Kodak Zx1 HD Pocket Video Camera (Black)
Color: BlackChange
Price:$129.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 20, 2009
I bought the Zx1 to take along on motorcyle trips. I installed a camera mount on my motorcyle for on the road video. Here are some of the good and bad points.

The good:
1.Easy to carry.
2.Uses AA batteries or AA rechargeable batteries.Easy to find.
3.Different choises of recording quality. VGA,HD30, or HD60. Will also
take still photos.
4.Uses a standerd SD or SD HC card. Cheap and easy to find in stores.
5.USB connection to the computer.
6.Videos I have taken are pretty good quality.
7.I can actually operate this thing while on the move on my motorcycle
without crashing. It is simple to operate.
8.Pretty rugged.
9.Fast bootup and quick to record time.
The Bad:
1.Eats batteries like a thirsty camel.Bring spares.
2.Video has no image stabilization. You need a steady hand or a tripod.
Bring Dramamine if you are watching video where the camera is moved
quickly.
3.Include SD cards and batteries in the final price for comparison with
other cameras.
4.Records in Quicktime. Yuk for us WMV users.
5.Operating symbols on the back are cryptic till you get used to them.
Don't press the wrong (small) button like I did or you will delete
your videos.
6.Software is OK (it's comes with the camera)but good editing and maybe
format converting software may be a consideration.
7.I was not real fond of the software being pre-loaded on the camera and
installing itself when the camera was hooked up to the computer.I would
prefer it came on a disk. This way I would have more control when new
operating systems came out.
Overall it is a fun camera to use. It is very portable and pretty durable.
HD60 videos were pretty clear. Good outdoor camera. Poor low light camera.
I think I would wait on buying one if I did it over. It reminds me of the first digital camers that needed a few generations to develope. Still, it is an impressive device for being so compact.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
For starters Amazon delivers on their promise of a 3-day delivery. This is a company you can count on.

The Zx1 is right on target. Right out of the box it does exactly what you would expect from a small pocket video camera - decent quality and simple operation. Even indoors the quality was acceptable - which is more than you can say about most cameras in this class.

This is clearly a second-generation pocket video camera - with improved controls and support for large capacity SD cards. The AA batteries are just what you need to make sure you will never run out. I was surprised to see that a charger was included.

My big concern about buying a Flash Drive HD camera was the issue of file format. This is a thorny issue with all HD video cameras. I could care lass about HD - I just wanted decent quality and the ability to edit video.

The plan is simple - archive the 'HD' content and keep it for future editing when software and hardware are readily available. And meanwhile
convert the files to AVI or another usable DVD formtat for immediate use.

The supplied ArcSoft program does primitive conversion of the 720p format to 640 DVD format - but in Quicktime - which Windows Media player version 9 still refuses to recognize in Windows XP ( I hate Vista)

There are many third party programs which do a better job of conversion - the one I use is AVS Video Converter 6. It took the raw MOV file from the SD card and converted it to AVI format with the 720 lines preserved and good sound quality. As with all such conversions it is slow but the quality is excellent. This is not a trivial conversion. Of course AVS will convert it to any of a dozen other formats - some with smaller file size - but none with higher quality.

Since this camera is so new, the Kodak web site has very limited documentation for the Zx1. They avoid entirely the issue of file formats and that is because it is a thorny issue. Along these lines I should mention that without loading any software, you can slip the SD card in your computer slot and you will get a MOV file. It comes up as a Quicktime file. My version of Quicktime played the movie O.K but there was no sound. I'm sure an update is available - but it may not be free.
Of course my Quicktime player did play the MOV file after it was converted by ArcSoft.

Hey for $150 - this is a great buy and it seems to be durable also.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 13, 2009
Got the camera for my mother to use when she babysits my daughter. The camera is very easy to use and comes with all the cables and rechargeble batteries.
The HD resolution is unreal, on the computer and TV (camera comes with HDMI cable). I just returned from a cruise and videos are great. The only problem I found was low light conditions. Using it inside can be a problem with limited light, otherwise the camera performs better than I expected.
on June 14, 2009
Any reasonable person should be able to figure out that you will need a memory card since amazon tries to suggest one when you purchase. That's why these types of cameras are referred to as "flash drives" (another reviewer)
Pros: Does well in lower light than others. Good in normal room light. I found others just no good indoors.
Very small and portable. This was a critical requirement for me.Splash resistance.
Seems rugged but I didn't do a drop test. Sorry.

A bonus feature not advertised was how well this blocks out wind noise on very windy days yet allows all the normal talking to be recorded. Never seen that before!
Crystal clarity out doors. Just amazing, although most of these types of cameras do well outside.
Cons: On an inexpensive camera like this, is subject to shaking which makes it irritating to watch. But knowing this I use a tri-pod or just a steady hand (don't forget to hold steady!), and movies are really great!
You have to break the $400 barrier for anti-stablization features.
In low light, Images are still bright, unlike others, but a little softer looking, less than optiimal forcus, acceptable. . . remember, this is a $140 camera, so it's fine.
My battery charger seems to be defective. But I have these all over the house and it wasn't worth returning. Still, would have been good if it worked for road trips.
Still waiting for the remote to be offered! But at least it's coming?
Close up is a little blurry, unlike the Zi6, a trade off I guess. Oh well, beats the heck out of using my cell phone for you-tube!!!

Notice to Mac users! When I plugged in into the mac, i-photo boots up. When you try to download, it will hang up! It might download some pictures and short movies. But anything over a few minutes and no joy. Easy way around this one. !. Plug in camera 2. Kill or minimize i-photo. 3. You will see a folder called "NO NAME" on your desktop. Click on it and there are all your movies and pictures! 4. Just drag these to where ever file you want to store them. Or just view from that folder and close. 5. When your done, right click and and click "eject". If you want, you can clear the memory card from the camera or just keep filming more stuff if your card is bigger.
I am a very happy camper!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought my ZX1 in blue colour, and I'm happy with this Pocket video camera.

I love the rechargable batteries, you can buy and extra sets and have with you in your pants pockets.
It contains the hdmi cable!!!! awesome. no need to buy one!!!!
when I watched the videos thru the hdmi cable, the image quality ,it's very impressive.

The image quality is awesome when recording in daylight,and it is so grany indoors. Besides, you get a slow motion sensation when filming in a very low light condition.So, when filming indoors, be sure to turn on all the lights around you..
I just recomend, when recording, hold your camera,don't shake your hand a lot, and don't do some rude movements. No image stabilization.

The ArcSoft softwere to edit and make videos, suplied by kodak ,it is so primitive and slow.And yes the kodak website is so useless,not too much information.
I love the "AVS video convert softwere",that other reviewer recomended.

I'm upset,the camera doesn't have a counter!!!! you don't know how many minutes you have to still recording!!!!.I learnt, that the 8 gb sdhc card allows 2 hrs of video recording in hd format.So, get a 16gb sdhc or a expensive 32gb.

I recommend using the sdhc card class 4.The class 6 will froze.

The picture camera mode.is great outside. Indoors it is useless, alot of blurry pics.

I guess, I will keep my camera for a couple of years,until a new kodak comes out...
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 4, 2009
I read a number of reviews on the Zx1 before purchasing it and the video and sound quality really exceeded my expectations. One of the very convenient features of on the device is the HDMI port which allows it to be connected directly to an HD tv. After filming a few test clips I decided to attach the player to my tv to test this feature out. The screen on the Zx1 is surprisingly crisp and bright and I was skeptical that the "crispness" of the video would be maintained after it was blown up to fullsize, but it was.

It is also very convenient that the device uses AA batteries, but still maintains a small form factor. I was also pleased that it has expandable memory.

Overall I am very impressed with the Zx1. The only minor complaint is that the native file format is .mov. Though most people will find this convenient I would have preferred .avi or any other format.
on June 13, 2009
I purchased the Flip Ultra HD and returned it. I then bought the Zx1 and I'm so glad I did. Mainly, the Flip video was too shakey. The Zx1 video is clear and much more stable than the Flip HD. I like the design better too--the Zx1 is smaller and feels more solid. Also, the Kodak is just a better deal. It includes batteries and a small charger, plus all the cables you need (HDMI, VGA & USB). For the money, it's great. I love it.
on June 23, 2010
The Kodak Zx1 is an excellent choice for an entry level HD camcorder. Ever since video blogs on YouTube became popular, people have been buying up pocket camcorders for portable and convenient video. The Zx1 is comparable to the Flip UltraHD. Retailing for $149.95, it can be purchased from online retailers for well under $100, making it a deal compared to the Flip UltraHD.

The Zx1 can take 720p (16:9 aspect ratio) in either 60 or 30 fps as well as VGA and 3 MP still photos. There are three big main differences between the Zx1 and the Flip UltraHD.

First is that the Zx1 can take video at 60 fps, allowing for smoother moving video. The UltraHD is limited to the usual 30 fps video.

The Zx1 only has 128 MB internal memory while the UltraHD has 8GB internal memory. The Zx1 can take external memory in the form of SD or SDHC cards up to 32 GB. So just remember that while the Zx1 may be cheaper, purchasing extra memory will add to the overall startup costs. Since SD cards are so cheap now, the Zx1 still turns out to be cheaper and you still have the option to carry extra SD cards for extra storage. Once you fill up the UltraHD's internal memory, you have no options to increase your storage.

Many pocket camcorders use a lithium ion battery pack which most people seem to love. Advantages of the battery packs are that they are lighter in weight, can be recharged, and usually offer longer battery time. The Zx1 uses 2 AA batteries (either rechargeable, alkaline, or lithiums). Kodak provides 2 of their rechargeable AA batteries as well as a cheap charger. Using AA batteries means that overall weight increases, but the big positive is that you can easily carry or obtain extra batteries for the camera while with lithium ion packs you need to have the charging cable and a place to plug in.

One of the biggest aspects of the Flip series that made it so popular is that it has an attached USB plug. There are no USB plugs to lose as it is part of the camera itself. On the surface it seems like a great idea but because of the size of the UltraHD, there may be issues with plugging into a USB port. If a laptop's USB port is really close to the surface the laptop is on, then the UltraHD may be too thick to allow the camera it sit in plugged. The Zx1 uses a proprietary mini USB cable, but because you'll have to use SD cards for storage, any SD card reader will allow you to transfer the data to any computer.

The Zx1 comes with it's own software called Arcsoft MediaImpression. It's not the best video editing software, but for things like general YouTube videos, it is more than enough. It'll allow you to cut and splice video clips, as well as add audio tracks and transitions. There is also options to directly upload to YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, and Twitter.
on June 12, 2009
This camera gives you no excuse for not shooting videos--not only does is slip into a pocket so you can keep it handy, but it's weather resistant so you can use it where other cameras could be damaged (rain, beach) I bought it for my daughter but haven't given it to her yet since I've been having fun with it! My daughter has a little cam corder with one of those flip out screen and she never uses it since it's never right with her. When she sees something she wants to shoot she has to waste time getting the camera out and usually ends up missing the action. And speaking of the cameras that have those flip-out viewers, just try using them if you're left-handed.

Look on the little quick-start guide for the Kodak site where you can see a complete manual and information about getting other support.

I gave it 4 stars rather than 5 since I haven't had it very long and still have things to experiment with. But to far I have been very pleased.
on June 29, 2009
I like a lot about this camera. I got the blue one - the form factor is good, the removable memory and batteries are good and the video quality when taken outside is phenomenal - but.... All of my videos inside - even with decent lighting are grainy and choppy. For this reason, I'm disappointed because it is not a versatile camera. I'm not going to carry two different cameras. So... What to do...
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...