Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kodak Professional Ektar Color Negative Film ISO 100, 120 Size, Propack of 5, *USA*
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on October 23, 2009
I use this film for both nature photography and portraits. The grain is extremely fine, and the color rendition is beautiful, yielding wonderful skin tones and beautiful, crisp greens. Definitely a professional quality film.
on June 30, 2013
Film to Digital and Back. 6yrs in the making

I'm guessing that the Mpixel wars have changed the way we think, and anyone new to film will always have the MP theory to fall back on. I grew up with my dad shooting film and developing at home. I will not do that. I jumped on with the original Canon D30 (used of course) and a 50mm F1.8 Mk I (original Metal mount) 6yrs later and a few DSLR's (20D, 1D Mark II, 5D 12.8 MP) and a few L lens I bought a Mamiya 645 1000s and shot 2 rolls of Film. One BW (Kodak 400Tmax) and 1 Color (Kodak Ektar 100). Not knowing how to use this Mamiya all I did was run some test shots. I did some Urban Photography and I looked for Different Colors, Orange, Blue, Red, and Green where my main objectives.
About this Kodak Ektar. Colors just POP out with amazing detail. I got back my roll of film and the prints where Rich in the reds. Skies are the perfect South Florida Blue. Ive only used Tmax (on my 3rd Roll) and Ektar (only 1 roll)
I was blown away at the depth of field, the graduated tone and the imperfections of dust, hair, and blurry image. Something that bothered me in Digital. Details (When properly exposed) in the Shadows are Amazing. Great Contrast in Bright situations, and excellent tonality in ALL shots. I use an Android App Lightmeter by David Quiles and its perfect for me.

Although developing at home is an option, I will not go down that route. Today I'm just sending out my film to 2 local Shops and getting my images done there. Calumet Photographic in Fort Lauderdale, FL and Dale Laboratories in Hollywood, FL.
I just received some Ilford XP2 400 Super I will try next.
review image review image
on April 5, 2014
I've been shooting a lot of Ektar lately, and am really loving the look: Awesome, punchy colors, great saturation, and it scans a dream. This stuff really is remarkable. This is the kind of film that makes you forget about digital.

If you are even thinking about it, go for it. Go get yourself a cheap, used camera. Buy a few boxes of Ektar, and have at it. You'll get results that are unmatched by anything out there.

Quick tip on shooting it, particularly for the digital shooters: Shoot this stuff exactly opposite of how you would shoot digital. With digital, you are always worried about blowing out highlights, so you want to err on the side of under-exposing. With Ektar, go ahead and over-expose. Even with a full stop of over-exposure, you'll get good highlight detail. Modern digital sensors like to talk about having 12 or more stops of "dynamic range", but what that misses is once they get to the maximum, they clip. Film handles highlights so much better. Throw some light on this film and it will reward you!
on July 28, 2010
I got a box of this film for fathers day and I have shot a few rolls of it so far and I really love the quality of the shots I have made with it, but there is a problem. The film tends to produce images with a blue cast if you underexpose. This can be fixed before you print with filters or digital manipulation, but it is something that you need to know going in. Once you correct the blue cast, the colors and tones are excellent, and this film has that film quality that makes you remember why you decided to shoot that photo with film not digital.
44 comments|21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2011
Exceptionally nice film. Lovely colors, capable of great subtlety, reasonable speed, very fine grain, scans beautifully. I use it for landscapes and photomacrography, for which it is wonderful. If you are used to slide film, try this, I bet you'll like it (a lot).
on January 9, 2013
This is a really great film that has had a bad reputation for rendering bad skin tones foisted upon it by people who base their claims on cheap minilab scans rather than scans from a pro lab. Ektar gives great colors that jump off the paper when you print it, and its very sharp and contrasty. I've even taken some lovely portraits with this film, even though the blow-hards on internet forums like to pan it, claiming it makes skin look overly red. As with any high contrast film though, the photographer needs to make sure the light they are shooting in is good and not overly contrasty or harsh. Ektar can make colors pop and show the world in surreal beauty, but it cant fix bad lighting or an overly wide dynamic range in a scene. With that caveat in mind, shots made with this film in the morning and evening hours or in open shade will have great color, very very little grain, and if the photographer does their part to keep things sharp, the film will not let them down. If anyone from Kodak should read this short review: Please find a way to make this film in high speed flavors as well! An ultra-saturated, ultra-sharp and ultra-contrast slow version would be welcome too.
on February 9, 2011
This film goes beyond the resolving power of most lenses! Some older Nikons, Hasselblads,Leicas
and Zeiss lenses (high end stuff) might take full advantage of it. My Yashica Mat 124 80mm lens does a good job with it. I love this stuff. Brilliant scenics. Yummy color. You can get it in 35mm too.
on September 23, 2010
A great option for 120 medium format photography, this film has rich colors and sharp images. Using ISO 100 film is relatively grain free and beautiful clarity.
55 comments|14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2014
Back in The Day, I shot hundreds of rolls of VPS III - the purported "ASA 160" film you had to shoot at ASA 100 to get it to come out right. Like everyone else, I developed a love-hate relationship with it - loved how the work looked, hated that you had to keep it in the fridge and overexpose it by two-thirds of a stop.

Now we have Ektar 100. A great film - probably the best we've ever had. The grain is imperceptible even at high magnification; I have a very good scanner and can't see grain in an 800-percent enlargement. Color's fantastic, and - drum roll please! - you can store it at room temperature!

This is available in 120 and 35mm formats. It's great either way.
on December 6, 2011
You don't get as much of a exposure latitude as you do with Kodak's Portra line of films (the newer ones) but it is still a very nice film. Some say it is not good for portraits because of how it renders skin tones but it did a good job in my opinion.