5.0 out of 5 stars If you shoot b/w, but haven't shot Tri-X, just do it!
Published on November 5, 2011 by brh

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much grain
I'm trying to learn BW photography. Maybe grain is useful in certain photographs. But I was disappointed with the photographs I took with this film. In a better photographer's camera this may be useful.
Published 18 months ago by Wendell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars If you shoot b/w, but haven't shot Tri-X, just do it!, November 5, 2011
This review is from: Kodak Tri-X 400TX Professional ISO 400, 35mm, Black and White Film (Electronics)
Tri-X is a classic among classics. A Kodak rep, in a recent article about their film division sang the praises of the recent new formulation of T-MAX 400 even mentioned that they haven't dared to touch Tri-X because of it's standing as a true classic. When I first got into photography, I immediately felt disdain for Tri-X. I considered it a 'student film,' the mark of a true amateur! Years down the road, I became less snobby and less foolish, and it has entered my top three film choices of all time (Acros and PanF+ are the other two, for the curious...)

So, for those who don't know, here's the skinny on Tri-X. It's a classic grain emulsion. And, that grain will probably show, but it will look smooth and sexy. It's closest competition in the market, Ilford HP5+, has much sharper, in-your-face grain, in my opinion. You can push and pull Tri-X 2 stops in whatever developer you ordinarily use without really batting an eyelash.

You can abuse Tri-X. One doesn't typically encouraging abusing things, but Tri-X takes what you throw at it in stride. I keep it in the camera that stays in my trunk, because situations might not necessarily allow me to get a proper exposure at all times, and I don't have the luxury of picking a film for a specific situation with that camera. I respool Minox with it for the same reason. In fact, it's a go-to film for any camera without a meter, where one has to assess exposure in one's head. With that much room for error (for me, at least... I never said sunny/16 was my forté!), a forgiving film is handy. And Tri-X forgives and forgives...

Tri-X looks good, gives consistent results, and allows the photographer to make mistakes. The only thing it does not do well is age -- please shoot this stuff before it expires. Expired Tri-X tends to get blotchy, like it has the measles.

All in all, a good price for a great film (36 exp in 135 format). You know you want to!

5.0 out of 5 stars simply the best, March 17, 2012
Kodak Tri-x 400 is my favorite film. Images are hella crisp, with the right amount of grain. There's nothing like it. I like to buy one when ordering around $20 of books, and then the shipping's (usually) free. or even better, get them from CVS. If darkrooms are hard to come by in your useless town, try thedarkroom.com. Super great results in about three days.

This sounds like a sketchy advertisement but i'm super genuine in my creepy corporate loyalties.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kodak Tri-X-400 Film ------> If you haven't already, you must "Tri-X" it!, November 22, 2013
William (WILLIMANTIC, CT, United States) - See all my reviews
Great price for outstanding results! This is my favorite choice for B&W film! Excellent contrast, grain controlled nicely, versatile & forgiving!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, July 19, 2013
This is great, very forgiving, b&w film. The 400 speed makes it very versatile. I like how the grain is there, but not so much that it overpowers the picture. You can push this film to 1600 or even 3200 with great results.

5.0 out of 5 stars <3, January 10, 2013
Shawn Ramirez (San Antonio, Txx USA) - See all my reviews
buy it while it lasts, its my favorite B&W film it sits next to my Portra. I love it. Feel free to buy me some too. lol

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, May 12, 2014
If you are shooting b&w, this is the classic film. It is forgiving if you are a student or newbie, and can be push/pulled 1-2 stops and still maintain integrity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection in black and white, May 3, 2014
Perfection in black and white. Kodak Tri-X is the best black and white film. It has probably produced more photos that all other films combined. In the hands of a real photographer and developer it can yield incredible results. The down side is that you will have no excuses.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Tri-X-Pan., April 27, 2014
I came fast. It was the same price as it is from B & H in NYC. I have already processed all these rolls and film was good. Very happy with purchase. And yes, it is Tri-X-pan not the other tri whatever crappy film.

5.0 out of 5 stars My fav, March 14, 2014
I simply love this film, the grain is SUPERB! I recommend it to anyone who wants to achieve that classic look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, March 1, 2014
I like the old fashion way to make photograph and the results you can get with this film are really stunning. The film is great and it worth every penny. Totally recommend.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›