5.0 out of 5 stars If you shoot b/w, but haven't shot Tri-X, just do it!
Published on November 5, 2011 by brh

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy from sellers other than Amazon!
They WAY overcharged! I paid $40 in shipping for a $7.00 roll of film! But I didn't know it until I received my order because I also paid for another bigger item at the same time (shipped through someone else) so I assumed that was why it cost so much; but it was the film!!! I will never buy from them again. I can buy film here for $4 a roll. But as a newbie getting...
Published 13 months ago by Elina Sayers

5.0 out of 5 stars If you shoot b/w, but haven't shot Tri-X, just do it!, November 5, 2011
This review is from: Kodak Tri-X 400TX Professional ISO 400, 36mm, Black and White Film (Electronics)
Tri-X is a classic among classics. A Kodak rep, in a recent article about their film division sang the praises of the recent new formulation of T-MAX 400 even mentioned that they haven't dared to touch Tri-X because of it's standing as a true classic. When I first got into photography, I immediately felt disdain for Tri-X. I considered it a 'student film,' the mark of a true amateur! Years down the road, I became less snobby and less foolish, and it has entered my top three film choices of all time (Acros and PanF+ are the other two, for the curious...)

So, for those who don't know, here's the skinny on Tri-X. It's a classic grain emulsion. And, that grain will probably show, but it will look smooth and sexy. It's closest competition in the market, Ilford HP5+, has much sharper, in-your-face grain, in my opinion. You can push and pull Tri-X 2 stops in whatever developer you ordinarily use without really batting an eyelash.

You can abuse Tri-X. One doesn't typically encouraging abusing things, but Tri-X takes what you throw at it in stride. I keep it in the camera that stays in my trunk, because situations might not necessarily allow me to get a proper exposure at all times, and I don't have the luxury of picking a film for a specific situation with that camera. I respool Minox with it for the same reason. In fact, it's a go-to film for any camera without a meter, where one has to assess exposure in one's head. With that much room for error (for me, at least... I never said sunny/16 was my forté!), a forgiving film is handy. And Tri-X forgives and forgives...

Tri-X looks good, gives consistent results, and allows the photographer to make mistakes. The only thing it does not do well is age -- please shoot this stuff before it expires. Expired Tri-X tends to get blotchy, like it has the measles.

All in all, a good price for a great film (36 exp in 135 format). You know you want to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Darkroom Dwellers, January 18, 2010
It's been a while since I've splashed around in a darkroom, but seeing that Tri-X is still produced has got me thinking about setting up my development gear again and doing the old magic with all its strange lighting and smells and trickling water.

Anyway, Tri-X definitely makes grainy prints, but that's the beauty of it. Digital black and white just doesn't have the mystery about it that this old film has, and creating a bit of wonder is what black and white is all about.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply the best, March 17, 2012
Kodak Tri-x 400 is my favorite film. Images are hella crisp, with the right amount of grain. There's nothing like it. I like to buy one when ordering around $20 of books, and then the shipping's (usually) free. or even better, get them from CVS. If darkrooms are hard to come by in your useless town, try thedarkroom.com. Super great results in about three days.

This sounds like a sketchy advertisement but i'm super genuine in my creepy corporate loyalties.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shot Tri-X 400 for two semesters, February 9, 2007
ARC (United States) - See all my reviews
I bought a brick of this several years ago for a couple of black-and-white photography classes and was pretty pleased with it. Tri-X requires less development time than TMax, so there's less waiting around until you can get back to the fun stuff in the darkroom. It is a little grainy because of the film speed, but in this case the grain gave the finished photos a very pleasing quality that I wouldn't have had if I'd shot with some slower film.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best B&W film for portraits, be they of people or be they of pets, June 1, 2010
sarah "sheologian" (Raleigh-Durham, NC) - See all my reviews
I am a mostly digital girl, and this is the only film I use for portraits when I shoot in a film camera. I do not shoot for bells and whistles nor do I have high-end camera equipment. This is the same black and white film that used to be extremely readily available (those were days) when I was in high school, and I am so very glad that I have wonderful photos taken on it in my beloved point-and-shoot: of the kindergarteners which were in my care as a YMCA camp counselor and of my friends and (mis)adventures throughout my senior year. It is not so easy to find as it was then, so I like to get it in the multi-packs here, where the price is reasonable. I'm still using the same Old Reliable Olympus Point and Shoot, and they still come out like a dream.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not Tmax, it's TriX, February 20, 2012
I shoot Tmax 100 and 400 normally, and I shoot quite a bit of it. The other day I noticed that I had 2 35mm rolls of TriX 400 and figured that I might as well shoot and process them together for ease of processing time. So after two rolls of playing around and shooting whatever just to get it over with I was pleasantly surprised with the results. Nice grain, deep blacks, and great details and tone.

While I will probably still be using Tmax 100 in my older slower cameras, I think I will be changing my primary 400 speed B&W film to TriX.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, July 19, 2013
This is great, very forgiving, b&w film. The 400 speed makes it very versatile. I like how the grain is there, but not so much that it overpowers the picture. You can push this film to 1600 or even 3200 with great results.

5.0 out of 5 stars <3, January 10, 2013
Shawn Ramirez (San Antonio, Txx USA) - See all my reviews
buy it while it lasts, its my favorite B&W film it sits next to my Portra. I love it. Feel free to buy me some too. lol

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, May 12, 2014
If you are shooting b&w, this is the classic film. It is forgiving if you are a student or newbie, and can be push/pulled 1-2 stops and still maintain integrity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection in black and white, May 3, 2014
Perfection in black and white. Kodak Tri-X is the best black and white film. It has probably produced more photos that all other films combined. In the hands of a real photographer and developer it can yield incredible results. The down side is that you will have no excuses.