Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on September 21, 2011
I have shot about 20 rolls of this stuff, so this review has been long in the making. And my final word is: Kodak Portra 400 is a really great film. It's not too punchy, it's not too muted, it's very accurate reproducing colors, and has GREAT latitude. Accidentally overexposed three stops? No problem, you most likely got the shot. Set the ISO to 1600? Don't worry about it. Don't even push the film. It will be fine, with little extra grain. This stuff is EXCELLENT, and amazing for portraits! Use this film along with a low-light lens like an f/1.4, set it to f/2 or under, and underexpose a stop or two, and you will get DREAMY portraits.

I give it 4.5 stars, because I wish it was just a little bit more punchy, but that is a very minor complaint (and I complain too much.) I'll just mark it with 5 stars.
0Comment43 of 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2013
I have gone through 3 of these 5-packs in the past year. I love this film, great color and great contrast. I use this in my Pentax K1000. Highly recommend.
33 comments13 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2011
I simply LOVE this film! Outstanding Saturated Color and Detail, Great Latitude and exceptionally fine grain. I've been shooting film for over 30 years and this has to be the finest film stock I have ever shot with. Scans beautifully in digital form as well. I swear you'll fall in love with film photography all over again. Kodak gets 5 stars!
on May 4, 2013
KODAK! Don't EVER go out of business...You are the best...PERIOD!! Your films are superior to all competitors out there.
For grain, saturation, hue and contrast...unbeatable. Keep it!!
on March 22, 2013
I won't use any other film now for color portraits! Portra just works so good with skin tones and brings out soft and dreamy portraits like nothing else.
on May 23, 2014
I still shoot film, and this stuff is seriously among the best ever made. Amazing latitude, you can under or over expose it a large amount and it holds up. The grain is so fine, the images look like silk when properly exposed and the colors are stupendous. If you take a camera out in tough conditions and shoot wide open, this is the film for you too. Long live film.
on March 15, 2013
Kodak knows how to do it this film is amazing... I must add that I'm not a pro photographer so the price is a bit high for everyday use and I don't get paid when i take a photo I also use kodak gold...
on October 14, 2012
This is excellent film. I still prefer film over digital. I was very happy with the prints that I made from it. Highly recommend.
on April 30, 2015
Amazing film. Awesome dynamic range when properly exposed. Kodak certainly has a look to it and in this case its a portrait-specific look: tends to render blues as warmer/greener than they are, and to subdue greens and variations within flesh tones so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for landscapes, but then people have used it for that. It's not as extreme as pro 400H in it's bias as a portrait film though. Maybe halfway between. Seems reluctant to make purples as compared to Fuji film but that could just be me.
on August 27, 2015
I am writing this review after shooting two rolls of this amazing film. What I can only say is that it produces amazing skin tones.

Pros: Perfect skin tones as advertised
Cons: Too much noise

Picture below is crop of which was taken by Canon 50e + Sigma 70mm f2.8 Macro lens
review image