5.0 out of 5 stars Love from someone who just jumps in head first
This item is an EXCELLent caera/ video recorder. It has simplistic instructions that anyone can follow, a set of touc-screen options that are so easy to understand that it makes me wish all my itesm would come with set-ups like this, and it makes for great keepsakes. Considering the size of the thing, you also have a cool streaming piece of electronics that takes 11 5MP...
Published on November 30, 2010 by TorridlyBoredShopper

The manufacturer commented on the review below
2.0 out of 5 stars Kodak PlayTouch vs. Zi8
I bought the PlayTouch and spent a few days comparing it to a borrowed Zi8. I shot a couple of hours of footage in different situations and at different resolutions with the two mounted side-by-side. I thought a quick comparison of the two might be useful for others that are looking at the PlayTouch.

There were certainly some improvements in the PlayTouch...
Published on October 6, 2010 by idlegravity

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't count on the firmware upgrade!, December 12, 2010
This camera received a number of negative reviews (for good reason), but Beth from Kodak countered all of these reviews with promises of a fix with the firmware upgrade. As such, I went against my gut feeling and bought the camera based on the promised fixes. The first thing I did when receiving the camera was to complete the firmware upgrade. Well, it seems the camera was truly terrible before the firmware upgrade and likely only slightly less terrible now. The video was awful. The stills were awful. The sound was awful. Beth from Kodak, before you say it, I know how to work the Macro switch. This camera is a waste of money, at any price. I've noticed some more recent reviews that were favorable. This is what compelled me to write this review. The one good review appears fake. The other one seemed to be someone trying to score some swag. Please learn from my mistake. Don't trust the promised fixes. Avoid this camera.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocore, September 30, 2010
This review is from: Kodak PlayTouch Video Camera (Teal) (Electronics)
I've read the other review that states this product overheats. I wanted to comment on that. In 720p mode, I ran the Kodak Playtouch (Zi10) for 30 minutes with no problems or errors. After letting it rest, I switched it over to 1080p mode and after 10minutes it was hot to the touch. I let it run for an additional 15 minutes and it did not crash nor did it get hotter. It took about 2 minutes for the device to cool off.

The sound quality is mediocore. I needed to set the microphone gain on full to get decent sound out of the playtouch. I listened to a lot of reviews on youtube and test videos to see if it was a problem with the playtouch or my device is defective... the conclusion that I've reached is that I had very high expectations of such a small device.

The screen is a 3" touchscreen, and that's what sold me to buy it. The touchscreen feature is very nice. But when recording you do not utilize the full 3" (maybe 1/2 of it), during playback you do utilize the whole screen.

Overall, I like the playtouch. Very easy to use, good video quality, etc. I give it 3 stars due to the overheating and mediocore sound.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Nov 9, 2010 1:07:27 PM PST
Hey Max- Kodak just released a firmware update (v 1.18) that addresses these issues. You can download the update here: http://kodak.ly/PLAYTOUCH_118 Just select your current firmware version and your computer's operating system and you'll be good to go.

Thx much for your feedback.
Beth

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Uncomplicated People!, February 5, 2011
Length:: 0:34 Mins

Kodiak PlayTouch Video Camera & Photo / B003VTZE4Y

When it comes to electronic devices, I tend to be firmly of the belief that "less is more". I mean, I have a really nice smart phone, but it's remarkably intuitive for me, so I haven't had any problems with it. But I like my MP3 players, cameras, and video cameras to be low complexity and definitely "plug-and-play" for the bare basics - I don't want to have to install a bunch of extra software or learn the ins and outs of my new device. This review is for people like me (or, as Dave Barry has said, "'Hardly Does Anything!' would be an excellent product slogan, if you ask me.").

This combination camera/video camera is almost perfect for me. The picture quality (both stills and video) is more crisp and clear than the camera we were using before, and the camera performs extremely well indoors as well as outdoors. The videos are recorded in MP4 format, which is much preferable to me (as a reviewer) to the AVI format our last camera used, since my AVI videos had to be transformed into something else to load them onto Amazon; MP4s are just about playable by everything nowdays, it seems.

On the "plug-and-play" side, I like that the camera saves everything to an SD card, and you can just slip that out and pop it into a card reader (I use SanDisk ImageMate Card Reader) in order to move everything over to a computer - there's not an extra cord (with, inevitably, a proprietary plug!) that you have to keep track of just to get your pictures.

Using the camera is so simple. Press a button on the side of the camera to turn the device on. Little pictures on the screen inform you as to the current state and how to alter it - a battery icon to show how full the battery is (and this thing seems to hold a charge well - I've yet to charge it, even after a lot of use), zoom in/out icons, a cog wheel for settings, and so forth. One icon, when pressed, alternates between a camera (in which case you're in camera mode!) and a video camera (you're in video mode!) - so simple. A physical button below the screen either takes a picture (in picture mode) or starts/stops the video (in video mode). That's the kind of simplicity I can get behind.

Physically, this camera is perfect for me. The camera is slim enough to slip into just about any "cell phone pocket" in a purse, but not so slender that I'm afraid of dropping it. The screen is smooth and crisp, and the screen buttons are easy to press and navigate. The SD card is easy to get out - no struggling necessary - which is a great improvement over my last camera which forced you to grip the card with your fingernails and guide it out.

I realize that there's a lot of "extra features" that this phone advertises, and I also realize that there's apparently a lot of cameras on the market that do those things better, and I think that's ok. If you're really interested in a camera that can make your coffee for you, more power to you if you can figure those things out! But, for me at least, this is a camera that does a couple of things really well: it takes great pictures and video, it's incredibly easy to use out of the box, and I can move the pictures from the camera to my computer in a single step.

I like this camera so much that I'm buying a tripod for it (Kodak PlayTouch Camera Accessories Kit) because while my husband's hands are steady as a rock, mine apparently are *not*. In that vein, here's a short video that my husband took straight out of the box to show image clarity indoors. (Of course, it's been shrunk from 1280 x 720 to the tiny size that Amazon supports, so there's that.)

~ Ana Mardoll

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent pocket video camera except in low light, December 14, 2010
This isn't much of an upgrade from the Zi8. The big thing I wanted was to have a built-in flash so I could take pictures in low light. I'm not asking for pictures in the dark, just some photos in a room that does have multiple light sources.

After all this time and all the complaints from others, you would figure Kodak could add an external flash.

If you just want a nice, easy to use camera for quick youtube uploads, stick with the Zi8. Its just as good and 1/2 the price.

This cannot be used as a replacement for an old digital camera which is what I was looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tops for internet marketing, May 7, 2012
When coupled with the Audio-Technica ATR-3350 (around $20) and a Kodak remote control ($10) this becomes a complete video recording studio that fits in your pocket. HD is the format that YouTube likes now, and the long cord on the mike lets you get high-quality audio to go with the HD video. This mike has an on-off switch and a tiny (common) battery.

The only downside I've found is that the battery cover squeaks when you squeeze the camera, and that gets into your recording. I narrowed down the problem area to a small tab the top of the cover and filed it down slightly with an emery board/fingernail file. Problem solved.

I had a leftover plastic overlay sheet meant for cellphones and cut it down to match the touchscreen. I found a pocket-size tripod for $5 and inexpensive spare batteries from another vendor. You can NOT change batteries during a recording session -- you'll have to stop the recording to change the battery. However, if you supply external power during the switch, you may be able to make one continuous recording for up to 8 hours in WVGA.

As always, get lots of practice with all the tools before you shoot something important. I'm quite delighted with this setup.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good dedicated video camera, November 24, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I just received the Kodak PlayTouch Video Camera today, and I've been playing around with it all evening. It's about the size of a smartphone, with the camera lens in back in about the same place that a smartphone has its. The front of the video camera is a touchscreen, with a single activation button beneath it.

It's easy to use: turn on the camera and the screen shows what the lens sees. Press the button, and a moment later, the recording starts. Press the button again, and the recording stops. To playback, press the review icon on the touchscreen, and you get the recordings. When you sync the camera to a computer, you can copy the video files like a regular file (ie. drag and save) or you can use Kodak's sharing software, which if you give it your account and passwords, will share your videos to Facebook, YouTube, and the like.

Videos are recorded in MPEG-4 format, which annoys me mildly because I would prefer not to use QuickTime to view them. However, I really like the fact that the camera has its own dedicated USB connector, which slides sideways out of the camera -- no more lost cables!

The video images when played back on a computer are good, though grainier than I'd expect from HD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera and easy to use if you have a brain in your head!, February 10, 2012
All the complaints about this camera have been addressed long ago with the firmware update.

I got mine used off ebay.com for $47.50 shipped ( 2GB SD card, but no cables but I already had everything anyway ), as someone who works in the broadcast television field, I know professional video.

This isn't professional equipment, but it isn't 3rd rate Chinese no-name sort of HD crap either.

For the the price you are not going to do any better for a point and shoot HD video camera.

It has features that you have to pay 2X as much for on other cameras, like the external microphone jack.

The touch screen is just as sensitive as my iPhone and really needs a "lock" feature, but I am not having all the problems some of these people complain about.
Personally I think 90% of the 1 star ratings are operator error or they have not updated to the latest firmware which works great!

The one complaint I have is the janky USB "Arm" that is used to plug into the computer.
There is already a MicroUSB that is required to CHARGE the thing, and then ANOTHER full size USB connector that is on a hard arm
that is used to connect to the computer. Why not just use the perfectly good micro-USB socket that is already there?

I use a desktop computer and am going to have to get an extension cable because it hangs on this arm in a way that will break it
when I plug it into the front of the computer.

The "Share" feature is a gimmick at best for anyone other than a complete novice, and probably just confusing to them anyway, very
poorly designed. iPhoto recognizes the camera and sucks all the video right in for cataloging and editing in iMovie on my Mac seamlessly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little video camera, December 20, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I took this out of the box, stuck in a memory card, charged it on the run, and proceeded to start using this camera. It's a fact of life, I'm usually hurrying too much and have little patience for learning how to use new things. I also had very little experience with video cameras, as my previous camera used actual film, which indicates how old it was!

I love the size. I can stash this camera in a small camera case that I attach to my larger traditional digital camera's case. I can pull it out of that, and it fits in my pocket. It doesn't get everyone's attention when I'm using it, because it really isn't much larger than a cell phone. There is also a down side to that small size with a video camera--you WILL get blurry and impossible to watch video if you move the camera excessively, which is VERY easy with such a small camera. Answer? Grab a small tripod (it's got the screw-in gizmo to accept it right on the bottom), besides, it will save your arms! For short video taping, it works great as long as you minimize your movement. Another down side to the compact size is that it is easy to leave it behind or mislay it.

I love the touch screen but like other new things, that takes a bit of time to get used to. If you tend to tap them hard, it WILL pick up the sound. If you tend to swear a lot when you hit the wrong spot, it will pick that up too. No, it's not perfect, but it works quite well and is much easier to see than small symbols on a knob to select settings--I can adjust this camera without having to put on my glasses first!

As for using this camera as a still camera, I haven't tried that. I have a still camera, and I have a camera in my phone, but just like I'm limited in my video capabilities in my still camera, I'm not expecting fantastic photos from my video camera--I expect fantastic video from it. Some reviewers disliked the lack of a flash in this camera--what would you want flash for in a video camera anyhow? I've used it indoors for video, and had no problem with normal lighting, but we had normal lighting not "mood" lighting. I haven't tried it for fireside videos at night while camping yet, but I'll update how it works in real low-light situations. My previous video camera was a total dud in anything indoors with "normal" lighting, we had to light things up like we were on a stage to get decent indoor video, so this is already better than that camera was.

I've just had the camera a couple of weeks and haven't used all of the features yet, but so far--it's great. I have confidence in Kodak products, as I have used a number of their cameras over the years. I'm not fond of the "EasyShare" software, but there is a lot of alternative software out there that works well once you transfer the photos to your computer, much of it is free, such as Google's Picassa.

The only thing I wish it had was a 12 volt adapter to charge it without having to use an inverter while traveling. The first accessory I'm going to be in pursuit of is a lightweight, compact tripod for use with the camera too, which will make it much easier to use when filming.

There may be better cameras on the market, but with my limited experience with video cameras, I found this one to be easy to use, quick to learn the minimal functions on, easy to handle, and easy to transfer to the computer. I didn't have the aggravation of needing to read the manual or watch a tutorial to get started. The camera is compact and easy to physically manage, at least for the 5-10 minutes of our experimental videos we've done so far. With a tripod, I expect to find this camera a real breeze to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Videos and Pictures, November 27, 2010
Kodak PlayTouch Video Camera

The Kodak PlayTouch produces beautiful videos and still pictures. I set the video resolution to 1080p (the highest resolution) to get the best results, while the still pictures record at 5 megapixels (3072 X 1728) and the resulting pictures each takes about 1 megabyte of storage space.

This is a small and convenient video camera that also has still picture taking ability, not the other way around. You should compare this with a Flip Ultra HD kind of video camera, not with a digital camera that also has video capability, or with a camcorder. The emphasis here is simplicity, small size, and video.

This Kodak model is also known as model Zi10, although it was not mentioned as such on Amazon's product page. As the PlayTouch Video Camera, all controls on the back of the camera are touch-sensitive, similar to the Apple iPod Touch. There is only one small physical button (Record/Ok) and it is located just below the 3-inch diagonal LCD screen.

Videos and still images can be viewed on the camera LCD and on external TV's and flat panel displays equiped with HDMI connection and also older RCA type connection. Both types of cables are included.

The Zi10 can be charged using a computer's USB port (connect via the camera's USB arm) or using household AC (connect via the camera's Micro-B USB receptacle). It must be emphasized that while the USB arm can be connected to a computer for both charging and data transfer, the Micro-B USB port can only be connected to a computer for charging only. The AC adapter is very small, much like the Apple USB charger, and thus unobtrusive. When the camera is being charged, the light ring around the Record/Ok button will blink. A complete charge takes about two hours. After charging is complete, the blinking light will cease.

The Zi10 uses Kodak KLIC-7004 3.6V 1000 mAh battery, which is also compatible with Pentax DL-168 and Fuji NP-50 batteries. The battery lasts about 1 hour and 15 minutes, so you will want to buy extra batteries. You may also want to buy an external charger. These (battery and charger) are available new on Ebay often below $5 each including shipping. The compatible batteries will most likely not last as long per charge as the original, but the difference is small and they are much less expensive.

There is a switch on top of the camera that allows you to set the camera lens to take normal pictures (left) or close-up pictures (right). Perhaps some reviewer did not notice this "feature" and subsequently produced out-of-focus and blurry pictures and videos.

The camera will turn on and be ready to take picture or video almost instantly after you press the power button on the upper right hand corner. In Ready mode, the picture viewing area is just 2 inches diagonal (7/8 inch high by 1 and 3/4 inch wide). Other areas of the LCD consist of indicators and touch-sensitive buttons. Indicators are the battery power level and the number of pictures remain that can be taken. Buttons include Setup, Still Picture/Video Switch, Play, Special Effects, Zoom In and Zoom Out. In Play mode, picture and video will take up the entire 3-inch screen, but must be rotated to a horizontal orientation for viewing.

In terms of video resolution, you can select from WVGA, HD 720p, HD 720p 60fps, and HD 1080p. The HD 720p 60fps setting is for shooting fast action scenes, while HD 1080p has the best resolution and takes up the most storage space. At this setting, a 4 Gb card will last about 30 minutes. For still picture, the camera takes 5 megapixel images; a 4 Gb card will accomodate 2,184 shots. The camera features image stabilization and face detection.

Display text can be set to any one of 15 languages. There are five special effects that can be applied to still picture and video: normal, high saturation, 70's film, black & white, and sepia.

Problems:

1. If you put in a SD memory card that has all its storage space used up, the camera will display a message: Memory card is full. Strangely, under this circumstance, you will NOT be able to format the card in camera, as you cannot use the camera at all. You need to format the card or delete some pictures in another camera or computer. I am guessing that maybe Kodak does this to prevent accidental erasure of precious videos and pictures.

2. The built-in USB arm is convenient to use to download pictures and videos to a computer, but its construction seems pretty flimsy that I don't feel comfortable to have the whole camera's weight hang on the arm. Instead, I use an USB extension cable so that the camera can be placed on a flat surface while it's connected to a computer. Unlike the Flip video camera's built-in memory, because the PlayTouch stores pictures on removable SD memory cards, sometimes it's easier to just take out the SD card and load it onto a computer than using the USB arm. At least, you have a choice to use either method.

Actual use experience:

Because this is primarily a video camera and secondarily a digital still picture camera, when you turn on the camera, it will always be in video mode. If you want to take still pictures, you must press the capture mode (still picture/video camera) button on the lower left of the LCD screen. Because the camera does not have a built-in flash, pictures and videos taken are limited to available-light lighting condition only. Although there is some shutter-lag when taking still picture, I like the fact that I can take a video of a scene than extract a single video frame to produce a picture, right on the camera. Full-HD means the resolution is 1920 X 1080, which yields 2,073,600 pixels or 2 MP. This is considerably lower resolution compared to what this camera in still picture mode can produce - 5 Megapixels. Still, if you shoot a video then extract a critical frame, it is better than missing the perfect shot all together.

Like any electronic gadget, this camera is a delicate piece of equipment. Although the camera comes with a velvet pouch, it offers little protection against bumps and shocks. Instead, I use a Lowepro Rezo 30 zippered pouch ($12 on Amazon) to securely store this camera. This bag has a front pocket that can store extra batteries and memory cards. If you want to save some money, then I would recommend AmazonBasics Universal Camera Case for Digital Cameras HF, which is less than $5 and it also has a pocket for extra things. It is slightly less snug (meaning bigger inside and outside) than the Lowepro.

I have not encountered any freeze-up conditions described by some reviewers. My Camera Firmware Version is 1.160012.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with the PlayTouch, October 15, 2011
Amazon Customer "Doc Guy" (Herriman, UT, United States) - See all my reviews
We bought the PlayTouch (zi10 in black, not silver) from one of those one-deal-a-day sites for fifty bucks, and I have to say that for what we paid, I'm thrilled with the device. I use it on a tripod to capture video of my family. I connect an external mic to do interviews of family members for family videos and family history. It's simple enough my kids can use it (ages 3 and 4) and inexpensive enough I'm not panicked that they will break it.

The picture quality is good. It is clearly not on par with other, more expensive, HD video devices, but we're talking about a hand-held camera that is the size of a smart phone. It's small enough my wife can easily carry it in her purse, so she is more likely to record things when she is out and about, which is perfect for some of the kids' candid moments that would be lost if we didn't have a video camera with us.

Seriously, for what I paid, this is a great product. If you watch around you can probably buy this for less than Amazon sells it new (like I said, I paid about 1/3 of what this seller is charging).

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›

Kodak PlayTouch Video Camera (Teal)
$199.00 $189.90