Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kodak 120 Professional Portra Color Film (ISO 160) 1808674
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

TOP 100 REVIEWERon March 22, 2012
This is hands down one of the best portrait films around. The new ISO160 edition is ideal, leaving little to no visible grain for enlargements! Now for those who started digital and are working their way backwards, you probably won't enjoy the muted colors and contrast...I find the popular trend right now is to over-process in terms of saturation and contrast. That said, I challenge you to take a look at a dozen high-fashion shoots and tell me whether the majority of them are over-saturated or muted...exactly.

PROS
- True-to-life skin tones
- Comparatively slightly desaturated, perfect for portraits
- Extremely fine grain structure
- Trusted by most pro film shooters
- Scans VERY well

CONS
- NONE.

OVERALL
Most experts agree, there is little to match this film for portraiture. Many medium format editorial/fashion shooters that have not gone digital still trust this as the only film to give that high fashion look! As a wedding photographer, the skin tones this film produces alone make this worth the minimal price premium. Throw it in a 645, and enjoy portraiture GOLD.
on October 29, 2013
Kodak 120 Professional Porta Color 160 Film, is a top quality product. It serves well for any subject matter in its ability to capture the most subtle variation in both color and value. The hues are rich without looking too saturated (which can of course be desirable with different films under other circumstances) capturing a lovely, fine grain, naturalistic quality. When shooting portraits or any shallow space subject matter, Porta Color handles reflected light and color beautifully. The ISO of 160 works well under a variety of light situations. The combination of 120 format and the use of a tripod can deliver some spectacular results. Reasonably priced, too.
on May 25, 2014
I'm just getting into medium format photography, and this is amazing. I'm enjoying this film so much I'm considering selling my digital camera. Some day, perhaps, film will no longer be made, but until then, I'll be shooting this and Tri-X . The colors are wonderful and accurate, the grain is superfine, and it scans well.

Highly recommended.
on December 14, 2015
Where do you even start to describe Kodak's Porta 160 film? Kodak his wants it done hit it out of the park with this film. This color film does offer a softness in the color while remaining low noise. This film is excellent for portraits, light colored scenes, snow, and the like.
on November 6, 2014
This is the best color negative film the resolution is just amazing, its not iso 160 but rather 100. really nice skin tones, if you want to shoot people then this is only choice with the other portras.

I truly hope that Kodak will continue to produce color negative films and that they wont keep upping the prices!! they are forcing analog pro photographers to become crappy digital shooters that chimp like nuts when trying to get a shot right. With film the real photography, not based on composite images in PS or chimping on camera or spraying 1000 shots and pray to get something right is starting to disappear.

Watch out with flash as negative color C-41 and Portra, specially the new portra has bluish cyan cold tones with flash. you might need to adjust with gels the temp of your lights.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2012
I have used this film and am able to obtain such magnificent tones & colors. Film is beautiful and really spot on when your camera settings are set properly. I suggest playing with your settings and experimenting with the right look for you.
on March 12, 2014
What can i say - using the old Halina or the Yashica TLR I have yet to find a better portrait film - skin tones are beautiful and colors are warm and true - I really love this film and wait in anticipation every time I send a roll off for developing.
on October 20, 2014
I take a lot of landscape photos of Vermont and depend upon the film to faithfully capture the iridescent colors of autumn. While this film is great for portraits that tone down harsh skin tones, the under-saturation makes naturally iridescent colors a bit flat compared to other films that pay compliments to nature with realistic colors. Also, while Portra film is among the least expensive of the 120 films, the cost per photo almost makes me nervous with each photo. My 645 camera takes 15 photos, so including processing I am looking at a dollar fifty per photo, and my 6x6 camera makes 12 photos and the cost rises even more. While I do not recommend this for autumn landscapes I do recommend Portra for photos of people where muted skin tones are desirable.
on August 19, 2013
Portra 160 is my favorite of the Kodak Portra Line, Skin looks absolutely Beautiful with this film. Looks good shot at box speed, but I really like the way it looks overexposed 1 stop, and it can easily handle more exposure than that. Meter correctly (don't underexpose) send it to a good lab and you won't be disappointed.
on February 21, 2014
I absolutely adore the look this film gives. I mostly take "people" shots, and this stuff handles colors beautifully.

I also shoot a lot of digital, but when I want that "look", I reach for my medium format camera and shoot Portra. It really IS better.