Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on November 5, 2011
Tri-X is a classic among classics. A Kodak rep, in a recent article about their film division sang the praises of the recent new formulation of T-MAX 400 even mentioned that they haven't dared to touch Tri-X because of it's standing as a true classic. When I first got into photography, I immediately felt disdain for Tri-X. I considered it a 'student film,' the mark of a true amateur! Years down the road, I became less snobby and less foolish, and it has entered my top three film choices of all time (Acros and PanF+ are the other two, for the curious...)

So, for those who don't know, here's the skinny on Tri-X. It's a classic grain emulsion. And, that grain will probably show, but it will look smooth and sexy. It's closest competition in the market, Ilford HP5+, has much sharper, in-your-face grain, in my opinion. You can push and pull Tri-X 2 stops in whatever developer you ordinarily use without really batting an eyelash.

You can abuse Tri-X. One doesn't typically encouraging abusing things, but Tri-X takes what you throw at it in stride. I keep it in the camera that stays in my trunk, because situations might not necessarily allow me to get a proper exposure at all times, and I don't have the luxury of picking a film for a specific situation with that camera. I respool Minox with it for the same reason. In fact, it's a go-to film for any camera without a meter, where one has to assess exposure in one's head. With that much room for error (for me, at least... I never said sunny/16 was my forté!), a forgiving film is handy. And Tri-X forgives and forgives...

Tri-X looks good, gives consistent results, and allows the photographer to make mistakes. The only thing it does not do well is age -- please shoot this stuff before it expires. Expired Tri-X tends to get blotchy, like it has the measles.

All in all, a good price for a great film (36 exp in 135 format). You know you want to!
on March 17, 2012
Kodak Tri-x 400 is my favorite film. Images are hella crisp, with the right amount of grain. There's nothing like it. I like to buy one when ordering around $20 of books, and then the shipping's (usually) free. or even better, get them from CVS. If darkrooms are hard to come by in your useless town, try thedarkroom.com. Super great results in about three days.

This sounds like a sketchy advertisement but i'm super genuine in my creepy corporate loyalties.
on January 18, 2010
It's been a while since I've splashed around in a darkroom, but seeing that Tri-X is still produced has got me thinking about setting up my development gear again and doing the old magic with all its strange lighting and smells and trickling water.

Anyway, Tri-X definitely makes grainy prints, but that's the beauty of it. Digital black and white just doesn't have the mystery about it that this old film has, and creating a bit of wonder is what black and white is all about.
on February 9, 2007
I bought a brick of this several years ago for a couple of black-and-white photography classes and was pretty pleased with it. Tri-X requires less development time than TMax, so there's less waiting around until you can get back to the fun stuff in the darkroom. It is a little grainy because of the film speed, but in this case the grain gave the finished photos a very pleasing quality that I wouldn't have had if I'd shot with some slower film.
on April 11, 2014
It's my favorite. I know there are ILford fans who will disagree. But this film can be pulled to 100 or pushed to 3200. And gives amazing results, "IF" you do your own developing and know what you're doing; or have a good Pro Lab who does. If you don't, contact me and I'll give you details on a great Pro Lab.
on August 10, 2015
I originally got this, because my photography teacher got this cheap quality film and my pictures would never come out. Which can be very frustrating. Because, you have to restart the whole process all over again, by shooting and developing the film.
My good friend told me to use the Kodak Tri-X 400TX film instead of the teacher's film. So i did, and it was such a difference! My pictures were in my much better quality plus i got more out of it than the other kids who were stuck using the teacher's film. I like it a lot! and would suggest this to anyone who is first starting film photography or is a professional in film photography.
on July 19, 2013
This is great, very forgiving, b&w film. The 400 speed makes it very versatile. I like how the grain is there, but not so much that it overpowers the picture. You can push this film to 1600 or even 3200 with great results.
on June 1, 2010
I am a mostly digital girl, and this is the only film I use for portraits when I shoot in a film camera. I do not shoot for bells and whistles nor do I have high-end camera equipment. This is the same black and white film that used to be extremely readily available (those were days) when I was in high school, and I am so very glad that I have wonderful photos taken on it in my beloved point-and-shoot: of the kindergarteners which were in my care as a YMCA camp counselor and of my friends and (mis)adventures throughout my senior year. It is not so easy to find as it was then, so I like to get it in the multi-packs here, where the price is reasonable. I'm still using the same Old Reliable Olympus Point and Shoot, and they still come out like a dream.
on March 3, 2015
This is a must have film to use when shooting in black and white. The darks and whites are bold and the grain is to a low. Even taking a bad photo still looks kinda good because when you see these come out, they look amazing.
on June 11, 2014
There is nothing as wonderful as photos taken with film. Can NOT be matched with digital for quality and depth. CAN NOT!
great to find Kodak brand on anything, and I still go to an old school camera shop that develops, prints and enlarges.