedar

5.0 out of 5 stars An almost perfect digital frame!, December 13, 2011
El Gordo (Royal Oak, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kodak P86 8-Inch Digital Picture Frame - Black (Electronics)

Image quality and viewing - this is a 600x800 pixel display. The resolution is one of the most important features of a picture frame, and this one does deliver. The display is also very crisp, and you can view it from an angle from below, above, or the side, and it still looks beautiful. This is the main point of having a picture frame, and a feature which many other frames (per reviews) don't have.

Controls - They are on the back, and a little hard to maneuver, especially if you are trying to keep the front clean.

Setting up - this is easy, or a pain, depending on your point of view. You set up the time, date, and automatic on/off times (only one time period allowed per 24 hour day). Then, go! However, if you were to lose power ever - well, you get to do this all over again! It does seem to keep the settings in memory for brief power outages. Too bad the settings don't get saved to memory!

Power usage - 4.9 W (On mode); 0.2 W (Off mode) - cheaper than most (even energy efficient) lightbulbs

Displaying images - can be done off of USB, SD/SDHC, MMC, Memory Stick... copy your pictures over, plug in, and voila. You can play right off the memory stick / USB, or you can copy to the frame memory. Off the memory, you can have 1000s of pictures! My main complaint here is that the frame uses the "Last Modified" date, not the date the picture was taken. I understand why - it is much easier to program and get this value - but does limit the abilities of the frame when displaying 1000 pictures as I have set up.

The frame can be hung, rotated, or set down on a desk.

Power - can taken both US and foreign voltage (adapter not included). I will be sending one as a gift, so this was important. It does NOT take batteries, however.

One big annoyance is that the frame gets dirty very easily when touched. When clean, the shiny black surface of the front is very appealing.

Overall, I am very happy with this item, and as said before, will give it as a gift and keeping one. I think the pros clearly outweigh the cons here!

ADDENDUM: I found a freeware, Amok Exif, that allows renaming image files based on the date the pictures were taken. Once renamed, the alpha-numeric sort order for files displayed the images in order. An easy fix, if desired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift, looks nice, December 10, 2011
Got this as a gift for someone as an upgrade to the one they have had for years. I pre loaded it with photos and to make sure it works. No computer needed. Will take cards and has internal memory. Pictures look great and easy to use menus. It's barely weighs anything, plastic frame but looks nice and the weight is perfect as they go out in their motorhome a lot. Can hang or has a little stick stand, power button is hard to reach but it does have auto time set so you can have it turn on/off everyday without touching it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great frame!!!, December 25, 2012
I purchased this digital picture frame for my elderly mother. I didn't want a frame with lots of features because she won't use them. I just wanted a basic frame to display pictures for her to enjoy.

I have several digital picture frames and this one was, by far, the easiest to set up and use. The instructions are very clear, it's very easy to load pictures into the memory, the settings are simple to change, and the images are clear. I loaded 100 images and there's room in the memory for about 900 more. The frame has some nice date and time display options. There are options to display pictures as a collage, but since the total image size is only about 5x7, the collage setting makes the images too small for Mom to see well. There are other display options (displaying a photo on a background, zooming, or panning) but the full screen single photo is easiest to see. There are 5 choices for transitions between photos. The simple stick that is used to balance the frame for tabletop sitting will work well enough.

After I set up the frame, I unplugged it, wrapped it, etc... When we plugged it in again after Mom opened it, I did have to reset the date and time settings. It appears that pressing the "OK" button on the back of the frame will let you skip this.

So far the frame works well and does what I wanted it to do - simply display nice clear photos. If anything changes or the frame stops working, I'll update the review. Overall, I'm very happy with the frame and, at this time, would buy another.

Update 03/08/14: Frame is still working great! No problems at all. Still very happy with it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Will not display my pictures, December 8, 2011
I bought this item as a gift for family members. Unfortunately you cannot add a memory card and send it on its way. It requires the device is set up each time electrical power is restored. What the device really wants to do is show you advertisements for kodak. I think its terrible that I've purchased a device and I can't get rid of the commercials. That might be okay if it worked. But the assinine menu does not work. I've spent several hours trying to change what pictures it displays to no avail. I'm packing this sucker up and taking it back to the store.

1.0 out of 5 stars random mode does not work, April 28, 2012
I own the P85 and bought the P86 for my parents. The P86 has a matte screen vs. the glossy screen of the P85. It is a matter of taste but the P85 looks better to my eyes. The P86 showed too much noise of images that I know well and that are not so bad. Perhaps the frame "enhances" them too much.

The biggest problem was that the P86 random mode did not function properly. With an SD card with a few images it was OK. With my USB drive containing several thousands of images, it failed completely - it was displaying them in order. The good old P85 has no problems with that. So the P86 had to go back, and I bought another P85.

One star because a frame without a random slideshow mode is useless to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars digital picture frame, April 8, 2013
finally, I found a picture frame to give to my mother-in-law and stop printing pictures. the frame is set to play from 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, does what you need it to, February 26, 2012
Mike P. "mikep007" (Reynoldsburg, OH United States) - See all my reviews
The Kodak P86 Easyshare is exactly what the name describes: easy sharing for pictures. Nothing fancy, just a basic digital picture frame. Set up is very quick and I only need to refer to the enclosed directions to see how to copy from SD card to the internal (128 MB) memory. Of course, you can run it exclusively from the card but I wanted to give this as a gift, so I loaded 90 pictures onto it in just under a minute. The literature says it can hold 1,000 pictures but that will depend on how big they are.

You can wall mount this or use the little stick stand that comes with it to put it on the table -- this isn't the best set-up for table mounting, but seems to be sufficiently sturdy and adequate. The options include slideshow (pages through the pictures) and eye-catching slideshow effects with clock & calendar modes, panoramic pictures that sweep across the screen and collage views. It's even energy-star qualified, for the environmentally friendly. Settings are selected by a button/arrow configuration on the back.

There are other frames that offer more features such as remote control (this one does not have remote control), touch-screen, more internal memory, and internal battery (saw one reviewer who wasn't happy about setting it up each time it powers down, but I don't find that a problem really -- it's a nice to have to me). If you want more, pay more but this was a gift for older relatives and it'll work just fine!

Note: Manufacturer is Kodak and they announced they will not be producing any more photography related items but will honor 1 year warranties. Buyer beware here, this may be a concern. Other technical details:

Image file formats: JPEG, EXIF
Dimensions
(without stand): 8.8 × 6.5 × 0.9 in.
Viewing options:landscape and portrait
Wall mountable: yes
Weight: frame and adapter: 15.9 oz, without adapter: 13.3 oz
Display resolution: 800 × 600
Aspect ratio: 4:3
Media support
1 card slot: Secure Digital (SD), Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC), Multimedia Card (MMC), MEMORY STICK (MS), MS DUO, xD
1 USB high-speed embedded port host: USB flash drives

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice picture, July 30, 2013
I bought this for my desk at the office. Has worked great and easy to setup and use. Has some nice features like time and date display and can change the way pictures transition. Great picture quality!

5.0 out of 5 stars memories captured!, July 23, 2013
This digital picture frame shows my pictures very clearly.
It is easy to use, and a great way to be reminded of
happy memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great digital frame!, July 21, 2013
Easy to set up and has a clear crisp picture quality. Don't waste you money on a more expensive frame....you will be happy with this one. I plan to purchase more as gifts!

ARRAY(0x92edec30)