‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars more like Portra NC than Portra VC, but still a beautiful film., May 24, 2011
This review is from: Kodak Portra 400 Professional ISO 400, 120 propack, Color Negative Film (5 Rolls per Pack) (Electronics)
consistent results. i think fans of Portra VC might be slightly disappointed because this film looks more like Portra NC than VC. skin tones look lovely, landscapes are rendered with accurate color. red is rendered accurately.

if you preferred the extra pop of saturation with Portra VC, i would recommend Ektar 100. ISO 100 but blues are very blue and reds really stand out.

that said, i love the new Portra 400. the colors are natural but never looked washed-out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tones, dynamic range, and pushability, November 17, 2011
All of Kodak's most recent color negative films (Ektar 100, New Portra 400, New Portra 160) exhibit excellent dynamic range and tonality that seems to push the bar for color negative film even more. Anyone who's shot color negative before knows how well it renders highlights and lighter tones, and this film isn't an exception. This film is more saturated than the new Portra 160, but not by a large margin. If you want a slight increase in the punch of the color though, I recommend pushing the film to 800 ISO, and developing the film longer (approximately 40 seconds more if you're doing your own processing). Shadow detail will remain perfectly in-tact, and if you're still concerned, overexpose by .5-1.0 stops. The film can handle it, easily. You can also push this film up to 3200 ISO and still get excellent results (better than I've ever seen before with color neg), but the contrast increase will be noticeable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kodak Portra 400 Professional ISO 400, March 25, 2011
This is now one of my standard use films when I shoot with one of my more recently purchased film cameras (I've owned a couple of film cameras, for almost a year now). I use this film in 120 size for my Fujifilm Medium Format GF-670 Film Camera; and, I use this same film in 135 size, in my Leica MP Film Camera Body. I still use my Nikon DSLR Bodies and lenses, and my Leica M9 & M8.2, but there's something about film that I just don't see with digital, and this is why I now prefer to use and exploit the advantages of both mediums. Using film, is quite inexpensive for me, since I develop my own negatives, scan them and subsequently use and handle these images much the way as I do with images from my "digital cameras", but with the added advantages of having my most important images captured/archived to film.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Alll-Purpose Color Film Around, December 13, 2012
Donald T. Lupo (Marina del Rey, CA) - See all my reviews
I carry several rolls of this with my medium format camera. It's a staple, just like Tri-X or HP5 for black and white. I get consistent results and a flexibility that is not often found in color films. For lower ISO color shots, I use Ektar, but this is the perfect film to keep in your bag at all times.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, November 18, 2012
the film is fantastic!!great color, saturation, stable with varying temperature,stores well cold,able to purchase older stock at a reduced price...

5.0 out of 5 stars Always a great film, June 19, 2014
Kodak Portra is my favorite color film. It's almost impossible to expose incorrectly, it has a really wide latitude (I'm not even sure how wide, it's really hard to get an unusable shot out of it,) the grain is impossibly smooth and the color reproduction is perfect.

I have shot all of the color negative and slide films that are being made today and I love Portra more than all of them, including Kodak's own Ektar. There is nothing bad I can say about this film.

I run it through my Mamiya RB67 and I have it processed professionally. I have never gotten bad results out of this film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surpised, October 30, 2013
Purchased this when I found out there was a long wait on my beloved Fuji NPH400.

I was impressed with this kodak film, after using ektar 100 i was a little turned off by their products.

The colors seemed very natural and the images came out sharp (with the aid of my mamiya 7)

I am planning on adding this into my rotation of film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome professional film stock, June 2, 2013
I use this film for shooting weddings constantly and am in love with it. It has about seven stops worth of latitude, so you can drastically overexpose (on purpose or by accident), and the film can still retain the detail. The colors are great, and it renders warm tones beautifully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good film!, February 10, 2013
As expected, this film has met all of my expectations. Good color balance and quality in the image. The price was right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best!, November 4, 2012
I highly recommend this film and use it in almost all my film photography. The 400 speed makes it extremely versatile. It scans great and has accurate colors and tones. All in all, this is pretty much the best negative film on the market. I pray that Kodak doesn't discontinue this film with all their recent financial troubles. Fuji sucks!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›